- Paperback: 192 pages
- Publisher: Longman; 1 edition (29 Oct. 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1408225603
- ISBN-13: 978-1408225608
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 1.3 x 21.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (8 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 429,785 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Classroom Gems: Games, Ideas and Activities for Learning Outside the Primary Classroom Paperback – 29 Oct 2009
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
From the Back Cover
Designed with busy teachers in mind, the Classroom Gemsseries draws together an extensive selection of practical, tried-and-tested, off-the-shelf ideas, games and activities, guaranteed to transform any lesson or classroom in an instant.
Easily navigable, allowing you to choose the right activity quickly and easily, these invaluable resources are guaranteed to save you time and are a must-have tool to plan, prepare and deliver first-rate lessons.
Practical Ideas, Games and Activities for Learning Outside the Primary Classroom is a resource that you will treasure, helping you bring the outdoors into your teaching. This book offers a wealth of ideas for learning outside the normal classroom environment, offering inspiration to new and experienced teachers alike.
This easy-to-use guide provides all of the tips, tools and techniques that you will need, including:
· Easily navigable, page-to-view activity format
· Step-by-step instructions for each activity
· Ideas for adapting activities to suit different age groups/abilities
· Variations to develop the activity further and link to other curriculum areas
Instant ideas to brighten up your classroom!
Paul Barron is an experienced primary school teacher and has compiled this book in response to the needs of real teachers. This book is a collection of the resources that Paul has tried and tested in the classroom over the years, with great results.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
1) This is an activity book not an advice book nor one which reflects upon the value of outdoor learning.
2) Many activities will not be new to teachers or outdoor professionals who work a lot with children outside. However the presentation of the material is great and quickly accessible via the index and curriculum areas. It is still well worth buying.
3) Traditional activities such as leaf rubbings are expanded upon in an open-ended and flexible ways. Many of the suggestions are helpful in terms of taking a problem solving approach within an activity that aids high order thinking. I particularly liked the "Pass the Stick" activity.
4) Art, design and technology are a key focus. This is a clear interest of the author. Using digital technology is covered within the activities rather than as a separate section.
5) How to introduce pattern work outdoors is nicely explained. The art of storytelling is succinctly explained in another section. There are some good suggestions around farm visits.
I do not think, given the range of possibilities that exist for taking learning outside, that one book can ever do this subject justice. However this book is a welcome starting point for developing the habit of taking children outside on a frequent, regular basis.
The children in my class have loved doing the activities from the book & I've recommended it to all of my teaching colleagues & friends who like doing outdoor activities with their own kids.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great little companion book with a bundle of ideas. Each activity is great within itself and superb as a springboard into promoting a child's curiosity. Read morePublished on 27 Dec. 2012 by C. Pearce
As a new Forest school leader I was struggling for ideas. This book provides lots of useful ideas for learning in the outdoors both for Forest school and classroom teachers. Read morePublished on 31 May 2011 by fabfay
This book has re - energised my teaching, it is a fabulous resource with so many useful and practical ideas. Read morePublished on 19 Nov. 2009 by Ms. Isabel Bamford
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Classroom Management
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Lesson planning > Teaching Aids & Educational Material
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > School Systems > Primary
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Teacher Training
- Books > Science & Nature > Education
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies