- Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
|1. IT'S GOT THE WHOLE WORLD SHAKIN'|
|2. PAPA'S GOT A BRAND NEW BAG|
|3. EL BANDIDO|
|4. DAWN YAWN|
|5. GET ON THE RIGHT TRACK BABY|
|6. LOVEY DOVEY|
|7. SEE SAW|
|8. SOUL STOMP|
|9. THE WORLD IS ROUND|
|10. MONKEYING AROUND|
|11. SWEET THING|
|13. POINT OF NO RETURN|
|14. LI'L DARLIN'|
|15. FUNNY HOW TIME SLIPS AWAY|
|16. PREACH AND TEACH|
|17. PARCHMAN FARM|
|18. MOVE IT ON OVER|
|19. LAST NIGHT|
|20. MUSIC TALK|
See all 24 tracks on this disc
* This is the first vinyl compilation of Georgie Fame's Columbia recordings since 1979's "Beat Classics" and is designed to complement that seminal work. While that went for the hits and the singles, "Mod Classics" goes for the dancefloor appeal of 24 tracks that mix jazz, rhythm and blues and soul.
* Georgie and his group, the Blue Flames, were the hippest outfit in mid-60s London. Their residency at Soho's Flamingo Club was a fixture for mods and American GIs, who danced all night to the sounds of black America and Georgie's interpretations of it. Georgie covered the hippest jazz cuts, the most obscure soul from Stax, Motown and Okeh and would also show his love of rhythm and blues with his take on numbers by Ray Charles and Sam Cooke.
* Cuts such as `El Bandido', `Last Night', `Sweet Thing' and `Outrage' are seminal mod club classics, while his album "Sound Venture" showed Georgie to be the hippest cat in town with a band featuring Tubby Hayes, Ronnie Scott and many of the hottest names of British jazz. The cut `Dawn Yawn', from that album, written by Georgie, is a masterpiece describing a trawl through Soho clubs and the melancholia of an early morning trip home.
* This compilation shows that there was more to Georgie Fame than the hits of `Yeh, Yeh!' and `Getaway' - this is the Georgie of the Flamingo All-Nighter, a man worshipped by the mods.