on 4 November 1998
About a year ago my wife began chatting and suddenly developed a cyberaffair with a man she met over the Internet. Our once happy marriage quickly turned into chaos as she now wanted a divorce. Not only was this difficult for me to cope with, but our children ages 9-14years didn't understand the personality changes that took place over their mother. Kimberly Young's wonderful book explained the lure of cyberaffairs and online relationships. It is the first book to really get at the heart of what makes cyberaffairs so seductive. Not only does she speak to the "addicts," but her book offers specific ways that spouses can cope with cyberaffairs and gives practical advice on how couples rebuild the trust in their marriages. After reading the book, my wife and I are now in marital therapy and on our way to repairing our relationship. All I can say is thank you to Kimberly Young for writing this book as it helped save our family from falling apart.
on 9 July 1998
Caught in the Net is an invaluable resource for either those who find themselves addicted to internet use or for those who find their lives impacted by a loved ones' excessive internet use. As a recovering chat addict myself, I can vouch for the kind of misery this dependence causes. I, like many other married people I met online, found myself "falling in love" with charming members of the opposite sex and thus jeopardizing my long and happy marriage. As one fellow female chatter expressed it: "I thought I was happily married until I started chatting!" I, like another reviewer of the book, question the likelihood that anyone who has experienced an addiction to chat, is going to recover without abstinence. I found that although I thought I had broken the cycle, once I returned, I was experiencing the same "buzz" and "high" that led me into difficulty there in the first place. The only solution for me was to swear off forever. Dr. Young's book was a refreshing change from the "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" approach to the phenomenon I found in so many other books on the subject which failed to recognize how this problem is devastating real life relationships and how real people in one's life are neglected in favor of attending to the needs of "virtual strangers."
on 11 July 1999
I spent most of my time chatting away for hours and I forgot about my family and friends all the while. Kimberly Young's book helped me to figure out what was missing in my life and why the Internet held such great appeal. The book was able to balance the positive aspects of online use, especially chat room friendships, and help me to uncover other issues in my life that contributed to my addictive behavior. The book really dealt with the issue in a straight forward manner and I felt like I wasn't alone in my struggle. The case studies supported the theory presented and the book offers great practical advice.
on 9 May 2005
this book is a must have for any clinician or student interested in the area of addictions and also for any person who feels that they may be affected. young writes clearly and sensibly, and used case studies to bring her work to life- a word of warning- although this is a great insight for clinicians, it doesnt go far enough in its explanations. however, a great introductory text.
on 14 May 1998
Kimberly Young gives credibility to an addiction that too many of us are watching friends and relatives deal with. Until now, most information about Internet addiction could only be found on the Internet, which is a painful way to research for those of us who have been so negatively impacted by others' addiction to it. Young writes in an easy-to-read style, and her examples ring true. The only issue I take with the book is that I wonder if an Internet addict can still use it or if he even has to use it. My experience with an addict is that unless he gives it up entirely, he will be forever addicted. Overall, however, I find the book quite useful and have recommended it to several psychotherapists.
on 24 May 1998
"Caught in the Net" is a timely and important reference for women or men whose spouses have had affairs with someone they met online. As co-facilitator of a divorce support group, I was struck by the stories that verify this phenomenon is growing rapidly. "Caught in the Net" provides keen insight and critical advice to cyberwidows, and it can help those who got swept up in their own cyberaffair.
on 5 September 1998
I wish I had read this book five months in the past. We may have avoided a marraige brought to the brink of ruin. If you own, have access to or are plannig to purchase a computer with net access. I strongly recommend this book. I've seen the signs described in the book in myself and my wife. The information is presented in simple terms. Outlines are give for both addiction and recovery procesess.
on 14 July 2011
I'm surprised that internet addiction was a problem as early as 1998, but this text is extremely successful in explaining how internet addiction is similar to alcoholism, eating disorders, game addiction, drug addiction etc. Highly interesting and thought provoking.