Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Oct 2012 13:32:04 BDT
Mr. W. Dyer says:
So, I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Simply can I take this copy of Windows 8 and install it on a blank Hard Drive?

Thanks,

Posted on 17 Oct 2012 18:03:07 BDT
No, this is an upgrade copy. The policy regarding this is the same as on any other version of Windows, it must be installed over a currently installed version of Windows XP, Vista or 7

Posted on 17 Oct 2012 18:26:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Oct 2012 18:27:18 BDT
If you don't happen to have a Windows XP/Vista/7 to update from then you can do the following. Google Windows 8 customer Preview --> goto the Microsoft Site -->down load the FREE Windows 8 customer Preview and then update from that to Windows 8 proper (choosing clean install to format the hard drive and install the Windows 8 Update as a "new install"). Be quick though they may withdraw the free download soon.

Posted on 20 Oct 2012 00:45:31 BDT
RichS says:
Now that the OP's Q is answered, I have a similar one. I actually do have Windows 7 (Home Premium) installed, but I want to install a fresh copy of Windows 8 so no old files or settings are saved, and I also want to remove a partition. Will this copy let me do this? Previous installs have usually asked "do you want to wipe all data", but I've never bought an 'upgrade' before.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2012 12:56:13 BDT
Yep you can choose to perform a clean install from Windows 7. Don't forget to delete the partitions during install (it will be given as an option during the custom install). Also make sure you have your Product Key for Windows 7 handy (Microsoft want to check you have a genuine version).

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2012 16:34:29 BDT
RichS says:
thanks very much!

Posted on 21 Oct 2012 10:50:06 BDT
Because this is just an upgrade version and going by what it states in the graph in the product details, I thought that this would only remove Windows files and upgrade them and only keep your personal files intact, surely you'd have to format/clean install your PC using XP, Vista or Win7 (or use the Win8 preview edition as already mentioned by someone else) and then upgrade from there.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2012 11:16:23 BDT
Having made sure you have backed up ALL the files you want to keep do the following to perform a completely clean install. Boot from the DVD and choose Custom Install Advanced (not Upgrade). Delete the partition(s) and then carry on with the clean install. Please note all information will be removed from the disk prior to the clean install.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2012 12:11:29 BDT
Djpage says:
Not only that, iirc after a certain time you won't be able to use the preview versions, so I'm not entirely sure if you'll still be able to use this route once it can't be used any more.

Posted on 21 Oct 2012 12:13:31 BDT
Djpage says:
Sorry, thought I posted it, but "Windows 8 System Builder" Is the version you require for a clean install. But I've not found and information on pricing as yet for it, hopefully that will be made available before it's release.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2012 13:49:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Oct 2012 14:10:04 BDT
I think you'll find that you can do a clean install from the upgrade version - indeed when upgrading from Windows XP the ONLY option is to perform a clean install. I believe that the System Builder Version is required when you do not have a version of Windows to upgrade from. However if you do have a version of Windows XP/Vista/7/8 Customer Preview then you can perform a clean install - If booting from the DVD or Flash Drive just choose the Custom Install Advanced Option when prompted (not the Upgrade option) or if running the setup from within an existing copy of Windows choose not to keep any files.

If you Google Clean Install Windows 8 upgrade you'll see numerous detailed articles giving step by step details - Computer World do a good one.

BTW I believe that the customer preview version of Windows 8 will last until early in the New Year -15th January 2013 (see Wikipedia).

Posted on 21 Oct 2012 16:20:11 BDT
Can anyone tell me if the upgrade version has language choices upon installation? I live in France and want to install Windows 8 in ENGLISH. Will I be given the choice upon installation? My current OS, Windows Vista, cannot be changed to English?!?!

Thanks for any help....

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2012 16:39:27 BDT
Once you have installed the OS using the supplied language (in your case French) you can then change the operating language to any one of 168 flavours via the Control Panel (i.e you download the appropriate language Pack via control panel). Unfortunately I have no idea about the scope or quality of these downloadable language packs.

Alternatively you could download Windows 8 Upgrade direct from the Microsoft Site and choose the UK English version. Wait 'till after next weeks launch and then Google Windows 8 download Microsoft - that is provided Orange/SFR/Free or whoever can provide you with enough bandwidth to download a very large file (roughly 2.5Gbytes for 32 bit version and 3.5 Gbytes for the 64bit).

Bonne chance mon ami

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2012 17:10:47 BDT
Well, merci vous! I'm going to the Microsoft site right now to download the trial version. Hope it is as good as some say....

Posted on 24 Oct 2012 12:17:15 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Oct 2012 12:17:46 BDT]

Posted on 25 Oct 2012 00:53:28 BDT
CrusaderUK says:
So i need to buy one of these per PC i wish to install it on? Because i have 2 desktops i want to put Windows 8 on.

And the "Clean Install" thing does that mean if for example i have a "messy" Windows Vista pc and i wanted to put on windows 8 without all the crap still on my pc i can just do that or should i restore my pc back to factory settings and then install Windows 8?

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 08:29:48 BDT
A. G. Lawson says:
As with all previous upgrade versions of Windows I would expect that if you launch the installer from within Windows it will do an "Upgrade" of your current system, that will retain settings/installed programs/etc.
If however you want to use the upgrade as a chance to start afresh, boot from the DVD, when you get to the point in the installer where it asks where to install, delete the existing partition (probably worth making a backup of your data first) and click next... By this point it will have already checked for a valid windows upgrade path.
In the past I had an experience where I was installing onto a new hard disk, the Windows installer prompted me to insert a install disc for a previous version of Windows... It's always worth keeping one handy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  17 Oct 2012
Latest post:  26 Oct 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC)
Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC) by Microsoft Software (Windows 8)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (876)