on 26 January 2009
I just love Agatha Christie. You can never go wrong picking up one of her novels. Although you can't read too many at once because they tend to follow a formula. I read about two a year, and try not to spend too much of the time trying to second guess the killer twist, if you'll pardon the pun.

Endless Night is quite different from any of her other more famous titles. There is no Poirot or Marple - the story is narrated by Michael Rodgers, a somewhat feckless young man with ideas of grandeur but no obvious means of attaining it. A chance encounter and a whirlwind romance result in him marrying the very lovely and very wealthy Ellie, and the fulfilment of a dream when they build a house on Gipsy's Acre. But the land is cursed, and the spectre of tragedy hangs over the newlyweds like a very black cloud.

Most of Agatha Christie's books can best be described as cracking thrillers. But Endless Night almost has the feel of a ghost story or a horror tale. There is a real sense of invisible menace from the first page, and it makes for a somewhat uncomfortable, disquieting, read.

I had, from the start, developed a sneaking suspiscion as to the outcome (although murder does not occur until the last quarter or so). There are not that many characters to choose from. But the murder and the unmasking of the killer, means and motive seem to take a back seat to a very chilling tale of human desires and weaknesses. These are far more shocking and memorable when you turn the final page.
on 28 July 1999
I have read every Agatha Christie novel, and rank this book as one of the elite 3 or 4 (Along with Ackroyd, Orient Express, 10 Little Indians). The ending of her novels usually make or break them for me, and the ending to this book was unexpected and superior. This is one of the few books that gave me that "spine-chilling" sensation that I wish I experienced during the reading of all mystery novels. Excellent!
on 26 June 1999
I must be very careful with what I say for fear of ruining this book or possibly other Agatha Christie's for you. The reviews that are here have the potential to spoil more than one great mystery of hers. I suggest not reading any of the reviews on this page. Look simply at the average star rating for this book and go off of that.
To give you what you're looking for without comparing this book with others, I found Endless Night to be a fantastic mystery. It is the only Christie that I have read more than once. It's wonderfully creepy, although not a traditional "murder mystery." A few very well placed surprises catch you off your guard and make this one of the most original books she's written. I highly recommend it.
I also recommend that you move on to another web page. You've got to be careful when reading reviews of mysteries. Someone's bound to say too much, which is the case here. I strongly, STRONGLY urge you to read no further in these critiques.
This is a stand -alone novel by Agatha Christie and is one that I had not read before. I have to admit that Christie is undoubtedly my favourite author of all time and, whether re-visiting favourite characters such as Poirot, or coming to one of her books for the first time, it always feels as though you are reading something familiar. In fact, immersing yourself in a Christie novel is rather like slipping into a warm pool and being taken effortlessly on a journey – she is the most capable plotter and absolutely joyous to read.

In this book we meet Michael Rogers; a rather shiftless young man, whose aimless lifestyle is about to change when he comes across the beautiful young Ellie outside a ruined house called ‘The Towers’, but known to local as Gipsy’s Acre. Michael had the area in mind for the house of his dreams, but does not have the means to build or buy it. However, Ellie turns out to a wealthy heiress and, before long they have married secretly with the help of Ellie’s companion Greta. Soon, Ellie has commissioned the building of their dream house on Gipsy’s Acre – even though both Michael and Ellie have been warned off by old Mrs Lee, who insists that the land has been cursed by gypsies, who were turned off the land.

From the beginning, you feel that something terrible will happen and this is a dark novel, with many plot twists and turns and a surprising ending. I am delighted that I finally got around to reading it and that, as always, Agatha Christie did not disappoint.
on 27 August 2012
Well, this is an interesting little oddity. If I'd picked this novel up blind, not knowing who the author was, then I think I could have got through the first few chapters without being able to guess. Here is a narrator who is just so un-Christie. For a start he's very much working class, your callow and unpolished drifter. A good looking and smooth-talking boy, who at points seemed to me like he'd strayed in from a Joe Orton play. The tone is very un-Christie too, and Michael Roberts - the narrator in question - reminded me of some of Jim Thompson's more gauche protagonists. (Dusty Rhodes in `A Swell Looking Babe' came to mind.) This is a not very bright lad who thinks he's smart at points, but doesn't have as keen a grip on the world as he believes he does.

Michael Roberts - a sometimes chauffer, waiter and bouncer - meets a young American heiress, one of the richest women in the world, and the two fall in love. After an elopement, they move into a house which has a gypsies' curse upon it and there tragedy strikes. It's a well set-up and delivered tale, although the ending - which I didn't guess until I was almost upon it - does feel a tad too rushed and unconvincing.

Part of me is quite fascinated by Dame Agatha's oeuvre, as I find her work hypnotically compulsive even as the flaws scream out at me. But here, those flaws aren't as much in evidence (although when the dialogue begins, my of my, you can really tell that Christie is the author). Without a doubt - of the ones I've read - this is the best and certainly the most intriguing of her books.
on 11 May 2004
Quite often in a Christie story there is a sentimental romance
in the background; when the main mystery is cleared up we
frequently find that two of the minor characters end up engaged.
In "Endless Night" the author has become aware of this
little foible and is deliberately exploiting it to her readers'
downfall! The result is shockingly effective.
We are assured at the start that it's a love story, and it is.
There is something terribly wrong, something we dimly sense
from the beginning. The author hints at it throughout the book,
building up the unease imperceptibly, until the truth is so
obvious that our realisation can be taken for granted. What
makes this story memorable is not the plot in itself (ingenious
as usual) but the atmosphere, the manner of the telling. The
most powerful clue to what's really going on is not any
material evidence, but the mind-set of one particular character
. (At the same time there is little violence, and none of the
wallowing in gore which lesser writers rely on.) This
spine-chiller shows the author at the height of her powers.
The story is ably read by Hugh Frazer, who manages to keep
the various voice-accents distinct throughout the extensive
dialogue! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 4 September 2005
"Endless Night" is in many ways a real departure from Agatha Christie's normal style. There's no frothy drawing room games here, but a steady building malevolence that culminates with, of course, a murder.
Written in the first person, young poor drifter Michael Rogers tells of his story of discovering the mystical and enchanting location of Gypsy's Acre. The current building that occupies the land is for sales and penniless Michael dreams of building his perfect house there, designed of course by the mysterious architect Santonix, who Michael has met during his duties as chauffeur to the rich.
All Michael needs though is the money to build the house with and the girl to marry and live there. Solving both of these requirements is rich heiress Fenella (Ellie) Guteman who Michael bumps into by chance whilst viewing Gypsy's Acre. The two young people fall for each other and after a whirlwind romance they are married in secret, much to the displeasure of Ellie's extended family who seem quite concerned that Michael might be a gold digging rogue, only after Ellie's money.
The couple decide that they will build their dream house on Gypsy's Acre and they engaged Santonix to perform the work. The only grey cloud on the horizon is the creepy and possibly sinister figure of Mrs Lee, a villager and gypsy who claims that the land the Rogers are building on belongs to the gypsys and woe betide anyone who plans to live there.
I found it was one of those Christie novels where you can guess who the victim is going to be and who the murderer is almost immediately, but that's not to say the book is any less enjoyable for that. The writing style, as I say, is almost poetic in approach and she really creates an atmosphere of brooding evil around the location of Gypsy's Acre.
There is time for some Christie standards in amongst all of this, the retired military chap and the beautiful governess, but there are a couple of other characters which are well worth reading about, Michael's mother is a prime example of this.
Ultimately it is a rather tragic book and there isn't really any light relief amongst the chapters, but fans of Christie will find it well worth the read and other mystery or crime readers will also enjoy it.
on 1 September 1998
One of Christies best, in my opinion. Held my interest from start to finish, and no, you cannot see the ending coming in the first chapter! Excellent book, and one Christie herself said was the most "evil" book she had written. I went back to reread it immediatly after finishing. Scene in the begining with the gypsy, excellant understated writing.
on 12 August 1999
This book is simply fantastic: the plot is ingenious and it had me completely fooled all the way through. The scene setting also makes the book very atmospheric and very sinister. An excellent read - I coundn't put it down!
on 13 July 1999
This one was the 8th Book of her's that I have read, and the finest of them all! No doubt that if you are a beginner reader of Christie's, this book will get you hooked on them for life!! I still cannot believe how cleverly written this is with the most unexpected ending that will leave you thinking about it for days! And after you own it, you will want to read it over and over again!