on 2 January 2008
Generally, it is a good review of what you need to know, in order to pass the RHCT/RHCE exams. However, from an editor's point of view I am not impressed considering a number of typos of minor importance (such as for example the link for the Distributed Intrusion Detection System on page 274) to serious omissions and mistakes.

One of the most serious omissions IMHO lies in the discussion of quota controls (pages 290-301). It goes all the way to set the quotas and mentions the function of quotacheck, but where is the 'quotaon' command to enforce the quotas and allow the quota protection? Both the text of the 'Setting Up and Managing Disk Quotas' section as well as exercise 6-3 do not explain that quotaon needs to be issued. The main text mentions that the command is run by /etc/rc.sysinit, but if someone makes changes without rebooting the system and follows Exercise 6-3, then he could easily miss the importance.

I am also unclear about the accuracy of the IPv6 Addressing section (pages 39 and 40). I appreciate that this is not a networking primer book, but they should discuss also 'anycast' addresses (not only Unicast and Multicast) and clear/correct the confusion between Link Local and 'Site Local' address portions. I am not sure how this would impact the candidate (probably it won't), but for the purposes of accuracy things should be written in a better way.

I would give the author thumbs up! Thumbs down to the editors and proof readers of the publishing company. They rushed the book to the market. Everybody does that, but they have really left too many bits that need fixing.
on 27 October 2008
I've passed the RHEL3 and RHEL5 versions of the RHCE exam using the fourth and fifth editions of this book respectively as my primary study resource.

My only criticisms are minor: it may have been the edition of RHEL that I was using (5.1) but it seemed to me that the section on SAMBA was slightly out of date, in particular around the storage of passwords using smbpasswd. I also felt that more examples of the use of iptables would have been beneficial.

The coverage of possible exam topics is comprehensive and the book is well-structured and the subject matter clearly presented. The "two-minute drills" and lab exercises come in very handy as last-minute refreshers.

Overall, this is an excellent resource for anyone taking the RHCE exam from a very accomplished technical author.
on 17 February 2010
This book is ok but it doesnt go into details as much as its competitor Red Hat® Certified Technician & Engineer (RHCT and RHCE) Training Guide and Administrator's Reference. If you are going to get a RHCE-certifcation though I suggest you buy both books since they
in some parts have a slightly different approach and I promise you, you need all the approaches you can get for the exam!
I managed to get a RHCE by only reading this 2 books and solving the prepquestions at Redhats website. (however I been in to linux for 17 years)
on 7 June 2004
I recently gained my RHCE in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. Micheal Jang as ever provides a concise reference and essential study points to achieve the intended goal of gaining a head start in passing your RHCE. I originally purchased his previous book based on Red Hat 8 with hints for RH9 based on its beta release. When the time came to complete my RHCE course, I decided that I had better be as forewarned as possible and bought this also. It proved extremely useful. Definately worth a try. A quick hint for RHCE candidates, stick with RH9 unless you can get a copy of RHEL3. The command syntax is basically the same, there are only slight differences i.e. vsftpd as your ftp server, but if you want to know more, read the book!! Good luck
on 30 March 2009
I was fortunate to be able to do the official Red Hat RH133 RHCT training course, and although it would be quite possible to pass the demanding 3 hr exam using just this book - this book plus the course is a sure-fire way into the world of Red Hatsysadmin - or any LINUX given the general similarities.

Note that thorough knowledge of the RHCE pre-requisites (summarised in Chapter 1) is important before undertaking the course - you'll be left behind without this for sure. The Linux Phrasebook is recommended for this foundation material.
on 16 February 2010
The structure of the book is very good for going over all the topics that you need to include, and includes some useful hints about the exam. However there were a few too many factual errors for it to be a useful guide by itself. For example, some config files are not as described in the book (any version of RHEL5), some defaults are not as described, and so on.

I would recommend buying this book for the structure, in helping to revise for the exam, but not to learn the actual content. Read the RedHat documentation for that.
on 28 July 2005
I read this book three times before taking the course and exam. It is based on RHEL 3 but it is still relevant now the exam is using RHEL 4. Easy to read with good examples and good tips. I passed first time.
on 1 November 2009
I guess any structured tutorial is better than none, but I found this book somewhat amateurish and (hence) non-authoritative. Explanations of some material that I already know reduce the credibility of new material explanations.
on 28 December 2009
I would recommend this book. I used it for my RHCT exam and it really helped me pass. The labs are really useful. The author explains things very well and I would not have passed without it.
on 10 October 2009
Nice book with a lot of valuable informations, but some of them are out of date (like /etc/inittab schema)
Linux is not the same like 2 years ago, it changes every month.