Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 7 November 2014
This is an excellent introduction to what will surely develop into a well-crafted series. One of my favorite readings when I first began reading fantasy was Ursula K. Le Guin’s A Wizard of Earthsea. This author’s language is similar in simplicity and beauty to my old favorite. It is economical, yet lyrical. The world the author creates has the usual elements of fantasy: gods, elves, monsters, mythical tales of creation, and the requisite evil sorceress in the quest for a magical stone. But the author has taken those elements are imbued them with originality. The charrs are very different from Tolkien’s orcs, far more deadly and terrifying with the power of fire. Arryn, also known as Ankenar, seems to be a weak and flawed character, but it is clear that he is just the seed for what his character will become. Obviously, most heroes are not born heroes; some are forced to become such by circumstance. We are also left with questions about his sister; will she be a force for good or for evil? And who is the incredibly powerful and beautiful sorceress that so easily controls the charrs and bring such devastation? As a reader and lover of fantasy, I am left wanting to read more.

Now, what disappointed me? I was disappointed by the length of the story. It seems that so many authors are putting out the first few chapters of a promising work and calling it a novel. I understand that this is a marketing strategy, a sort of ‘hook.’ I have many favorite authors that I discovered because they offered a free first novel which I downloaded and loved. But I was not left feeling cheated when I expected a full novel, and got five short chapters. I, for one, am left wondering if it is worth my few dollars for the next episode which may well be another 70 or 80 pages. Had this been at least novella length, I would've given it 5 stars.
on 2 November 2014
How often do we get to pick up a book in which redheaded males are celebrated? The answer is almost never. Mary Fonvielle has created a world in which the legendary Ra’Din are feared and doubted, a race of men with orange hair who can bend fire to their will and control it. They are unique and special and someone wants to wipe them off the face of the earth.

This is a quest novel, centred on the journey of Arryn, the middle son - the royal family ‘spare’ who dedicates his life to finding his stolen sister. I whipped through this novel and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would recommend it as a great afternoon’s read.
on 7 February 2015
Arryn is a Fire Child. Formed from the elements, his race was created by elves to be their "servants and playthings". They found independence, and created their own city.

As a younger grandchild of the king, Arryn is content with his brother Deraen's destiny as king.

When a powerful enemy gathers her forces to conquer the kingdom, Arryn's family and his life are completely change.

Mary Fonvielle's Children of Fire sets the stage for the later works. Ms. Fonvielle introduces a well-imagined world, and fills it with interesting characters.
on 14 December 2012
Just started to get into the story, turn the page to find 'To be continued...' Thought that there was something wrong with my Kindle. Why wasn't it showing me the rest of the book, only to find out after a search online that in fact this was the book, at least as it stands currently. Maybe my rating of 2 stars is a bit mean as it looks like a promising story but I wouldn't have bothered starting if I had known it was only the first chapter.
on 27 October 2014
A tantalising start to the series, setting the scene, kindling my interest...and then leaving the door wide open for an epic story. A sister held prisoner, a people who are shrouded in myth and a magical enemy whose limitations are as yet unknown...

Yes, this first book definitely ensnared me and made me want to read the rest of the series. Speaking of which...I believe that's precisely what I'll be doing next.
on 27 October 2014
Perfect. That's the only way I can describe this short novel. Mary is a master of description and had me one paragraph one. Her characters are believable and we'll developed. The history even in this prequel is deep and ancient. I'm so glad I discovered this, and I can't wait to read the series.
Well done!
on 17 September 2012
I loved this book and didn't want it to end, it left me dangling. The scene was easy to imagine and the characters felt real. I got a bit muddled with some of the unusual names, but wasn't put off. Can't wait for the next book.