There is no way this product meets British safety standards. I'm surprised no one has been seriously hurt by it.
For a start the wires were not fully connected within the plug, and could have come out at any point. The voltage is all wrong for the UK with no diffuser. And more dangerously, the casing around the live wires just falls off, literally exposing the mains. Anyone could easily electrocute themselves, and for a time of year where your whole family is gathered under one roof with children running around you do not want to risk the implications of this seriously dangerous product.
If you are considering buying this product please please please take heed of this review and the others on Amazon explaining how dangerous these lights are, they have caused smoke and even fires according to one reviewer. I hope Amazon reads this review and does something about this product and the company, it should not be allowed to be sold in this country let alone anywhere. They should take more responsibility for the merchants they deal with.