This ebook builds on CSS guidelines for semantic markup, explores the nature of the cascade and covers the HTML style attribute, use of ID and class selectors and more advanced CSS tips and techniques.
What if you were One Percent Better with Cascading Style Sheets?
* You mix and match style rules with a clarity you never had
* You get the meaning of semantic markup, now its your friend
* You insert style rules in the cascade with surgical precision
* You stop wasted efforts to hide CSS and share with your peers
* You transform legacy sites with the light touch
What's inside the Cascading Style Sheets ebook?
* 21 core Cascading Style Sheets questions and answers
* 12 extra CSS answers from other FAQs
The Cascading Style Sheets FAQ ebook helps you solve problems like these.
Getting started with CSS
What is “presentational markup”?
Think HTML is all about presentation? Think again, learn about semantic markup.
* What are your general guidelines about CSS?
* What are logical and physical tags?
How can I set the width of a div for any monitor?
When you set pixel widths and your page doesn't fill the screen, resize with CSS proportional lengths.
* Has the stylesheet loaded?
* How can I hide my CSS?
* Can I resize a whole site with CSS?
* Can I use script variables in my CSS?
* How can I block overrides from another stylesheet?
CSS styling tips
Can I scale background images to different screen resolutions?
Get your background images to fill the screen top to bottom with CSS background layouts.
How do I set the background colour in CSS?
These pointers on CSS background colour syntax will fix your broken backgrounds.
* How do I style list elements?
* How do I make the text fit alongside an image bar?
* Is it possible to create a frames effect with CSS?
* How can I change text to lower case in CSS?
* How can I style browser window components?
CSS syntax and markup
How can I combine a style rule with HTML code?
Need a quick style fix for your HTML but don't know the syntax? There's an HTML attribute just the job.
How do I remove underlines from links in my pop-ups?
* How can I combine style rules with each other?
* What does the selector #content do?
* What is .rolloverfordnd for?
Extra Cascading Style Sheets questions
This ebook includes 12 extra Cascading Style Sheets answers from 8 other FAQs.
* What is DHTML?
* How can I change the default link colour?
* How do I make a "skip navigation" link?
* How can I make CSS font-size the same as HTML ?
* Can CSS support Java applets?
* How do I include CSS in my servlet?
* Why is it necessary to test my page in different Web browsers?
* Can I purge all cached copies of my old stylesheet?
* Can I force a stylesheet to be reloaded?