Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 September 2004
Our daughter is almost three and this book has become an essential part of her bedtime ritual. Ironically, she didn't have a fear of the dark until we read this and then she got the idea (she's quite dramatic). However, it has been great fun to play with and the simple dialogue between Big Bear and Little Bear is something that she knows off by heart. We have great fun doing the voices and it is my husband who most often gets to read it. He now takes her out into the garden after reading it as well, so that she too can look at the moon and stars.
Martin Waddell is one of our favourite children's authors and his books are a delight for children and parents alike.
on 8 April 2008
This book was bought for my oldest daughter as a gift for her second birthday and has become a family tradition....

Little Bear can't get to sleep because he's afraid of the dark despite all of Big Bear's attempts at reassurance until Big Bear hits on the perfect way to get him to sleep.

This book is not just for patrents having difficulty getting their children to sleep, it's enchanting and wonderfully warm. I guarantee the way Big Bear resolves the situation will bring a lump to your throat.

The story is beautifully simple and the animation exquisite to the extent that we have given the series of books as gifts to friends' children in turn. After 17 years it's still a prized gift - which says it all really.
on 24 November 2013
I bought this book to use as a topic for my class, to learn about light and dark and narrative.

The children loved this story and so did I, it is about a little bear who cannot go to sleep because he is afraid of the dark. The story is about big bear trying to solve this problem until eventually he falls asleep.

The book is beautifully illustrated and the language is good in the story. I also used this book to introduce the children to questions and how we know what they are and when someone is asking a question. From an educational point of view this book offers a lot.

The book also made the children laugh and they identified the repetition which they enjoyed joining in with. The children were glued to the book as it was being read and were interested in finding out what was going to happen to help little bear fall asleep.

Some children identified with the story as they found the dark scary. This also helped them to see that there is nothing to be frightened of, and reassured them.

I love this book as it is brilliant for combining literacy with the science topic light and dark.
on 22 February 2014
This is a lovely gentle story which is perfect for bedtime reading. The words just flow in a soft and peaceful tone which gently encourages relaxation ready for sleep. You cannot go wrong with this book. Every child should have it read to them.
on 20 August 2003
This story and its characters are sooooo sweet. I bought this book for my 20-plus year old little sister who was going through an insomnia phase and it brought tears to her eyes.
Now that I have a 9-month old baby girl who also have sleeping problems I am going to buy this book again for her. It may not work for the sleeping issue, but I will LOVE reading it to her and looking together at the fantastic illustrations. Better than a yoga session.
on 24 September 2015
A nice book but no good for encouraging children (ie my 3 yo son) to sleep in his own bed. The story is that the big bear tries to resolve the little bears fear of the dark by explaining how lovely the dark can be and all the lovely things like the stars. But in the end the little bear falls asleep in the big bears arms and sleeps very well. So I feel its self defeating and sends the wrong message to a child you are trying to encourage to skeep independently. After reading the book my son kept repeating the scared of the dark theme. Read once then had to be sent to the charity shop v quickly.
on 14 April 2016
One of my favourite children's books. I loved it when I was a child, and I bought it recently to help my 39 year old husband with his insomnia! A beautifully calming bedtime story, beautifully illustrated with enchanting paintings and with the added bonus of helping kids who are afraid of the dark. I can't imagine any child not loving this book, and the anniversary edition is extra special.
on 8 January 2014
This was my favourite book when I was a child and I had been looking everywhere for it so I could give it to my daughter at christmas. Great price on amazon and arrived on time in mint condition(25th anniversary edition!)
Really glad I looked on amazon for this-made my day reading through it with my little girl for the first time and remembering it from my own childhood!
on 7 July 2008
I'm amazed that anyone would want to tear this book up. It is absolutely charming and a lovely story to read at bedtime. I've lost count of how many copies I have bought as gifts. (All with great feedback.)
Adults and children alike love it. The Americans love it too. So, why not the British???
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 January 2016
Storyline -
The story is about Little Bear who cannot sleep as it is so dark in the Bear Cave. Big Bear tries to help Little Bear sleep, but not even Big Bears biggest lantern can light the darkness of the outer world, outside the Bear cave. Big Bear resolves the issue by taking Little Bear outside to see all the stars which light up the sky, but Little Bear is already asleep...

Early Years Teachers - I loved this book when i was little and still love it now! This book proved to be an invaluable resource on my teaching placements. As with this well respected and loved children's author, Martin Waddell, this is a great book with a good story line. It is so versatile and can be enjoyed by many ages. It is really easy to engage with as there are so many possible themes in the story which can be explored to a suitable depth dependent on the children's ages.

Themes: sleep, love, caring, family, fear, overcoming fear, the world, nature, night time, stars, space.

Activity ideas:
- Children could discuss their fears and how they could overcome them.
- Children could talk about how both Little Bear and Big Bear felt at various points in the story.
- Children could find out about the stars that light up the sky which could lead onto space!
- Children could make their own paper lanterns, or junk modelling lanterns for Little Bear.
- Children could learn about the importance of sleep - why do we sleep? How much sleep should we get? How do you get to sleep?
- Children could discuss what they may need to get to sleep e.g. a special teddy bear. They could draw this item and then explain it further like a show and tell session.