on 7 November 2012
Setting up was easy but it did not pick up a wireless `N' router easily. Even though it was located within 2 metres of the router and had an unobstructed signal, it had to be switched on and off three times before it recognised the router. The quick-start leaflet was confusing in its instruction as to how the two devices had to be paired. It is also worth noting that entering/editing the wireless password is done via a cursor-based system that is non-intuitive.

Having got the initial niggles out of the way, the positives are strong.

Once set up on the network, installing the printer on other Windows 7 and Vista devices is very straightforward.

Photo print quality on plain paper as well as matt/glossy photographic paper is excellent. Do remember to check and select the right paper under "Printer Options". The Printer Management software is also very easy to use. It also reminds to you to check that you've got paper inserted and the right way up before each print run - a useful touch because it is very easy to waste expensive ink and photo paper by getting it wrong.

At the time of writing, there are no generic ink cartridges available on the market, so the per-page cost of printing is relatively high - exacerbated by the fact that colour ink is in a single cartridge, not 3 as in the case of some printers. Nevertheless, this is an economic alternative option for creating A4 or A5 posters and leaflets as opposed to small print-runs with commercial suppliers.
44 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 May 2013
I will not leave a full technical review as many others have already done this. However, this printer is fantastic - the best I have ever owned. It does everything it states: printing from Smartphone, Wifi, from Chromebook etc, and the quality is very good (the draft print is better than HP best-print), it also came with full ink cartridges - not like HP who only provide a small amount and then you have to buy new ones which cost more than the printer itself; I will never buy HP again. The only issue I had was setting-up; being a bit of a Luddite I struggled to get it to print from Chromebook and Smartphone, however, Canon Customer Care via telephone was better than excellent, and I was taken step-by-step to resolve the issue. I would highly recommend this Canon Printer.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 April 2013
This is my first Canon printer. I previously had two different Lexmark models (which are still sort-of working after respectively 13 and 9 years but the cartridges are way too expensive) and lately an HP which gave up the ghost after "only" 5 years, failed to impress when in its prime and drove me mad rejecting new cartridges after only a few days.

After a month of daily use, I'm really pleased with my PIXMA! It was very easy to set up. The WiFi connection was established in seconds and the printer is shared with no problems by two computers (one in another room and across a thick stone wall). It also works perfectly well using a standard USB cable. The software included is fairly intuitive to use and gives me all the functions I need. I like the closed design which keeps dust out and the clever duplex function for automatically printing double-sided documents. There are so many options, like booklet printing, which used to be a pain to set up manually.

Print quality is very good for a mid-price machine, with crisp black-and-white text and true colour photo reproduction even on everyday paper stock and, so far, it seems reasonably inexpensive to use. The original cartridges are still half full, despite daily use and some intensive, full-page colour print jobs, and the ink does not smudge. I love the ability to copy with just the on-board screen and buttons and the option to print photos directly from a memory card, although for scanning, I prefer to use the pc interface. A quality multifunction printer which has exceeded my expectations.

UPDATE: After seven months of almost daily use, I am really delighted with my PIXMA. The original black cartridge included with the printer lasted me four months and the colour one a little over five months. Apart from the economy of use, I'm amazed that the ink stayed fresh all that time. Also the print program alerts you when ink is low but, since this is an estimate based on page count, often you can keep going for ages after the nag messages start. The really good feature is that the printer continues to print despite the warning until print quality deteriorates. With my previous printers, once the cartridge was deemed empty, it would stop working and I frequently had to replace cartridges which still had lots of ink inside. The copy feature is super easy and I'm most impressed with the scanner. I have a lot of old photos, taken with a 35mm camera, that I have been scanning to save in digital format and the quality is superb.
0Comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 April 2014
Having converted my PC to Windows 7 from the now unsupported Windows XP I needed to replace my faithful old Canon scanner which does not work on Windows 7 as no drivers are available. I also had a very old good quality HP printer that needed updating as it was getting unreliable so I decided to go for this Multi-Function-Device.
I have to say that when comparing this bit of kit to what I had before I have been very impressed with all aspects. Setting it was very easy using the CD supplied and within half an hour I was printing from both our desktop and NotePad using the in-built WiFi facility.
I just used the default settings in the first instance and customised some useful features later on.
The online manual on the CD is very comprehensive and everything is explained using pictures of the screens you will see when running the set-up.
After unpacking you have to remove lots of tapes and a large plastic clip that hold things in place for transport. You also have to fit the two print cartridges that come in the box - these are normal capacity unlike those supplied with some other makes which have only enough ink to get you started forcing you to buy a pair of cartridges as well as the printer.
Canon do not supply a USB cable but this is not an issue if you are replacing another USB connected printer of if you are going to use the WiFi connection.
Once set-up is completed there will be a lot of clanking and whirring noises when you first switch the printer on as it does its self-check routines and primes the printer cartridges for use. These noises are quite normal.
A lot of bundled software is provided on the CD for scanning, printing, managing/editing photographs and tailoring the set-up to suit the configuration of your home network (if you have one).
Finding your way around the software can take a little time, but the scanning software is excellent and the printer utilities are quite useful although you can do your printing directly from your applications if you prefer.
The photo editing and management software ok - better than some but not as good as others but as it comes free you can either use it or not as you prefer.
Printing is very easy and the duplex function (printing on both sides of the paper) which can be switched on or off is very slick - you don't have to re-feed paper it does it all by itself.
Printing speeds and noise whilst printing seem to be pretty much the same as most other printers that I've used.
The quality of scanned documents is excellent as is the quality of print - everything is customisable so the biggest problem you will have is just familiarising yourself with the large range of functions - if you've used Canon products before you'll probably acclimatise a bit quicker!
The little screen and control panel on the printer work well and these controls are quite intuitive - if you can work an Android phone you can work this printer.
In summary, an incredible amount of clever technology for the money but if all you want to do is print and scan you'll probably choose to ignore a lot of the clever (complicated) stuff and let Windows manage things for you.
on 24 October 2012
My previous printer was one of the more expensive models in this range however it's printhead got blocked (due to disuse I suspect) and it was less expesive to buy a new printer than repair it.

Having had this for a week now it's definitely a bit more clunky and noisy but it does the job producing good prints and was easy to install wirelessly on two PCs. Size wise it is slightly smaller than the older models but as it lacks the rear feed the flap at the front needs to be open if you want to leave paper in it and so essentially takes up around the same amount of space from front to back.

The control panel is fine although why Canon need 3 buttons below the screen and the 4 way buttons escapes me but as you can do pretty much everything through the software it's a minor issue.
on 3 August 2014
Quite happy with the print quality for both documents and photos but the installation disc came with the most awfully complicated and stupid programme I have ever encountered. "My Image Garden".......a supposed photo enhancing programme that was so complicated and so unusable that I deleted it after a day and reverted back to a much better programme that came with one of their earlier printers -"easy photo"
If you're tempted to try and use this programme.........don't bother, you're wasting your time.
on 14 October 2012
A great printer to choose whether you are a student (like me) or if you just want a printer at home! The printing is a good quality, and is also fairly quick. This printer also has a lot of bonus tools for you to use, such as borderless printing, which is always handy to have!

What's more is that you are getting a fairly decent wireless printer at a considerably low price.
on 9 June 2014
Update:November.2015;
After using this printer for general light use for some 18 months the "On/Off Power Button" appears to have failed and the printer now refuses to switch-on when the button is pressed. So I have been forced to buy anther printer.

This was the fourth Canon printer I have owned since 1998. and have found them pretty good value and economical to operate over this time period. This model the PIXMA MG4250 All-in-One version seems to be following the general manufacturers trend towards building and selling machines that are designed only last for a limited period before forcing the consumer to replace the unit

Overall impressions: Reasonable print speed.? Machine Not built to last.?
on 11 May 2015
- Buggy printer driver "another computer is using the printer"
- Won't reset ink levels so alternative Tesco cartridges don't work
- Single page scanning only.
- Paper feeder works poorly on duplex (two side) printing with with quality paper (anything better than budget), jams it a lot.
- Forget about usability
on 6 August 2014
I just bought one of these (from PC World but can't see how to review it on there so doing it here). I'm sooo happy with it I wanted to share. I run Windows Vista on a Toshiba laptop and was not sure how to connect it to the bluetooth of the printer. Turns out the printer connects to your wireless router (BT in my case) and the printing instruction comes from there to the laptop. The pages seem to fly out silently compared to my HP PSC 1210 which has been driving me nuts recently. I was trying to wait until I'd used up some of the many ink cartridges I have for the HP before I dumped it but caved in and bought this... peace of mind at last...