Format: DVD|Change

on 19 February 2013
Ignore the negative reviews you may have read above. This is a piece of landmark TV that, years from now, will become a cult classic. This is not a comedy (although there are darkly funny moments in it). This is not particularly uplifting viewing. In fact, some of it is ugly or painful to watch. And that is the point. What it is, is TV to challenge you - which is something rare in this day and age. When the writer of several episodes, Charlie Brooker, was asked about Black Mirror (BM) he said that what he was aiming for was something dystopian, unnerving and uncomfortable. A modern, updated, long-lost cousin to The Twilight Zone. That's exactly what he's achieved. BM taps into that unspoken unease that many people feel with modern society; the relentless quest for fame and interactive programming, public obsession with technology and 'content', corporate brainwashing and, even, contemplates what makes us human. This is challenging stuff. It's not for everyone. Like listening to a challenging album like 'Kid A', there will be some who simply don't connect with it - or thinks that all TV should make you 'feel good'. And that's fine. But for those who do connect with it there's rewarding television and some great ideas.
on 28 January 2012
Charlie Brooker is known for his cynical and satirical yet highly humourous outlook on the world and in particular the media, both in his writing and in his televison shows. With "Black Mirror" he has proven that his writing is constantly improving and becoming sharper and that he can branch out from black comedy to dark and compelling drama. Not for the first time I know as he was also responsible for "Dead Set" too but this series is even better.
"Black Mirror" is a three part series which is very well written indeed and takes a not too distant look into the future in terms of politics, the entertainment industry and a new angle on infidelity in relationships.It also shines brighter still with some excellent acting performances from the likes of Rory Kinnear(Quantum Of Solace),Daniel Kaluuya(Psychoville)and Toby Kebbell( Dead Man's Shoes).
Kudos must also be given to Brooker's co-writers Jesse Armstrong(Four Lions) and Brooker's wife Konnie Huq for helping to put the final touches on what I thought was, along with "This Is England '88", the best British TV drama series of last year. If only TV would invest more in such thought provoking and intelligent shows rather than force feeding us mind numbing drivel like "Take Me Out" (Can you believe that was actually nominated for an award?)then I wouldn't be struggling to find good shows to watch so often.
44 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2013
Watching Black Mirror is a bit like seeing a horrific car crash. It's bleak, frightening, horrific; but somehow, you just can't look away. These three individual tales of a dark dystopian future are all equally compelling. The first is a twisted political fairytale, the second a commentary on reality TV and the third, a look at the way technology has started to impact on things we could hardly imagine, like memory. Each offer up a terrifying future not altogether unrealistic given our reliance on technology. Each tale is also tragic- nobody ends up happier or better off for using whatever technology is showcased.

I think the first episode was the most terrifying because it's set in the present day, and the technology that leads to the tragedy is freely available as I type. I also thought it was the most compelling episode, waiting to see whether or not the PM would have to commit the 'indecent act' and seeing the story unravel.

The second was, I think, the weakest. It's still fascinating because the concept is familiar; every year more and more reality TV shows are churned out for every 'skill' you can think of, and the idea of us as zombies glued to the TV screen is one bandied around in current media. When you think about it, the reality in this episode isn't exactly a million miles from now. Loved the judges from Hot Shots!

The third episode was the most intriguing concept to me. I hear that it's been optioned for a Hollywood film, which I think will be one I will go and watch to see how the concept of being able to replay memories with video clarity will play out in feature length. We've all cursed the fallibility of the human memory at least once. Wouldn't it be great if you could just rewind your thoughts and see where you left your keys? Maybe, but this episode showcases the perils of video-graphic memory to the extreme.

Thought provoking and shocking, I will definitely be watching the upcoming series 2.
on 13 January 2012
I would argue this is a must have for any sci-fi fans, more so than it is for fans of comedy, although funny in its bizarre and very dark ways, the series is more focused on highlighting the irrelevance and stupidity that modern society lives by. There are also warnings about our future if we continue to let aspirational brainwashing, courtesy of the television (for more on this see 'How TV Ruined Your Life') control our lives and the common sci-fi reflections of a world obsessed with technology to the point of loosing our humanity.

Each episode is extremely well written and beautifully shot, with some truly amazing performances from all actors. Fans of books like 1984 or A Brave New World should really love this. One of the most fresh and important things on British TV in a long time.
on 23 February 2012
At the time of me writing this, there's a single bad review which seems to be based on the shows failure to make the reviewer laugh. Was this ever billed as comedy? If so, that billing passed me by. Obviously, it's a question of taste, but I thought Black Mirror was disturbing and thought provoking in equal measure. I think running it down as too dark or not funny is like bemoaning the believability of your average Sly Stallone movie. It's missing the point.

If bleak, distopian drama which obliquely comment on the modern world is your bag, you'll appreciate this slice of inspired genius from the consistently inspiring Brooker.
on 24 February 2013
I've been compelled to give some deserved negative reviews recently for some dire celluloid trash, but am relieved i can at last praise a masterpiece-the relevant, insightful, intelligent techno'-dystopian future-shocks that are collectively, 'Black Mirror'. Excellent, thought-provoking future-modern fables that pry beneath the fragile skin of superficial human emotions and behaviour to reveal the often shocking, psychological depths. Thankyou Charlie Brooker, and all involved!!!
on 31 January 2013
I'm struggling to find the words to express how amazing "Black Mirror" is, a work of a genius. Cant wait for the next series, it's soon on Channel 4. Very highly recommended for everyone with a brain. I wish there were more satires on telly these days.
on 23 August 2015
HOw is life and what is it going to be like? the way we live it now is not so far from the distopian future depicted in this first trilogy (the second season will follow the same approach). This series is a mix of Twilight zone (although dealing with reality and not fantasy) and a sociological pamphlet updated to the times and places of the great digital revolution. Sometimes it even feels like what we see has already happened, that is maybe the reason why someone has pointed out that Black Mirror is not so original and unconventional. To me this is not the point: it is a wonderfully written and directed operation, and if we find some reflections that we agree with and already popped up in our mind, it simply means that Charlie Broker hit the point. This is a picture of ourselves, our solitude, our fears and the risks that current technology can lead us to: something new and different from the past, because, differently from tv, this is a real antropological revolution.
on 2 March 2016
Knowing Charlie Brooker from his weekly / annual wipe programs & assuming he is the spiritual father of the likes of Phillomena Cunk and Barry Sh..peas, I had very high hopes when I bought this one. And lo and behold, all my expectations were met. What a great series! In the mean time I bought series 2 as well, and I can say it is as fantastic, brilliant and bizarre as the first series.

To explain what Black Mirror is to those who have no clue and somehow make their way to this review: it is a series of 40-50 minute, unrelated episodes, featuring a very dystopian future - a very near future in fact (people still drive cars and wear glasses, it's just the IT-stuff and iphones and what not that have gone ballistic). I think it is brilliant, just give it a try!
on 31 December 2012
I saw two of these on tv and thought they were very innovative and unusual.Definitely not for kids, very dark but great for adults.