Format: DVD|Change

on 26 November 2011
I love Chicago Hope! When it first came out there was big competition between it and the other Chicago based medical drama ER, and ER won I suppose. But critics rated this show really well and my opinion (for what it's worth) is that this is a good watch.

I have seen every, or almost every, episode and the first season surely is a good one, though it lost it way a little later on (season 6 is weaker). Mandy Patinkin in particular is amazing but the whole cast are talented, and display complex and interesting characters with believability and humour. Patinkin plays an abrasive, irritating smarty pants but he is a brilliant surgeon unafraid to take risks and try experimental procedures- it is compelling to watch! It's also great to see other really 'big' actors like Adam Arkin, Peter MacNicol and Hector Elizondo. Other amazing actors appear later in other seasons (Mark Harmon, Rocky Carroll, Lauren Holly etc).

The medical issues are often difficult but I enjoyed seeing these situations approached and dealt with. It is to the series' credit that there is not always a happy, unrealistic ending. The often agonizing decisions are not solved with trite comments, profundities or patronising messages for the audience. Life is full of grey area dilemmas and I'm glad to see this accurately reflected for once.
This is the point where I believe Chicago Hope triumphs over ER because this is less 'soapy' and more like the medical depth seen in 'House.'

Although it is over 15 years since the programme was made, it hasn't really dated much. Apart from people having a bit bigger hair and one or two details you'd hardly know, especially as most of the cast are in scrubs a lot of the time.

NOTE: if you have come to this product via a search for Mark Harmon or Christine Lahti you will be disappointed. Although Amazon lists them as actors in this series they are not! Christine is not in it until season 2 and Mark only joins in season 3.

I am glad to see it is being put out on DVD but sorry that it is only season 1 (from 1994) and there are 5 more up up to season 6 in year 2000. Hope the rest will follow soon!
33 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 April 2012
"Chicago Hope" is out on DVD at last!
I've been so surprised that it's taken so long for a lot of superior late '80's, early '90's shows such as CH, LA Law, St Elsewhere and the marvellous Hill Street Blues, to become available on DVD - one would think that boxed sets of all would be the way to go, but apparently not - the producers are going for the drip effect by releasing each series at three or four monthly intervals. Maximising profits, no doubt.

However, that doesn't take away from the wonderful writing, acting and directing that characterised Chicago Hope. Always more politically motivated than its counterpoint ER, it was nevertheless ground-breaking in terms of script and subject matter. Mandy Patinkin, always a joy to watch in any performance, was perfectly complemented by the likes of Adam Arkin ( underated, I think), Hector Elizondo and Roxanne Hart.

The writing was superb - David E Kelley at his best. I'm only sorry that after the first couple of series, his attention was focused more on the new show, Ally McBeal. Still, Chicago Hope will always remain in my heart as my favourite medical drama, ever. Go buy it folks, give yourselves a treat!
on 31 August 2012
I rarely write reviews unless I am particularly moved to do so. Chicago Hope moves me. There is no need for me to give an account of what the series is about and its content as you will find those details in other reviews. I just want to say, that without any doubt, in my view, Chicago Hope is the best medical drama ever to appear on television - intelligent, witty, controversial, thought provoking, moving and greatly entertaining. It is up there with Hill Street Blues, The Practice and In Treatment. Buy it buy it buy it. If you don't we may never see the other seasons. Magnificent.
on 31 May 2013
How is it possible for a company to actually release a DVD-box without any subtitles at all ? Has no one in charge actually heard of people with hearing problems ?

I've been waiting SO long for this release and only to find out I can't buy them, thanks a lot :(
66 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2013
Have watched Chicargo Hope on sky, we were so upset when it came to the end the season. We looked on Amazon then trying to order the box set but it was'nt available. At last 2 years later it has been released. What a good show, we worth a watch.
on 29 March 2013
Pleasant enough series but American gabble during moments of stress, quite a lot of that, and no subtitles for translation into English. I own 17 major US series from all of MASH to DEXTER 6 including House and the West Wing (the fastest talking series of all time) and numerous films. Maybe it is the quality of the sound recording but I have never had this problem before.
on 4 November 2012
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Chicago Hope until I received this DVD. As always, the acting is excellent with the correct balance of drama and humour. And, of course, the consumate Mandy Patinkin who, in my eyes, can do no wrong. Highly recommended. Arrived very quickly. Go for it!
on 10 February 2014
Loved watching season 1 on DVD of this medical drama which I followed faithfully in the 1990's. This show made me a Mandy Patinkin fan back in 1990 and I love him to this day. Other great actors on this show and great writers. Only thing I wish I had known when I bought it was that I could not watch it on my VCR in the USA. I had to watch it on my laptop since it came from the UK. I had no idea this would be the case. Description on Amazon.co.uk should tell buyers this.
on 4 January 2016
I don't know why its taken so long but its great to see 'Chicago Hope' finally available.
The Vision and Sound quality is perfect for DVD no complaints.
However two things they could've done in releasing the Series are include Subtitles and used widescreen ratio of 1.85:1 would've been better for our widescreens we all have these days, 4.3 is just too square to look at...!!
Otherwise...if you enjoyed 'Chicago Hope' alike 'ER' you wont be disappointed.
on 3 May 2013
Great First Season of show from the makers of Ally McBeal. Mandy Patinkin is just brilliant. Enjoy this as much as ER.