on 30 December 2012
I bought this as it was free and thoroughy enjoyed it, Jim turns into a completly different person than you first think. The relationship between all characters is believable and fun. By the time i was half way through this book i had already downloaded the next 3. The characters are fun and believable and their stories progress thrugh the series. If you want a good read this is a fab book. Well done Mr Moats and keep writing pls
on 25 March 2013
I wasn't sure how I would find this book from the initial description. Reading through gripped me from the start and the ideology being similar to the Saw series kept me reading through to the end. Twist at the end made this an unmissable read!
on 9 December 2013
I must have read about ¾ of this book before giving up.

It is too predictable and I completely lost interests. The story is unbelievable and all the characters weak.

It starts well but in the end you are not really interested in the outcome.

To believe that a 60 year old man, with a pot belly, living at home with his parents, can find that a very attractive female television personality finds him the best thing since sliced bread it something that we all would wish would happen to us but is so unlikely it is farcical. The descriptions of this events are ridiculous.

Don't bother too read it.

Also to believe that this person can solve a murder with the help of a buddy, who is also such an unbelievable character, is stretching the imagination too far.

As usual the police are idiots and are totally unable to solve the murder despite the evidence.
on 26 March 2013
Not a bad read. A little bit predictable in places but in others a bit of suspense to make you carry on reading
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 March 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It is a little different to other crime novels I have read as it is not graphically gory and the characters are a little different, especially the protagonist Jim Richards an unemployed 60 year old who turns out to be pretty good at investigating crime.

The characters have depth and the story has good humour, a nice pace and a good amount of twists and turns. I was very impressed. If you enjoy crime novels but prefer not to read those that include graphic violence and gore, this should be right up your street. I shall certainly be reading more from this series in the future.
on 25 March 2014
I got this as a freebie to try out my new Kindle. It was fairly enjoyable but I did feel as though it was a first novel or something (not sure if it was his first). I felt as though the characters could certainly grow but for now, they were all a bit too shallow. The writing was hurried too; reminded me of when you're a kid and you're writing a story for school and it starts out well but gets lax towards the middle when you get bored of it. Little things I noticed that he could elaborate on to give it more depth, such as when they go to a diner and all he says is that they "ate their food". Stephen King would have told us what they had!

The main characters were supposed to be late 50's early 60's and they were like teenagers - oversexed 58 year old ex-cheerleader; 60 year old guy living in his bedroom in his parents' house, ......could have at least given Jim a bit more credibility and had the house divided up into 2 apartments. Unless Bob Moats really did want him to come across as some kind of 60 year old emo kid? Who knows? The characters could grow though and I hope they do because I think there is room for a 60 year old amateur detective in the literary world. I may read some of the others but probably only if they're doing them free again on Kindle.....which isn't going to boost Bob's bank balance much unfortunately.
on 29 October 2013
I keep trying to find decent thrillers in the free section on Amazon, in the hope of discovering some fantastic piece of undiscovered writing or an interesting new voice in fiction. I've learned the hard way that all those glowing reviews are either written by friends and family, by well-meaning people who want to be encouraging or occasionally by review factories in Bangalore. I can't think how else they would gain such high ratings.
Take this book, for example. It's OK. It's a competent murder mystery. It's not particularly exciting or original. There aren't any howling mistakes or typos. The one interesting thing about it is that the characters are a bit older than the usual protagonists. Let's hear it for the middle-aged! Yet 15 people gave it 5 stars, and another 9 gave it four stars (at time of writing). I think that's over stating it. Three is fine.
on 14 February 2014
I quite liked this book. In light of recent events, I found it spookily apocryphal. Six High School cheerleaders fabricate an accusation of sexual impropriety against an unpopular male gym teacher, thus destroying his career. 40 years later it is time for revenge and they are murdered one by one, having been given prior warning, and whilst under police protection. The storyline runs smoothly through the first 5 victims, it is the way the final one (a major character) is located and abducted which I felt was too much a stretch of the imagination. I felt as though the author had painted himself into a corner and wqs struggling to find a way out.

Still worth a read though!
on 30 December 2012
This is a great book and definitely worth a read. Bob never disappoints with his adventures of Jim and Penny. Don't miss the other books in this series. Join the Bob Moats appreciation society today!
on 4 June 2016
I read the blurb for this book and was intrigued.
Jim is an elderly man,who you would think was in his early 20"s with the way he acts.
Jim helps find the murderers of his school friends, while also trying to not let anyone else get killed.
While lightly annoying the police force for his own reasons.
This book is a mystery,full of humour and with characters that you instantly think "I could hang with them" I really enjoyed this book and can not wait to read the rest.