on 10 August 2013
Entertaining enough while it lasted. I liked the premise of the book and Jake, Emma and Will are all interesting characters. I think I could have really, really liked it if it hadn't compromised itself in so many ways. These may be personal likes and dislikes, but hey it's my review. Others may not be as bothered by some of this.

I liked that Emma was a strong female character. Unfortunately she spends about half the book injured in some fashion. And when injured she seemed to become completely disabled, which kind of negates all that awesome self-sufficient badassery. I liked that she was so protective of her son, Jake. Unfortunately Jake was practically a cardboard cut out for much of the book. He was the prop that gave her a reason to be hunted. He's important to the story. I would have liked it if he did more than sleep in the back seat for most of the book. I did really like Will. He seemed to accept all the supernatural mumbo-jumbo with amazing ease, which didn't seem very realistic. But I enjoyed his slow acceptance of his feelings and all of his self recriminations. Definitely an interesting addition, the question of 'do past bad deeds make you a present bad person?'

For much of the book the writing and dialogue is pretty good, but then at other times it gets really choppy. Mostly due to the overuse of names. How often do you really say someone's name when speaking to them? It begins to feel unnatural after a while.

The First half of the book is almost nothing but car chases and gun fights. I wouldn't have had a problem with that if the second half of the book had made up for it, but it didn't. The problem is that the romance just comes to fruition, you just figure out the prophecy, just figure out who is chasing them, just get started at just about everything and then the book just ends. Major, big time pet peeve right there. I can't even call this a cliffhanger since nothing really wraps up before the book ends. Of course I knew going in this wasn't a stand alone book. I can see the 'The Chosen, #1' right there in the title. But that doesn't mean it has to be without ending. The plot over the whole series looks like it could be an interesting one, but when considering just this one book on it's own it feels a bit unfinished.
on 27 September 2014
This series must be read in order. This is the first book.

Emma has been running since her son was two. That's when he first told her the Bad People were coming. At first she didn't believe him so they were almost caught. She learned her lesson though and now she ALWAYS believes her son... Even when she hopes he is wrong. He tells her to trust Will and she doesn't but let's him come along as she sees no other choice. She needs to protect Jake. He is her everything. She loves him more than she ever thought possible and if anything ever happened to him she would die. Will they ever be safe? Why do the Bad People want Jake anyways? Because of the fact he sees the future? Or is it something else entirely? How did they even find out he existed?

Jake is an enigma. He is only five but is wise beyond his years. Since he sees the future he never truly has been a child. He knows exactly what he can and cannot tell about what he sees which is a huge burden for anyone much less someone of his tender years! He loves his mother and he knows they need Will no matter what or his mother will die. Can he keep his mother safe? Will he ever be safe? Or will he always be hunted. Will he ever get to just be a child?

Will is a mercenary recruited to deliver Emma alive and he is having second thoughts. Has been actually since he saw she has a child. As bad as he is he doesn't do children. EVER. After meeting Emma he wonders why they want her and NOT the boy. He seems to be the one people would want. And why take the mother and leave the child? It makes no sense but it seems nothing about this job makes any sense. He is starting to feel like no matter what he does it will be the wrong choice. Will he fulfill his mission? Or will he cut ties with his employers and protect Emma and Jake instead? Will they ever get free of the other group that wants Jake?

This book was crazy! So much action,adventure and suspense it was hard to tell which way was up! I absolutely loved that not even the three main characters of the book knew what was going on or why they were being hunted. The paranormal aspects of this book and the supernatural overtones definitely added to the chilling nature and caused drama all of their own. It was impossible to tell who to trust and how far which only made for a more thrilling read. I can't wait to read the rest of the series starting with Hunted: Chosen #2 (The Chosen)!

***This series is suitable for adult readers only due to extreme violence and sexual content
on 16 December 2011
Do you remember that movie "Legion" that came out in 2009? The one with the storyline where a young pregnant woman, Charlie, finds out that her unborn child is the key to humanity's survival? This book has the same sort of storyline (just exchange "Legion's" angels for members of a secret society and throw in a little bit of the TV show "Supernatural", with the characters constantly being on the run and frequenting sketchy motels), with the main character, Emma, finding out that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to her son (and that he is caught in the middle of a battle between good and evil), but unlike the movie, this book is extremely well done and entertaining ("Legion" did not live up to my expectations whatsoever, but this book completely exceeded them).

While there were numerous reasons why this book was so successful, Denise's writing style, the original storyline, and the likes of, I think that this book was most successful because of how fast paced and engaging it was. Because Will, Emma, and Jake were constantly on the move, fighting for their lives, etc., you could never find yourself bored with the storyline- you were seriously on the edge of your seat the entire time (and trying to guesstimate what Denise was going to throw at you next- an exploding truck? Another gun fight? A near drowning?).

Furthermore, the large majority of her characters were so well-developed, complex, but, most of all, real. Despite all of the hardships that Will and Emma had endured in their lives, they remained strong, resilient, and grounded (while a lesser character would have curled up in a ball and cried). Though I must admit, that I did have a bit of trouble connecting to Emma's son, Jake (especially when he was behaving as if he was possessed- talking more eloquently and grown-up than any 5 year old I have ever seen before)- I did prefer the story more when he was not as involved in it.

All in all, after reading this book it becomes evident that Denise is an author to keep your eye on. I cannot wait to see what she has in store for us in the next book in this series, "Hunted"!
on 3 February 2016
I am usually a fan of Denise Grover Swank. I feel what could have been a good plot, lost the plot on a number of levels. The Chosen is 1 of 4 books and unless you read all 4 you won't find out the ending. This story could have been well written in one book but instead became repetitive and drawn out and I felt myself getting bored but persevered as I don't generally like leaving any book part way through. By the end of book 4 the characters had changed so dramatically you could no longer relate to them. My other main complaint and what I found quite upsetting is the portrayal of a 5 year old boy that becomes repeatedly threatened, physically abused, mentally and physically tortured and crying for his mother. This gets more disturbing as the books progress and don't believe it was necessary to maintain the plot. Overall disappointed.
on 16 April 2014
i really enjoyed Denises books about rose in the wishes books and was looking forward to this but its too far fetched and slow. cant believe this can be dragged out for another 2 books. may have been better if condensed into one book.
on 2 June 2014
I purchased this on a whim, as i had enjoyed her previous work, and the story sucked me in to devour all four books. The characters were amazingly resilient in their adversity but did annoy me at times. However, for a fast paced unusual themed story it was a splendid escape, with additional 'elements' introduced at interesting points and the plot did sort itself out. It is more inconsistencies in the supporting characters and the unanswered questions (I wont give spoilers) that prevented a 5*. I will continue to enjoy her work.
on 23 December 2013
Typical road movie type book of this genre. Not as good as the authors other work. Won't be getting the next installment.
on 4 June 2014
as usual denise grovener swanky never fails to totally grab you and pull you into the story. love the characters Anna and will, hate the bad guys. I want to down load the next book immediately. I would recommend this book for adults and teenagers lots of action from start to finish. no bad language, although the main characters do make love it is not explicit and is essential to the plot of the story. not giving to much away.
on 20 March 2015
I fancied reading something a little different and came across a review someone had posted about this book on goodreads. Intrigued I downloaded this onto my kindle and let me tell you I was sucked in. A very good thriller that had me guessing, I liked the portrayal of Jake, for a five year old he was freaky. I still don't really understand where the story is headed but I did enjoy reading it.
on 27 March 2015
Bit of an odd book for me, never read this sort of story before, can't make my mind up about it.
Yes I enjoyed the story and I get that she to be the mother of the two boys who will in some future date be enemies, can I be bothered to get the follow on books, to see how the tale ends hmmm no on reflection I don't think I can.
I leave you to make up your mind about it.