on 28 January 2014
Loved it. An intriguing tale of compassionate people prepared to risk their lives to save the persecuted. A great story for young people to read to give them an insight into the deplorable slave trade without the graphic horror of non fiction text.
on 3 January 2015
A superbly written story about a young girl called Emily and yet it is about so much more. The author uses Emily to highlight the divisions between the north and south in regard to slavery in the mid 19th century, just before the Civil War, demonstrating many points of view and prejudices.

It is difficult to say too much, as I don't give spoilers, but will say that this historical novel has all the right ingredients - injustice, wonderful charaters (both good and bad) and adventure - to make this a story you don't want to put down.

Highly recomended.
on 12 February 2015
What an amazing book. In 1858, headstrong teenage Southern belle Emily is sent from her father's plantation in the South to live with her uncle in Detroit. At first reluctant to let go of the ideals with which she's grown up, Emily gradually realises the beauty and worth of every human being, whatever their colour or status in society. This historical tale of loyalty, friendship and determination is beautifully written. Often moving, sometimes breathlessly exciting, it's left me wanting more. In fact, I'm going to buy the sequel as soon as I finish this review.
on 6 June 2015
Nice way to learn about the railroad stations history... sad .... real storytelling abit boring on the beginning but worthy
on 29 June 2014
I love it because it is a good book to read as well. It has no swearing in it. Love it
on 21 December 2014
great item fast delivery will buy again
on 28 July 2014
I loved this book mainly because my name was at the end of the other book previews ,I was nearly as excited as my big sister, Elsa ,when frozen came out (you can probably guess why) by Grace. I wasn't liking the book that much and that sentence about me something and frozen is a big fib the book was enjoyable for all ages I think by Elsa (why did I have to be called Elsa ,curtisy of frozen,hmm actually I love being called Elsa because it's cool that people are jealous of me)even though I love frozen and this book is alright. One last thing from Grace -Elsa that is just tight I mean how is it cool that people are jealous of you because you are called ELSA,you are one sick little puppy. Sometimes I really hate you ,Elsa.right I refuse to say that name again from now on I am going to call you poo face-Grace
on 23 June 2014
not read yet but sure i like it once it started it wont be long before the end thank you