Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 June 2006
I found this to be a very readable account of the "missing years" of European Jewry after the Holocaust. Having interviewed many people who lived through these times he details the changes and struggles through their experiences. Certainly a good starting point for anyone interested in learning about Judaism in mainland Europe after World War 2.
on 16 August 2014
With his extraordinary breadth of vision and depth of interest, Mark Kurlansky has written an epic which is at once heart-breaking and inspiring.
UNFORTUNATELY the proof readers for the book have let him down badly; in a book of this nature there is absolutely no excuse for the frequent mis-spelling of "minyan" as "minion".
Yes, it may appear a pedantic quibble, but it does detract from a work of very considerable scholarship.
on 7 April 1999
More than typing a review , I want to deeply congratulate the author. I am 40 and it is the best book in the subject I have ever read. Eventhough English is not my native language I can feel the passion the writter used in describing us a real life movie in written words I should say BRAVO for his book.... ...I wish I can get in contact with the author and ask thousands of questions.......
on 23 August 2014
Excellent service, book recieved, very pleased Thank you.