on 28 December 2007
First things first: This is not the only Catchphrase DVD game out there, though they look similar. The most identifiable thing about this one, is the picture of Roy Walker on the box - so you already know that this is going to be great.

Don't be fooled by the modern logo on the box either, thanks to some computer wizardry, Roy Walker presents the game from the original blue and pink neon set.

The original DVD game was, to put it mildly, awful. However this version is much MUCH better. You can play by yourself, or with two players or teams - though be warned that the box is mistaken in saying up to four players or teams.

Along with Mr Chips, Roy introduces three near-identical rounds, with only points values really changing. Sadly, the bonus catchphrases are "normal" rounds, no selecting squares off the board here.

Then, provided you have enough points, its on the End Game - where you have three chances to cross a nine-square board. Cross through the Middle square, and you win a "Virtual Holiday", where Roy does his best to sell you an unlikely holiday destination. Any other line lets you watch the old "Snake Charmer" out-take (albeit watered down) in full.

The only slight drawback is the fact that the answer is given to every catchphrase, then you have to be honest and tell Mr Chips whether you got it right or wrong, or what team won. However, I can't think of any other way the DVD programmers could do it without going with multiple choice answers - and that wouldn't work.

Roy Walker is EXCELLENT, his own catchphrases abound and always reminding us to "Say What You See... if you see it, Say It!" and all the old buzzer noises and musical jingles are present and correct.

If you bought the older Catchphrase DVD game and was sorely dissapointed, worry no more - because *this* one does the game and your memory of it justice. Recommended!
on 13 August 2009
Bought this for my son and little sister to play and it left them very disappointed.

As others have stated the game "freezes" after the first round and no matter what you press it will not go any further. We too thought this was a one off but now see it was a production error as many others have had this problem too.

We have tried the disk on various DVD players and always get the same result.

Shame, because the kids enjoyed the very short 1st round that they did play.

AVOID - as if you buy this you will quite likely have to return it as faulty!
VINE VOICEon 2 February 2009
Having grown up watching Catchphrase on ITV (and now enjoying the repeats on Challenge TV), I was obviously very interested in purchasing and playing the "Interactive" DVD version of the show. However, what I got in return was disappointing, to say the least.

First of all, the concept for the game is good. Roy Walker is your host, and after showing you the "Catchphrase" he asks you to answer "Yes" or "No". It relies on you telling the truth, but it's still good fun.

The problem began for me after I completed "Round 1". Regardless of my score, the DVD constantly "froze" on the screen where Mr Chips gives you your score. This was not an isolated case (it happened several times) and I found myself (rather frustratingly) unable to advance to "Round 2".

It should also be noted that I originally bought a copy of this game from HMV, and I had the same problem (I got a refund as they did not have another in stock). I bought a second copy from Amazon in case the previous was a "dud"; a one-off but alas, to me at least, it looks like several of perhaps many of these DVD's are faulty.

I would like to commend Amazon for my prompt refund and they're usual high-quality customer service, but I would also like to warn other potential buyers: Please save your money and stick to watching the TV show.
on 6 January 2008
Bought this as a family game for christmas - When playing the game it refused to play the team game , and froze half way through the single game. I did finally get it to work running on a PC , But i have also tried it on a number of DVD players with mixed results , although i haven't done exhaustive testing on this I think it may have something to do with whether your DVD player is DVD + or DVD -. Nothing in the instructions alludes to this. Having played it a number of times now with the 10 and 7 year old , it is great fun although the same catch phrases to come up quite regularly.
on 3 March 2013
bought to play when friends come round enjoyable family game came promptlly good packaging would recommend for anyone who wants a fun evening
on 26 February 2013
The DVD game was enjoyable and took me back to when Catchphrase first on TV. I popped it in my DVD player and played all my favourite rounds. I liked thet fact that you had a Team Player option, even though thats common with other DVD games like this. What I did not like was the sometimes slow gameplay andMr Walker doesn't always say his own catchphrases.
Overall It is enjoyable I would still play now and again even if I only get to win a virtual holiday!
on 16 April 2009
tried to play game but was faulty and would skip making it difficult to actually play a decent game throught it
on 5 February 2009
My daughter loves the TV programme so I bought this to play during the Christmas holidays. However, I have never played it yet. She had a quick go on Christmas day and didn't like it. It is nowhere like the actual tv programme, we didn't really know how it would work but you get choices to select your answer from which takes the whole 'guessing' element away. Disappointing.
on 29 December 2009
Got this for christmas day, as I knew the tv would be absolutely a waste of time, thank god for this dvd interactive game, family not competitive but did become competitive with this, had a right laugh, recommend it, you can play on ur own or with two teams, excellent laugh, just like the game, and my sister in law took it home to play, it is hilarious, well worth buying!
on 4 January 2010
I brought this for the family for xmas time, we had a lot of fun you can play on your own or in teams, we all had fun ladies against the men, we were all shouting out and got very competitive.. brill fun for all even the kids enjoyed it.... some are so easy they are hard...