Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire

Format: DVD|Change

on 7 December 2012
Whilst words such as 'classic' and 'great' are frequently used in reviews, there are only a small number of TV shows that deserve to be given that type of status and Cheers is one of that special breed. A TV sitcom that maintained a high quality of scripts and performances throughout eleven seasons and even spawned a spin off TV show called 'Frasier' that also managed to enter the Pantheon of comedy greats.

To be honest, whilst I'm a fan of Frasier, by its eleventh and final season, it was running out of gas...and gags. In contrast, Cheers ended it's long run on a high note. In my humble opinion, that is just one of the many indicators of the show's comedy greatness.

The eleven seasons of Cheers were originally broadcast between 1982 and 1993. Although the earlier seasons have been available on DVD for several years, it is only now, twenty years after the last episode was broadcast, that all episodes have finally been released in the UK.

If you are already a fan of the show, this review is pointless as you will wish to purchase the show regardless of what I say. If you haven't seen the show before but are considering taking a leap into the dark, trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Regardless of whoever you are, I would offer some words of advice. The eleven season DVD box set was released in November 2012. I happily purchased it from Amazon in early December for forty three pounds (Cheaper than anywhere else). This was during a short period of two or three days when the price had dropped from nearly ninety pounds. Within a few days they were out of stock and then a couple of days after that, the price was up again...this time to ninety three.

You may wish to bear that in mind before handing over your hard earned cash. If you can wait, I would suggest you hold back until the price is more realistic...around forty or less. Compare this item with an eleven season Frasier box set Frasier: the Complete Seasons 1-11 [DVD] and you will see what I mean. The price will come down. Whilst ninety three pounds is cheaper than buying each season individually, you are still paying about fifty pounds more for this box set than it will cost in a matter of weeks.

By the way, the 43 discs come in two rather clever plastic boxes that don't take up much space on a shelf. On the downside, you won't have any booklets containing episode names / details, in order to find a favourite episode etc. However, thanks to the wonders of the internet, you can Google that information in a matter of seconds.

Cheers!
77 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2012
Absolutely brilliant! My husband and I are quite hard of hearing, so bought this full set because of the subtitles. They started again on tv, but no subtitles to begin with. We watch 3 episodes, twice a week, to make them last. Hundreds of hours of fun and it is great to follow the complete seasons from scratch. Money well worth being spent.
on 11 March 2016
When this was shown on Channel 4 all those years ago, it was unmissable tv. Having now rewatched it, I can say it's still funny and holds up even after all these years. The story is based around the fictitious Boston bar called Cheers. The owner Sam "Mayday" Mallone is a retired baseball player he's a bit of player in all senses of the word. He has crabby Carla as his main waitress and the affectionately known "Coach" as bartender. Then you have various regulars - Norm and Cliff are normally at the end of the bar drinking beer and make wise cracks. There's lot of other character's you'll discover for yourself - the most notable is Frasier Crane, who was later spun off into his own successful show.

What makes Cheers so good, is that it is not only very funny but each character is very well written and acted. Each character has his or her own backstory and over the episodes you really come to understand and care for them. The opening song to the show has the lyrics "Sometimes you want to go, where everybody knows your name and their always glad you came". That's very true and as you watch the series you do wish it was a real place that you could visit.

This was an epic series with lots of big name guests over the years, but the core relationships were always what made the show so good. Because of that, the show still feels fresh today and hasn't really dated that much, despite being over 30 years old.
on 9 January 2013
Simply put the finest comedy that has ever graced our screens. Without Cheers there would have been no 'friends'. It still stands up with 'Curb' 'Arrested development' and any other modern comedy, it's humour is timeless. When I was young I used to hear my dad laughing sometimes hysterically at this. He now just laughs at everything hysterically and we've had to have him sedated. Such is the power of this show. For years the box set has only been available in the US. I'm pleased to say now we can get it here in England. I was so pleased I bought two. One for me and one for my hysterically laughing sedated dad.
on 11 January 2013
It's a no thrills box set. No extras, no booklet. Just a box full of DVDs. Fortunately those DVDs contain some of the finest comedy ever written and performed. For me if you're a fan of great comedy this is indispensable. Over 100 hours of brilliance.
on 15 March 2013
One of the best sitcoms of all time. Brilliant writing and brilliant performances. It really made me remember how much I looked forward to Friday evenings in the 80's. And it's stood the test of time.
on 17 May 2015
Brings back so many good memories. I love every second of this. A must buy for anyone who ones a TV.
on 9 December 2014
Cheers is one of those shows which probably doesn't require explanation: popular in its initial run, it has been a regularly-encountered treat in syndication for years. To have all the episodes in one box set, though, allows one to truly become immersed in the daily lives of these (largely) lovable characters, and watching them develop (well, some of them) over the years is one of the primary attractions for the viewer. Encompassing both wacky misadventures and emotional tumults, Cheers is a show that's easy to love, centred on the good-hearted but eminently fallible Sam Malone, a former baseball player whose descent into alcoholism counterintuitively ended in his ownership of the eponymous bar. Whilst fans generally have a preference as to 'era'- Diane or Rebecca- both Shelley Long and Kirstie Alley have their own comedic attributes which add a great deal to the series. Not to be forgotten is the first appearance of Kelsey Grammer as Diane's one-time fiance, Dr Frasier Crane, a character Grammer would play for twenty years. He naturally adds a fresh hilarity to proceedings, and it's easy to see why he of all the characters on the show was earmarked for his own series. All in all, a show that I highly recommend.
on 23 September 2015
I was a little sceptical when a friend of mine first introduced me to Cheers. Although already into Frasier, I feared that the jokes would be less sharp and perhaps a little dated.

How wrong I was: Over thirty years since the show first aired and none of the wit, warmth or charm has been lost by the little bar in Boston, "where everybody knows your name".
on 5 October 2015
Best purchase of the year. The classics still make me roar with laughter. Well worth the price.