The various contributors pieces add up to a blurb for the contents of the Brighton Pavilion. The british recurring obsession with the products of the orient is touched on here from several diffferent aspects but most contributors manage to quote from the same sources and ascribe the taste for chinoiserie to effeminacy and prostitution on several occasions.
The texts provide some superficial help to comprehension of the obsession, but are hindered by citing examples that are not illustrated in the catalogue.
At one hundre and forty pages, mostly with colour plates, less text and more examples might have served the title better
on 20 January 2013
I'm studying Interior Design and my current assignment is to design a room for an Art Hotel.. My room will be Chinoiserie themed. I ordered this book to learn about the history of the art from around the world, how it was interpreted and to be inspired by the images of items from various collections. Happy with my purchase. Would have prefered to buy cheaper and second hand but I will be keeping this and hopefully come back to it from time to time. Always prefer to flick through a book next to my sketchbook than to look online. Hopefully when I have more time to read through it and take all of the photographs in I will find it helpful to my project. The book as a whole is nicely presented though appears slightly 'catalogued' not that this is a problem for me but it is less of a story of Chinoiserie and more informative of the designs themselves.