on 25 March 2016
I've read many books about Elvis and said I wasn't going to read any more as I know how it ends and it's so sad. But I felt compelled to go 1 more round and buy this one as the reviews hinted that my own personal opinions of Priscilla were possibly accurate : that she bends the truth to suit her own aims and that she has cashed in on the name of a man she never really loved.

The book has a wide range of sources and you have to feel that it's more accurate than some of the buddy books that were released at a time when the writer depended on Priscilla's goodwill for their livelihood.

And in the middle was poor little Lisa - daughter of a mother who showed very little interest in her and dumped her in one Scientology camp/school after another so she could go "find Priscilla". Always been suspicious of people that talk about themselves in the 3rd person.

In summary - she just comes across as cold, incredibly vain and full of naked ambition. Unfortunately Elvis fell for it....but read it for yourself and make your own mind up. The author has written a fascinating book.
on 11 July 2014
Really intresting book to read opened your eyes to the real Prescilla Presley, couldnt put it down
on 12 April 2016
This has really opened my eyes to the 'real' Priscilla Presley. I wasn't a fan before, and this has confirmed what I have read in other sources.
Brilliant, honest account of her life and how she wasn't the vestal virgin Elvis thought she was. Saying that, Elvis liked the ladies too so can't blame it all on her.
She did a lot of manipulating though, and still does.
Never liked the woman, but this is a fascinating look in to her life before, with, and after Elvis.
Def recommend.
on 30 June 1999
What a fascinating book, at last the other side of the Elvis/Priscilla story. Plucked from a childhood of secrets, Priscilla sashayed into Presley's life at the tender age of fourteen. Despite Priscilla's claims to the contrary, the author suggests that her parents actively encouraged the union of their daughter with Elvis the Pelvis (a mere 11 years her senior). There are many revelations to enjoy in this book - check out the paragraph where Elvis suggests that Priscilla should have her legs stretched on a rack! Priscilla claims that she left the King to find herself, but she has continued to use his name and fame by association. You certainly don't end up favouring this five foot two inch 'lady', but you must admire her ambition and financial intelligence - not sure about her post Elvis source of partners though.....Julio Igelesias??? All in all an absorbing read!
on 14 December 2014
After reading Priscillas own 'glossed over' autobiography which was a good first read about their life together (3 star rating), I knew that her account was presented to portray her as an innocent, holier than thou individual who had simply found herself caught up in the Elvis media storm. Some of the things she wrote really made me think 'does she honestly think that the reader would actually believe that, there would be no way any of this happening without a bit of manipulation on her part!". Some things just did not stack up with her version of events. I mean - what self-respecting parent would allow their 14 year old daughter to stay out all night with a man 10 years her senior, knowing the reputation he had for being a bit raunchy?!

After reading 'Child Bride', all the points in Priscilla's account have been challenged and verified with those who knew Priscilla, those who knew Elvis and those who witnessed this coming together of these two people. What you read in Suzanne Finstad's book is well researched and shows a very different Priscilla to the version she tells. It tells of the combination of her feminine charms, her dogged determination and the manipulation of her family who were hell-bent that this romantic union was going to happen, at whatever cost.

Elvis fell for it. Poor soul.

Priscilla broke his heart in the end, after she'd got what she wanted. It does beg the question as to whether she really loved him at all. I think she was more in love with the legend that he was, than him as a person. He wasn't perfect, admittedly, but his heart was in the right place and his naivety was abused. They both deceived each other really.

I decided to read this book after a trip to Graceland this year. I was never a real Elvis fan, but after the trip found myself drawn in and caught up with the Elvis hype. I was keen to read up more on his life. I chose this book after a review on Priscilla's book pointed me to it. I am so glad I've read this, I feel I have a much better understanding of their life together. I highly recommend this book.
on 18 March 2015
After reading "Elvis and me" this was a different take on the Priscilla I had read about. If you are interested in the life of Elvis Presley this is a very interesting read. I would highly recommend.
on 14 April 2003
I somewhat enjoyed this book; it was interesting and enough of a good story. However, I took everything in it with a pinch of salt, and I sincerely doubt that this book is really the 'true story'.
Finstad, a tabloid journalist, works a little too hard to give the impression that this is well researched - which is understandable as her sources leave a lot to be desired for when it comes to reliability. Her biggest one is Mike Edwards, a man who only met Priscilla years after Elvis died, and never met Elvis - so it is hard to see how he can make perceptions about their relationship. Apart from Edwards, the main sources are memphis mafia wives, who famously didn't like priscilla.
I don't believe for one second that priscilla was entirely honest in 'elvis for me' - but the same can be said for finstad. this is well-written and enjoyable but at the end of the day tabloid fodder.
on 25 August 2007
Read this twice, not because I liked it but to check that my feelings about it were not because I may have been in a bad mood on the first reading. I'm not a huge fan of Priscilla Presley myself but it appears that the author just took every bad thing they heard or was told about Priscilla and crammed it all into one book. If your looking for a balanced insightful book about Priscilla Presley then avoid this book like the plague.
on 5 January 2015
I bought this book for my mum she couldn't put it down .she said it was a fantastic book.
on 19 September 2015
If true, puts a whole new slant on the Priscilla and Elvis magical romance...