HALL OF FAMEon 20 December 2003
Most of the series of 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' has the kind of warm and fuzzy story that many find endearing and sweet. They are not 'deep' most of the time, but do point to things beyond themselves; for my own use, I often find sermon illustrations and stories within the pages of volumes of Chicken Soup -- as chaplain at a retirement centre, many of the stories help people to recall happier times, and help them deal with their present situation.
This particular volume involves stories with animals. The relationship between animals and people of all ages can make for some of the funniest, most heart-warming, most sad, and most meaningful stories. There are contributing authors of some note (Barbara Bush, James Herriot, Jimmy Stewart, Gilda Radner, Art Linkletter) among other authors who had stories to tell and volunteered them. Much in the manner that Readers Digest accepts unsolicited stories from amateur authors, so does the Chicken Soup series. Often the most meaningful stories are those that happen to people who are not professional writers.
Few animals are left out here, as many animals have come to be companions with humans over the centuries. Dogs and cats feature prominently, as do horses and other farm animals, but there are also wolves, birds, dolphins, deer, wild turkeys, gorillas and even a Christmas mouse. The stories cover a wide range of topics, including pets as friends and healers, animals as rescuers and performers of other amazing feats, animals whose companionship meant a lot, and finally on the sadness and meaning of saying goodbye to an important family member.
Each of this stories can easily be read in a short time. This makes it a good source for 'falling-asleep reading', for use in public speaking and preaching opportunites, for shared reading-aloud times, and for simple enjoyment and entertainment. Many of the stories here are ones that stay with you; the story about the wild turkeys and the story of the Christmas mouse are stories I use again and again in my chaplaincy, and they are always appreciated.
The editors of the primary series 'Chicken Soup' are Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen; for purposes of this volume, they are joined by Marty Becker and Carol Kline, authors and animal-professionals in various capacities.
My cats give their paws-up to this!
on 3 July 1999
I have read many of the Chicken Soup Books and I highly recommend all of them. The one that stands out in my mind most vividly is the one for the Pet Lover's Soul. This book encouraged me to get another puppy very soon after we lost our dog of nine and half years. I saw so much compassion in our family caring for Chava. It was a tribute to her that we were able to love another puppy.
on 21 August 1999
I just purchased CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE PET LOVERS SOUL at Border's(a book) store. Just a few days ago. I just finished reading the book yesterday and I thought it was and excellent book. It's filled with heartwarming stories that I loved and I was touched by some of them. I reccomend this book to anyone who loves pets as much as I do. I'm in love with dogs an that is one reason why i bought this book. But really it is a great book.vIf yyou buy this book enjoy!!
on 3 January 1999
Any animal lover will appreciate this book and I would like to see those who do not possess a love for animals to read it and see how many become believers in the lives and feelings of one of our most valuable and blessed gifts from God. When I would begin to read this book I would say to myself, " I will read 2 or 3 then go to bed." Impossible. You cannot put it down. Yes, tissues were a necessity and prayers of thanksgiving were frequent. Most of all, again we are shown that God uses animals to help us in many ways and we are given the opportunity to receive blessings from coming in contact with God's creatures. Another book that clearly portrays God's purpose of putting humans and animals together is Ralph Helfer's "Modoc: The World's Greatest Elephant." A quite moving read.
on 16 July 1999
Many stories to touch the heart--and the soul. Our pets become part of us; their unconditional love is something we treasure. When we are faced with losing them the pain and sorrow go beyond words to express!
After you read this book and smile-- and cry-- I would like to recommend two other wonderful books: one is FOR EVERY DOG AN ANGEL, an absolutely marvelous little book, that even though written for children, adults will love even more! The angel stays with pup throughout its life; "forever dog" and its "forever person" will eventually reunite; sometimes the dog will cross back over its "angel bridge" to visit in the interim. The author has had several experiences with her "forever dog", "Martha"; I have had a few with my little ones as well.
The next recommendation is for adults: THE SOUL OF YOUR PET. Stunning, solid evidence of animal afterlife; will startle the most hardened of skeptics. In addition, it is biblically-sound regarding pet afterlife.
on 23 February 1999
Pets, pets, pets. Just think about it. Everyone loves pets, so they finally made a book about pets called Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. In this book, there are many, many stories by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Marty Becker, D. V. M., and Carol Kline. The cost of this book is only $12.95. I got the book at Feeder's Supply or you could get it at any bookstore that carries the Chicken Soup Series. The ISBN number is 1-5587-4-571-8 for the paperback and 15587-4-572-6 for the hardback. The stories are very heart warming and range from a boy and his pet snake to a man raising a flying squirrel. Cartoons and poems are foung in many places throughout the book. Teaching, healing, bonding, being amazing, companionship, and saying good-bye are all found in this wonderful book Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul.
on 3 September 1998
Chicken Soup For The Pet Lovers Soul is a wonderful book! The stories teach lessons, tell exciting and sad stories of a large assotment of pets. It has stories, poems, pictures, jokes, and quotes that will make you laugh, cry, or just think. And the best part is that the whole book is true and they are actual events sent in from readers of their recent books. To enjoy this book, you don't have to have animals to enjoy the fun, love, worries and troubles in this book ( But if you do, you'll understand more the importance of them.) The second I got this book I couldn't put it down; I'm sure you'll be the same way!
on 18 October 1998
but don't take out those contacts! Unless of course you want to keep drying the tears off your glass' lenses! I LOVE this book- it should be requires reading! I have especially enjoyed the anecdotes about those animals I do not usually come into contact with- e.g. the buffalo and the flying squirrel. This is an amazing and deeply felt collection of stories by authors whose recounts or those of their subjects will bring you hours of pure enjoyment! P.S. To the "chick" who complained about the title "Chicken Soup", are you SERIOUS??? Get over it.
on 25 February 1999
This was a great book. Just find a guiet place in your home and start reading. You will not want to put this book down for anything. All of these stories are about special pets being heros. The short stories are great. They either have wonderful endings which will make tears of joy and happiness come to your eyes, or they have tragic endings. These too, will bring tears of sorrow to your eyes. Either way this is a wonderful book. It will touch your heart if you are 1 or 101 in many ways. It is the best book of short stories you will ever read.
on 4 March 1999
Once in a lifetime a book comes along that makes you think, "The authors had ME in mind when they wrote this book!" That's the way I felt after reading the very first story in this book; then I couldn't put in down.
The stories in Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul were so vivid, so powerful, so real, that I was swept off of my "emotional feet" by reading them. I immediately ordered a dozen copies so that I could give a heartfelt gift to all my friends and coworkers who were rabid pet lovers just like me.