Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 November 2001
I've been singing from this book with various choirs since the age of 11. It's got most of the favourites and often has interesting harmonies for the parts other than soprano.
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2008
It's difficult to believe that this little collection of 50 Christmas carols has been around for nearly 50 years. It contains versions of most carols that choirs are likely to want to sing, in a compact and light volume that is clearly printed and easy to navigate.

Those who want an even more comprehensive - and weighty - collection should investigate "100 Carols for Choirs" which features the most popular pieces from all 4 volumes in this series, but there is still plenty to enjoy here, in an edition which pre-dates John Rutter's involvement (either a good or a bad thing, depending upon your viewpoint).

There is even a service of Nine Lessons with Carols included as an appendix for your use. The book originally was accompanied by an LP with selected choirs; I wonder if my copy is worth anything?

Highly recommended.
on 13 August 2007
If you want some of the best chugging organ music and quality harmonies for traditional Christmas Carols then this is the best. The other books are good too, but book one is by far the best. Just amazing!
on 24 May 2015
I have been a member of my local church choir for several years now & we have always used Carols For Choirs 1 but we always seem to be short of copies so I decided to buy my own book. I was pleased to find this copy seems to be the same as the one I have used & it will be useful to know that any notes I make in the book are now just for my benefit & not at the risk of someone else using the book instead of me!
on 12 August 2009
This is a comprehensive and varied collection of carols which we found invaluable when arranging our school carol concert; I'm sure that despite its age (1961), other music teachers and choir leaders will find it equally useful.
The following is copied from a note by the editors (who also arranged the carols) at the beginning of the book...
"These 50 Christmas carols, mostly for fixed voices have been chosen and arranged with carol concerts and services in mind...
A little more than half are for unaccompanied singing, the remainder having accompaniments for piano or organ and incorporating varied harmonizations and descants.
There are 4 new carols written especially for the book as well as original compositions by Bach, Berlioz Britten etc.
The texts of the traditional Nine Lessons are printed as an appendix.
VINE VOICEon 7 October 2009
Very surprised to see that there's no review for this (presumably because most potential punters and reviewers already have a dog-eared copy). Carols for Choirs 1 & 2 are pretty much guaranteed to be on any British chorister's bookshelf, and many Christmas concerts or Nine Lessons and Carols services will have about three-quarters of their content taken from these. Some of the arrangements of well-known carols are quite complicated, so may need more rehearsal than you might think. Volume 2 is where John Rutter took over from Reginald Jacques, so does have quite a lot of his work - though not "What Sweeter Music", alas. The rowdy / non-religious side of Christmas is represented, with versions of Deck the Hall and the Twelve Days of Christmas for example (both book 2).
on 18 January 2014
This has been going for a long time now and the harmonies and descants for the traditional carols are now set in stone. This and Carols for Choirs 2 will set you up for always. The larger size than the original version is much more easy to handle - and to read!
on 16 January 2012
I purchased this book to replace my original one which had become tatty and well used. I was surprised to find it was much larger than the original. This for me has been great as my eyesight has also become worn and I can still read this without glasses. Great. BUZZ
on 21 January 2016
Bought last year after Christmas, used this Christmas when carols are on TV and I don't know all the words.
Has the music too, which was interesting as I haven't read music for some years but found it coming back to me.
Nearly every carol you could think of is in here.
Would recommend this.
on 4 January 2014
Classic carol book. Lost my old one and bought this to replace it, as it comes out every year.

It's slightly larger than the original printing and the print is bolder and blacker - all good for singing carols on dark evenings!