on 10 August 2001
I first heard this while on holiday in France, Christmas of 1998 and thought it was really original and totally unlike the other 'euro pop' music we were being subjected to. For me, it captures the energy and fun of european music. It has a strong beat, catchy lyrics and memorable tunes. It is still one of my favorite CDs three years on, and I never tire of hearing it.
on 4 July 2004
This is actually the second Manu Chao album I've listened to (the other being Esperanza)and once again I find myself in awe of this guys genius. I love the pan-European flavour of his stuff, the polyglot playfulness of his lyrics and the wonderful, wondeful music that cannot fail to make you happy. Even the 'sad' tracks are so imbued with the joy of living that you want to go and jump in the sea, laughing. It's great. Buy it.
on 16 December 2001
I first heard this group when out in Latin America last year and became hooked. Now it's available here all I can say is BUY IT. It's unique style is like nothing else in my collection. The multi-language angle is so different yet works fabulously.
on 10 February 2004
I first came across Manu Chao whilst on holiday in Thailand. I had asked for some latino music and the shopkeeper came up with Clandestino. I only had to listen to the first song to know it was exactly what I was looking for. Happy, reggae, latino music with a slight funky twist. I particularly like all the background news snippets blended into the songs. It gives a more authentic, political flavour to the music. The guy in the shop told me that everytime he played this album people would stop by and ask what it was. Indeed, a passerby came running in delightedly to jiggle his hips to the tune of Bongo Bong and went on his way with a smile on his face. Such is the effect it has on you!
on 6 May 2002
Wow! I read a review of this CD in 'Big Issue' and just had to buy it. It's an infectious mixture of great melodies, very catchy rhythms from everywhere. The lyrics are subversive: they'll get under your skin and you can't get them out of your head.
I'm buying more copies for presents - spreading the infection!
BUY THIS RECORD!
on 8 August 2001
This CD has captured the imagination of everyone of my friends who has heard it. It's infectious. You can't help singing along. Each track is woven into the next and as you hear refrains from earlier tracks you swear you've heard the song before, but know you can't have because of it's utterly unique character.
Spanish, English, French... How many languages does this guy speak?!
on 5 April 2001
Whilst in France, I saw some of his songs on various music shows and they all sounded really good so i bought his album and sure enough, all of his other songs were fantastic. He mixes three different languages into the album, although he mainly uses Spanish, which makes it quite varied at times. Clandestino contains everything you'd expect from a Latin album but more. There are great rhythms and some excellent guitar pieces. It hasn't really taken off in England but if Latin music is your thing, then you really must buy this album.
on 13 March 2004
an ecletic blend of a myriad of styles all very chilled and impeccably written anyone with a slight interest in expanding their musical tastes this is a must
Manu Chao = Legend
on 29 April 2001
I found out about this CD from an interview with Formula One driver, Jacques Villeneuve, and decided to check it out.
This album is as good as the previous reviewers have stated. We'd just come back from a holiday in the sun and were having difficulty acclimatising to the rain & cold of England. Clandestino brought back the sun & fun of the holiday and had the whole family dancing around the house & singing to lyrics that we don't understand!
Fantastic album - a must buy!!
on 12 January 2004
I first heard songs from this album when I was in Portugal in 98, and then could not find out who they were by. Forgot all about it, but whilst channel hopping the other night I heard a snippet of 'Bongo Bong' playing in a film. So, then I had to watch the rest of the film so I didn't miss the credits. This upset me because it was a truly awful Madonna/Rupert Everet film. But anyway, ordered the CD the next day and it was worth the watch. Tracks 3, 4, and 14 take me back to Portugal, but all the rest are fantastic too.