on 5 October 2005
I have been looking forward to this book for some time as I have found it hard to find attractive, plus-size patterns in yarns that are readily available in the UK. I have been a member of Rowan International for some years, and although I love the Rowan magazine, have always been limited to knitting scarves, accessories or children's wear because of the size restrictions. I hoped that this book would enable me to knit a Rowan jumper or cardigan for myself at last.

However, having seen the patterns in the book, I am deeply disappointed. There is nothing there that I couldn't design for myself with a book of sweater design and a stitch pattern reference. Where is the sense of style that epitomises Rowan? Where are the colours? Why is every design a big, shapeless sack? The patterns are plain, monotone and just DULL.

I find it hard to understand why Rowan consider this to be the style preference of larger knitters. We aren't all over 50; some of us are young women who want to knit and wear attractive, shapely styles as much as our slimmer sisters do. And even larger knitters over 50 that I know are also less than impressed with the designs.

Rowan would do well to look at the wide range of sizes in American knitting books and magazines, and also online knitting magazines such as Knitty, which manage to provide attractive, fashonable patterns in a wide range of sizes - and best of all, they're free...
11 comment|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2009
Having read the other reviews I was a little uncertain about this book. I needn't have worried , I think its great. The patterns are above all practical, and classic designs which can always be 'souped up' by altering the yarn. I am quite happy with them all as they are. I am a larger lady and find it hard to find knitwear that fits, I usually have to buy mens and its nice to find some realistic patterns. My only problem is which one to knit first!
on 14 May 2012
I too was concerned that the styles in the book might not be me - but they are. Joy. I looked at Martin Storey's designs on the internet, decided that I liked most so bought the book. Good decision, it has plenty in there in various yarn thicknesses, and sufficient size variations to make it worthwhile.
True, the designs are pretty standard, not exciting (I don't want exciting to walk around Sainsburys) but not dull, especially when you take into account the variety of yarns which can be used. The styles are reliable, very comfortable and wearable something that seems to have gone from the knitwear section of many stores today. It won't suit everyone, but it suits me, pleased about that.
on 7 March 2011
Now I'm a big fan of Rowan Knits and have been for many years, but sometimes the designs can get a little too young for me. This book fills that gap nicely for some flattering classic designs for their older or larger followers. Not all of them appeal to me, and the colours used in the book are either neutral or dark so they may not have an immediate impact on first viewing which is a pity as some more adventurous colours would have brought out the designs more. What I was also interested to see was the range of techniques covered, so there is something there for everyone. This is a book I will probably turn to time and time again.
on 25 April 2013
I sent this book back as it is the same as the american edition despite having a different ISBN number (etc) and a different cover (same ladies but wearing brown garments). I thought it might be a follow-on, but it wasn't. I feel very strongly that one should be able to look inside knitting books. How on earth do you know that you want to knit from the book without seeing what the patterns are?
on 20 February 2016
Classic Knits for real Women .... I too am over 50 - actually nearer 60 (58 and a very happy size 18) and also a very experienced knitter. So I can and do 'tweak' knitting patterns when knitting for myself before because some authors of knitting books think that anyone over a size 12 shouldnt be seen in their designs! A lot of modern knitting books seem to cater for younger ladies and those with stick thin bodies and arms and small boobs! Indeed the models in the photographs in some of the books looking like they could do with a good meal inside them and looking like they have had the garments sewn onto them - they are so tight ;) This Book - by comparison - is like a breath of fresh air! Every single pattern in this book has been designed with care and the women photographed have been consulted on their views of the garments - as to their wearability.
My daughter who is in her early thirties - also loves and approved of the garments I have knitted for myself from this book, so much so that she has requested I knit them for not only her but also matching ones for my 8 year old granddaughter! Obviously I need to scale the patterns down to accommodate her smaller frame, but that was easy to do. None of these patterns can be described as fuddy duddy as another reviewer implied. They were written after much research into the female form to make sure the finished garment accommodates the female shape and because they are of one colour you can apply your own patterns and add colours of your choosing to make the garments as individual as you are.
Summary: If you want to wear Elegant, Timeless and Classy knitted garments which encapsulates the glorious woman that you are and without feeling like mutton dressed as lamb?Then This is the book for you. Enjoy knitting and wearing these Gorgeous creations in every part of your life whether you are an Outdoor girl at heart like me with muddy dogs (a walking, riding and gardening lady) or a more refined lady who likes to lunch with the girls - make this your go to book for knits that can be dressed up and down
Gorgeous knits that are anything but shapeless and go with everything you have knowing you will look and feel great wearing 24/7/365? This book is for You! Its
Absolutely Fabulous Darlings and 100% Recommended
on 22 August 2012
Having looked for knitting patterns for the larger woman this fits the bill . Easy to follow instructions & clearly written. Knitted the coat whilst watching the Olympics!
on 9 August 2013
Very Happy with item I have bought, This is my first buy and I am looking forwards to buying again Excellent super fast service, Many Thanks, Regards Linda
on 15 May 2006
These are classic patterns in elegant designs perfect for any of us who only have fond memories of being size 12. The designs cover something for every occasion and are suitable for any level of skill, so if you have only ever knitted scarves before I think you could confidently tackle some of these.

Once you have this book you will look no further for years to come.
on 23 April 2016