on 2 February 2001
This book is fantastic. I gives good, honest and accurate information about hotels in Florence, Rome and Venice. It gives a full run-down of each hotel it recommends and does not shy away from warning you about what you should avoid in certain hotels. Most of the hotel reviews even go to the level of providing information about individual rooms - which to go for and which to avoid.
I used the guide to find a good room in a good hotel in one of the best parts of Florence. I had planned that the trip be cheap, but found that the trip was not only cheap, but I consider the room to be the best I have ever stayed in, despite costing less that one-tenth what I have paid elsewhere!
Despite its name, the book is not just for backpackers and the like. Although there are plenty of suggestions for people on a limited budget - as I was in 1999 - there are also suggestions for more expensive hotels that nevertheless provide excellent value-for-money. I shall certainly be using the book to plan my honeymoon in Venice later this year.
I can't see how you can go wrong considering the price of this book. If you want to get away from the big tour-operator's hotels and their big prices, you can find the ambience of real Italian life, in the hotels listed inside it.
on 26 November 2001
Okay, okay, I know that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but when I read the title 'Cheap Sleeps in Italy' I expected a book detailing exactly that. What arrived two days later was a book which would have been fantastic if I was on going to Rome, Florence or Venice but was actually absolutely useless! Since buying the book I have found that if you click on the picture the cover comes up big enough for you to read the names of those 3 tourist traps but alas it is too late. Still, I had a quick flick through it and found a 30-50 word write up on each hotel visited in these illustrious cities, catagorised into cheap-notcheap sections for each. I can see that this would appeal to some people but not to me- I prefer the pure, concise relevance that you get in the rough guides and lonely planets myself.