TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 April 2011
I love to cook and I always try new recipes, so I thought that this free cookbook would give me some interesting ideas. However, I was very disappointed and I intend to delete it as soon as possible.

The book is supposed to be a cookbook, but sadly all it really does is to combine various ready-made mixes. Let me give you an example; the ingredients for "Savory Pot Roast" are beef chuck roast, ranch salad dressing mix, onion soup mix, brown gravy mix and water, nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately most of the recipes are like this, with almost no fresh ingredients at all.

I like using fresh, usually organic, ingredients but I am not a fresh food fanatic and I enjoy the occasional ready-made supermarket meals, but I don't pretend that opening a can of soup is cooking. I know that most of us have very little time to cook, but this 'cookbook' is not the solution; there are great cookbooks out there with easy and fast recipes for even the most inexperienced cooks.

A note on the Kindle edition: luckily I found no errors, but some sentences were underlined for some reason and it has no pictures. Other than that, it was extremely easy to download, and will hopefully be easy to delete.
on 20 March 2011
One of the things I normally complain about with cookery books is the lack of pictures; however as this book is slow cooker recipes the lack of pictures makes no difference. One of the advantages of this Kindle version is that it is speech enabled so you can listen to the recipe being read to you, I did however find the synthesised voice although perfectly understandable slightly too fast. The recipes in this book cover a range not usually found in slow cooker books in fact the cover from Mulled Cider via Vickie's Shredded Chicken Sandwiches to Triple Chocolate Cake. Most of the ingredients are easily sourced although I have no idea what "Great Northern beans" are(they are well known in the USA but I am not sure there is a UK equivalent). For younger readers, those born since decimalisation will need a conversion chart if they are not familiar with imperial measurement and/or the American usage of cups.
on 28 March 2011
Wanting to do more slow cooking this book looked an interesting opportunity to me and it was free......and I now know why!It is shocking and testament to why there are obesity problems in the USA.

How many recipes can include condensed milk as an ingredient - and in the savoury dishes at that. Baked beans require how much brown sugar? Add a can of cheddar cheese soup...you heard it right .....cheddar cheese soup! Not to mention the number of recipes with "cubed" processed cheese as a main ingredient.

Jamie, Gordon and Delia would be turning in their graves.....if they were dead.

I need the DELETE button.
on 9 October 2011
First question; How do I get my money back !!
Second question; I would like to know who decided this was a "cookery" book?

They need a good slap!

This is a collection of ingredients out of packets,jars and cans of processed "food" thrown in a slow cooker........cans of cheese soup?!!

Well, correct me if I am wrong but isn't the idea of a slow cooker to cook fresh products slowly, over a period of hours ?

If this book is what Americans classify as "cookery" then no wonder there are a lot of lardys about.

Cakes done in a slow cooker? Triple chocolate cake at that, pkts of cake mix, pkts of instant chocolate pudding and vanilla ice cream!

I ask you!!

If you want to have a great laugh don't bother cooking!) then they also do 25 Burger recipes, 25 chocolate chip cookie recipes,25 mac and cheese recipes,25 meatloaf recipes, 25 dip and spread recipes...........uggghhh

Don't bother with this book if you like to cook properly..
on 23 April 2011
I understand that this recipe book is free - but personally I don't think that recipes including 'one packet of chocolate cake mix' or 'one can of chicken soup with garlic' really constitute recipes as most of us understand the word these days. Almost every recipe in the collection involves using a packet/can of some pre-mixed ingredient. Not only are these not really as common in the UK, they are also the equivalent of just reading the 'serving suggestion' on the back of a jar of pasta sauce.
VINE VOICEon 7 June 2011
I have to say, this is very typical of an American cookbook, especially where slow-cooking is concerned. I've never really found an American book that has recipes for slow cookers using entirely fresh ingredients. It seems that they just use canned soup (who ever heard of cheese soup?!?!) and meat......... not very taxing, or appetising!
on 10 April 2011
To be honest , not a great product , but then again it was free . All recipes are American and only found one I liked in the entire book
on 26 January 2014
this book certainly deliveres when it comes to hot meals as you want that warm homely meal as how you used to have years ago this is a must have for people with slow cookers.
on 15 December 2014
Not my style if cooking. Most of the flavour seems to come from canned soups or stock cubes not herbs and spices. More like a student cook book
on 3 August 2014
interesting informative uncomplicated amusing anecdotal practical friendly delicious a must read