on 1 October 2014
I bought this printer from Staples having spent an embarrassingly long time there physically looking and prodding the bewildering choice of printers with apparently the same capabilities. I wanted reliable wireless connection to my router, and accurate paper alignment which was lacking in my previous HP printer. Also important to me was scanning, good photo printing and duplex capabilities. Printing remotely from mobiles, 'the Cloud' etc. does not concern me but this printer apparently can do these things. It does have a setting that I have tested whereby it turns itself on if data is sent to it which could be useful if printing remotely - that is provided the paper tray is loaded and the 'Out Tray' is open. The whole purpose of a printer is to get quality results. Text is crisp and colours are good and I would rate this as excellent. Photos are also well printed with good definition and grades of tone and I have no complaints. The borders around the image are very precisely aligned too and their width is as set in the print preview. Duplex printing is good if a little slow. There is no loss of alignment on the second page and neither is there any apparent reduction in size. So I am pleased with the results. The control panel is not particularly intuitive to use and I do not feel that it is as good as the HP control panel. The so called 'quick set up' sheet is not particularly well written either and I wasted quite some time setting up the wireless connection because of the wording on the sheet which I interpreted as saying that buttons on the router and printer had to be pressed simultaneously. Delving into the website gave the correct instruction to hold down the router's WPS button for 5 secs then release it, and then press the printer's button within 20 secs. Immediate success. The user's manual is on the software disc supplied and also online. I find the instructions cumbersome and difficult to use and when it comes to scanning I have resorted to using the Windows software and abandoned Canon's because the naming of files and controlling the destination is not intuitive at all. I have never used the Window's Scan and Fax before but was immediately at ease with it Therefore full marks for results but the control panel, operating software and instructions need work.UPDATE ON SCANNING. After a week I have finally found the correct area of the Canon software for better control of scanning. By ignoring the scan icons on the 'image garden starter' on the desktop and opening the image garden itself there is a list of functions on the left and choosing 'scan' displays a scanning screen that enables full control of scanning images and choice of where they are saved and the results are excellent. Incidentally the scanner lid hinge can rise up to enable copying/scanning from thick items such as books. Finally the printer has a fairly large footprint and the paper tray cannot be closed if it contains paper. Despite all this I still prefer the end results.
The Canon PIXMA MG5550 All in one printer is a great value printer which I have found very easy to use and the set up is straightforward. The reason the set up was so easy was mainly because it came with instructions which are easy to follow. The WI-FI has to be followed step by step from the instructions and even a small misinterpretation can mean starting all over again. The WIFI signal found my internet router immediately and I have to say it does take less than ten minutes from start to finish.
I liked how the printer comes with all ink needed and the added bonus the lights on the ink refills will not all light unless they are in the correct inserts plus the ink light will go off if the ink runs out. This is so much easier than my last printer.
The quality of this printing produced by this very good looking printer is clear and precise, the ink is a lot cheaper than my last Epson printer which seemed to drink ink. This is the main reason I changed from Epson to Canon and I am so glad I did.
This is a great printer which provides fantastic results at a economical price. I also have downloaded the app from Google Play which is namely Canon Easy Photo Print which means I can print my photographs on my phone with a quick click on my phone. This will only work if the Canon printer has it's paper holder open plus the correct paper which you have chosen inserted in the printer. I found this very useful when I went to a wedding I was able to print the photos from my hotel and when I went home my photos were sitting ready and waiting for me. The scanner can also be used using this app and if you have scanned past documents but decide to print them this can also be conducted from this very handy free app which works very well from my smart phone. There is also another app which works very well and also free is another excellent working App named Canon Mobile Printing which is also available from Google Play. If you prefer to work your printer from the main printer there is a touch tone screen which also has a bright blue WIFI signal, I found this to be very straightforward when wanting to produce either my documents or pictures. The software which is provided with the Canon printer is very easy to install(keep to the strict instructions)-this provides everything you need to produce brilliant added extras which also can be downloaded from the Canon Pixma Websites. I have produced beautiful cards for friends and family, even place cards for a party which I have to admit I was very pleased with. The printer works very quickly when working the software using my laptop - to be precise I got immediate results when printing documents which was provided quickly without much noise and no fuss.
There is a folding paper rest inserted within the printer which is easily opened up - this will prevent your papers and photographs falling out of the printer's paper holder after printing. If this is not used the papers will fly out of the printer - sometimes at a great speed!
I am happy to recommend the Canon PIXMA MG5550 All-in-One Printer to anyone who wants a printer which not only looks good but provides great printing at a touch of a button.
on 11 November 2014
I have used Canon printers for some time (Pixma 4200, 4300, 4500, MG5350) and have always been impressed by print quality, including photos. I'm afraid the 5550 has taken a backwards step in terms of product development.
1. The paper tray sticks out of the front of the printer (fitted flush when loaded on the 5350)
2. Printer output tray is insufficiently long to hold 20+ sheets (rectified this using cardboard and sticky tape but it doesn't look good
3. Machine squeals when printing, suspect there is a badly lubricated nylon bearing somewhere

Overall, not a patch on the MG5350.
on 10 August 2014
Great so easy to install and to work worth every penny.
on 28 November 2014
Already have one of these and is the only printer that has lasted more than one year without giving any problems. The scan and print quality is outstanding but it is not quick. It also takes an age to go through its processes before producing the first print. It's white and it's noisy. However, I can stand all of that if it keeps producing great prints without any problems.
on 17 June 2015
Nice white printer to go with my all in one PC (chrome) which is probably one of the best things I have ever bought - needing the printer and wanting to keep the colour in mind I bought the cannon - ink is relatively cheap compared to other printers bought in packs of 10. I do struggle with the download to the printer - it is not as straight forward as my old hard wored PC and hard wired printer - no doubt using it more often there will be an ease of use - but have printed out photos from my brothers wedding and that of my grandchild - would say the quality is fine for what is needed - just little on slow side printing and setiing up
on 19 April 2015
Although it is an older model, this machine does exactly what it is supposed to do, right out of the box. It connected without a hitch to our home wifi network and supports AirPrint for a variety of iPads. Macs etc. for the whole family. My only quibble is that the support for paper as it comes out of the printer is a tad short so that sheets fall to the floor after the first half dozen or so. This is not a problem for us as we rarely print more than two or three sheets at a time. It's an excellent printer and does everything the more recent models do at a great price.

Now a year on and the printer head has been replaced once and we are getting the same error message as before with no possibility of printing anything. AirPrint has ceased to work also. We have two older Canon printers that keep on keeping on so not an emergency. This has proved to be a white elephant.
on 23 October 2014
Bit noisy but as expected, wireless works perfect
on 3 March 2015
so far superb, prints well, all sorts of features, such as double sided printing etc. Good use of printer ink as well, seems to last long enough.
on 9 March 2015
Prints nicely, easy to set up etc. It does seem to suffer from paper jams pretty often. Easy to resolve, but a bit annoying.