Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 December 2011
I have to admit that 'Childbirth in the Age of Plastics' is not the sort of book I'd pick on title alone. If it sounds science-y to you, it's because it is... and yet, Michel Odent somehow manages to draw you in with his years of experience in the field of obstetrics and the honest, down to earth tone conveyed throughout the book. I can't begin to pretend that I understood every word, but it's no text book by any means.

Odent asks important questions about the changes that plastics has brought to childbirth, raising the issue of what I see as the 'industrialisation' of giving birth and the impact this has on mother, father and baby. A compassionate advocate for natural birth, Odent talks about avoiding the modern plastic-bound world of drips and epidurals, supporting mothers to labour with more appropriate birth support for better results with lower rates of intervention.

As an expectant mother, this inspired me to consider the details of my first birth and how much of myself I 'signed away' under control of hurried, guideline-bound midwives; it also gave me food for thought on how and where I choose to birth my second.

A must-read for anyone with an interest in childbirth - casual or professional.
on 15 December 2011
Ive just finished reading this book,i chose this book mainly as a reference to help me with an essay that i am writing as part of my antenatal teacher training. But as i started reading it i really got into the book! i read it cover to cover rather then dipping into it like normal reference books...it made for a highly interesting read, i especailly enjoyed reading Michel Odents view of Utopia in the year 2031....i will leave that for you to read.. would be good if this was the future of childbirth in this country!
on 12 February 2012
Michel Odent has once again got us to think 'outside the box'. By studying the industrialisation of childbirth in relation to the plastic revolution, Odent brings us question modern western obstetric practices and their effect on not only the individual health and wellbeing of each mother and child but the wider implications for society as a whole, now and in the future. Eloquently written in an accessible style with some dry humour and wide-ranging references, 'Childbirth in the Age of Plastics' may appeal to lay persons and health professionals alike. However, for those already acquainted with Odent's work, this book offers little new and the seasoned reader will find himself in all too familiar territory.
on 23 November 2011
This is a fascinating book! It gives a very interesting history of medicine and how it is being changed by modern techniques. It raises some intriguing and scary questions about the future of childbirth.
on 24 January 2012
I read this for an essay i was writing, and i really enjoyed it! I particularly enjoyed reading about the shyness of oxytocin and The masculinisation of childbirth.
Extremely good book that I'd definitely recommend!