Questions & Answers
Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash Unit
by Canon
4.7 out of 5 stars (177)
£188.70
Add to basket
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest First
Showing 1-10 of 13 questions
votes
Hi Phil. You only need the 430 flash. The camera controls it remotely. You need to access the wireless functions menu on the camera flash control. Be aware, the camera uses its inboard flash to communicate with the remote flash via a short burst of flash, a lot of people get confused by 'wireless' the camera fires a preflash about 50ms before the main flash, within this preflash are instructions to the 430 or other speedlite as to what settings to use. You cannot see the preflash unless you setup for 2nd curtain sync. You can also set the inboard flash to not contribute to the exposure. The wireless function of this camera is awesome, paired with compatible speedlites. But you need to be aware of how the system works, especially if you ever plan to use another make of flash or studio lights as they could see the preflash and fire too soon. I have this camera and flash combo and it's creative results can be endless. Have fun Steve
14 Nov 2013 by S. Haresign
votes
If I am using it all the time, I use ordinary (maplins own ) rechargeable batteries that I have recently re-charged.They can loose a little charge over time. I prefer to use ordinary Duracell if I am only using the flash occasionally. If I could find Li-ion batteries, I would use them
26 Jun 2014 by John B
votes
There are multiple ways you can connect this flash to 600d 1. On camera hot-shoe. In this case you will benefit from ETTL functionality. The camera and flash will talk to each other and automatically decide on the output flash. 2. Off camera flash cord, which is connected between your camera and flash using hot shoes. More of extension cable for cam hot shoe 3. Off camera flash - using built in flash as a commander (see this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVyGlnmIttc) 4. Off camera - using 3rd party wireless trigger/receiver. In these last 2 points you can mount flash up on a light stand with cold shoe/swivel and suitable light modifier Note: It is a great flash for general (non-professional) use. If you plan to use it with any modifiers to light up a large subject then you better consider high power flashes.
8 Jan 2014 by iphotographer
votes
I think it is supposed to be compatible with any good camera, I only use mine with my Canon Eos 600 Sorry I cannot be more helpful
23 days ago by John B
votes
The short answer is YES. The E-TTL metering system supports ALL of the EX range of Speedlite Flash units. Another question often asked about this camera is which lenses can you use, and you can use both EF and EF-S lenses. There is an excellent review of this camera here, which gives all the specifications and compatability:- http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3758&review=canon+rebel+xs
6 days ago by Steve James
votes
I do not know,as I bought this flash as a" used" item on E.Bay.But,if you go to the main Canon site,there is a list of items which do qualify for the Winter cashback on items purchased.Hope this is of some help.
7 days ago by christine redgate
votes
The EOS 5D Mk3 is a professional camera and if you look in the manual it does give a list of compatible Canon products. All modern Speedlites are compatible and most older Speedlites are also compatible but will not work in quite the same way. For future reference all Canon EF fit lenses, even the very very old ones are also compatible which includes those that came with 35mm film EOS cameras. EF-S lenses are NOT. So yes this Speedlite is fully compatible with the camera.
11 Oct 2014 by Steve James
votes
Sorry I have no idea I Suggest you check the cannon website.
4 Oct 2014 by Iain G Wood
votes
The short answer is yes, and it will enhance the versatility of flash lighting for the camera, however I would suggest that if you do buy one, you also get a flash bracket as then you can move it further away from the lens and further increase the lighting possibilities you can get from it. I do tend to use mine on full manual control all of the time and only used the auto settings when I first got it, just to test they worked ok.
16 Sep 2014 by Steve James
votes
normal 12 month
22 Aug 2014 by greybeard
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

Search Questions and Answers