Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.99

on 27 December 2013
I am delighted with this book which is a well written, fascinating, at times moving, but scholarly account of Charlie Chaplin one of greatest film makers of the 20th century. It is very addictive & I been reading it at every opportunity.
The author David Robinson tells us of Chaplin's meteoric rise in the entertainment business which took him from the slums of Victorian South London to the glamour of Hollywood, exile & beyond. His was a dazzling talent - a wonderful entertainer, comedian, actor & film maker.
The book has been meticulously researched. Its almost 900 pages are full absorbing about Charlie, his life & times, the entertainment & film industries. All backed up lots of photos, reproductions of posters, letters & extracts from other documents, many of which come from the Chaplin official archive. One of the things I like most about Charlie is his genuine interest in other people & what motivates them. It helps to make his autobiography especially enjoyable. It's full of engaging stories of about the people he knew including South London stall holders, Ghandi, GBS, & Albert Einstein. I also believe it in large part contributed to his genius. David Robinson tells us that he inherited this ability from his mother Hannah Chaplin.
I would certainly recommend this book & while I'm about, it his films too.
on 10 January 2015
It's more than a biography - it's a monument! Detail, erudition and passion.
on 29 August 2015
Very good detailed account of Charlie
on 23 July 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Chaplin is one of my heroes and this book did not disappoint.
on 3 March 2016