Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Canon 550d or Canon 500d

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Nov 2010 12:20:23 GMT
Bailey says:
Recent;y been saving for a Canon 550d and was waiting for the price to drop slightly. Current best price available online is £632. Tesco have the Canon 500d available online at £499 with £30 cashback from Canon and my Tesco employee discount (10%) £49 would make a purchase price of around £420 for the Canon 500D. Should i take the 500d at this price or keep saving for the 550d? I am using a Fujifilm s200exr at the moment and this will be my first step into DSLR cameras.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on 18 Nov 2010 12:10:04 GMT
Daddy G says:
Hi, I have a 550D and was going through the same dilema as you. Effectively (apart from some minor technical changes) the difference of the 550D over the 500D is full HD video and 3mp better resolution sensor. If this is not a problem with the money you save by buying the 500D you can get yourself another lens. Assuming your budget is not endless and you will struggle justifying Canon 'L' series glass like most of us you could get, say, the Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 (amazing quality for the price, around £160 on Amazon) to compliment the focal length of the kit lens. I'd decided upon the 500D for the very reasons above but then I was offered an amazing deal on the 550D and I simply couldn't refuse it. You can wait for the price to come down but then they will be selling 50D's off to clear stock as the 60D is now out and then the 550D replacement will be out eventually and..................... It could go on forever.

In short both are very capable entry level DSLR's that produce great results and have amazing functionality that you would find in a lot of serious enthusiast/semi pro cameras. As with all camera's they are only as good as the glass in front of them but you would be hard pushed under normal everyday use to find a difference in image quality by comparing results from either of them. Based on that if money is the constraint I would go for the 500D and if budget permits add a lens to it. You won't be disappointed.

I hope this helps in your choice and good luck.

Posted on 31 Oct 2011 20:29:52 GMT
I know it is an old thread but....cheaper body and better glass. Always the right answer IMHO

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2011 09:11:18 GMT
John says:
Have a look at the 600d, it is a slightly better and newer model. Its advantage is the the LED screen can be moved out and rotated. I appreciate it is slightly more expensive and I do not know whether you will be able to get it would your store discount.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  17 Nov 2010
Latest post:  8 Nov 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about