Certain Scientific Railgun Vol 1, A
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 3 December 2011
I want to start by saying that I've seen alot of superpower based series, so it's easy to find myself getting bored or finding a series to be too 'samey' as another or too predictable to enjoy properly.
The thing with this series is that despite one or two of these superpower clichés being present, I find myself loving it. To be honest I can't quite put my finger on what it is that makes me smile when reading it.

The artwork is good, the characters are amussing and varied, the powers involved are well done and the story is interesting enough to keep someone coming back for more.
The only negative I can think of is that you get the typical females that are often portraid in anime. Bossy spice, shy/cute spice, generic friend spice and pervy spice. This can be a little off putting after seeing them in alot of other series but even then A Certain Scientific Railgun doesn't suffer for them.

I'd recommend it to any anime/manga fan.
8.5/10
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
`A Certain Scientific Railgun' is a spinoff from `A Certain Magical Index' series of light novels but at this stage in the series you don't have to have any knowledge of the original series as Railgun is relatively self-contained (although it does help later on in the series).

The series is set in Academy City, a city that is said to be thirty years ahead of the rest of the world in regards to technology. The city is dedicated to the research and development of psychic powers and students are ranked from zero to five to represent their level of power but only seven students have ever reached level five. While the `Index' series concentrates on the cold war between science and religion, this series follows the character of Mikoto Misaka (aka the Railgun, the third most powerful level five in the city) and her friends as they deal with delinquents, criminals and Urban Legends.

`Railgun' is a very enjoyable series and along with its parent series is probably one of my favourite series at the moments. The artwork is good, the action is nice, the powers used are cool and the translation has been nicely done. Of the characters in the series Mikoto is good but it is her best friend Kuroko who is my favourite as she is very funny and reasonably competent when she puts her mind to it.

`A Certain Scientific Railgun' is a definitely a very entertaining series that is well worth a full five stars and I hope that its parent series, `A Certain Magical Index', is released in English soon.
on 21 July 2011
The first volume of A Certain Scientific Railgun contains chapters 1 to 7.
It is rated Teen. (contains violence, mild nudity and bad language)

First of all I'd like to say something that pleased me a lot. In this translation, Onee-sama is kept as that and not translated in big sister! As soon as I read "Onee-sama" I knew that I would be buying every volume that is released!

Now onto the review:

A Certain Scientific Railgun is set in a world where there are supernatural powers derived from either science or religion. Railgun focuses more on the science side whilst A Certain Magical Index (which at the time of writing this, has not been released in English) focuses on the religion side.
The events in this manga take place in Academy City where 80% of the 2.3 million residents there are students. The majority of those students are enrolled in the "Power Curriculum Program" where they learn to control and strengthen their powers. They are given levels depending on the strength of their powers ranging from 0 to 5. There are only 7 Level 5's in the entire city.

The 4 main characters are all girls. Misaka Mikoto, Shirai Kuroko, Uiharu Kazari and Saten Ruiko.
The main character from A Certain Magical Index, Kamijou Touma, also appears in this volume. So you may be a bit confused about him if you are not familiar with A Certain Magical Index.

Railgun is Misaka Mikoto's nickname. She is one of the strongest people in the city with her Level at 5. Her power is electricity where she uses this to fire coins from her fingers as a weapon, it is so fast that people gave her the nickname Railgun.
Shirai Kuroko is Misaka's best friend and room mate. She is a member of Judgement, who are kind of like a police force that maintains peace and order in the city. Her power is teleportation. She is a Level 4. Kuroko has an unhealthy obsession with Misaka and thus calls her "Onee-sama".
Uiharu Kazari is also a member of Judgement and Saten Ruiko is Uihara's best friend but she is a Level 0.

As I mentioned before, Kamijou Touma also appears in Railgun. He is a Level 0 but he has a strange power in which can cancel out any other powers with his right hand. This annoys Misaka so she challenges him to a battle every time they meet.

In the first volume, the city is suffering from random terrorist attacks in which stuffed animals and bags are being blown up in busy places. But there's more! They cannot find the culprit and with rumours going around about the "Level Upper" things are getting more difficult!

Also at the back of this volume is a little preview of another good manga. Toradora. We are given the first couple of pages.

The thing that I was most disappointed with is that there are no coloured pages inside the book. Normally with at least the first release, we get a coloured page or 2. Other than that, and the fact that Biribiri is translated to Sparky, everything is perfect.

I would recommend this to any manga fan. It's probably more enjoyable if you are familiar with Index but it's not essential.
on 5 September 2012
A spin off. Most spin off series usually pale in comparison to the original work.

This manga is a spin off of the Toaru majutsu no index (A Certain Magical Index) and is actually better than the original work.

For those who haven't read/seen the original work the story is set in a universe where espers/psychics exist and are trained in using there powers in Academy City, a city built almost entirely for schools. Each esper is rated on there power level in a scoring system of 0-5, with 0 being the lowest and 5 being the highest.

The manga focuses on Mikoto Misaka with her sister and friends in the supporting roles. The characters are well developed through the first volume, which is important. You find yourself genuinely engaging with the characters and there is plenty of laughs to be had.

If you haven't read/seen Toaru majutsu no index then some aspects of the story may be hard to grasp at first. However I believe that by the end of the first volume the reader should have an insight into life at Academy City.

If you have seen/read the original I think that you will get more enjoyment out of this series as there is lots of characters from the original series popping up all the time. The story actually follows the original work but is told from Mikoto Misakas' point of view.

The artwork is good and well drawn and is maintained at a high standard throughout the manga.

Overall, for everyone who enjoyed the universe in Toaru majutsu no index - it's a must read. For everyone else a very good manga better than the original anime/light novel, with the change in main characters and the story shown from a different point of view.
on 13 January 2014
Absolutely awesome book! Love it! Love it! Love it! Really good story line and the pictures are brilliantly drawn. I originally purchased this because of my love for the anime series, and the manga is just as good! really happy, thank you :)
on 20 August 2013
I got this book on a simple hunch, hoping it to be worth the time to read it.
Turns out that it was a lot better than I expected. I would recommend this
to anyone who is a fan of reading mangas such as Naruto,Bleach, One Piece etc