Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Dec 2009 22:45:23 GMT
I just got given one of these for Christmas, but before I open it I would like to know if it will be compatible with my Macbook.. any ideas?
Many thanks!

Posted on 25 Dec 2009 23:50:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Dec 2009 23:51:30 GMT
I would have thought so there's no reason why not, it should work for any form of backup and time machine if that's what you wan't it for. I'm thinking of getting this product for my very own macbook looks like a neat drive.

Posted on 26 Dec 2009 11:52:04 GMT
I'm thinking about one of these too, but you should note that it comes in NTFS format. For the Mac you may need FAT32 format. The only tool I know of and have used for this is here: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

It's reliable and it's free. The problem with that is that it's a Windows program so you'll need a PC to format the disk before you can use it with your Mac.

Not sure how much of a problem this is with newer systems - Time Machine for Snow Leopard apparently offers to format an NTFS disk to FAT32 - but otherwise NTFS disks are read-only in MacOS.

According to a google search for 'NTFS for Mac' there is some software available to allow full read/write access for NTFS on a Mac, but having already formatted the drives I've got to FAT32 I've never tried any of it, so I'd recommend some more research before trying it.

Posted on 29 Dec 2009 02:28:30 GMT
Amplesamples says:
Ok - two things wrong with Mr SJ Wales' post.

First DO NOT use FAT32 with this drive on the Mac, it's outdated and pointless. It won't break it,but when using an external HDD on a Mac you should format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). You can do this by connecting your drive, loading up Disk Utility, selecting the drive on the left-hand bar of Disk Utility, choosing the Erase tab and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the Volume Format. FAT32 cannot transfer files any bigger than 4GB - once upon a time thiswas an ample limit, but it is not nowadays. So don't format it to FAT32!! Make sure you format it - that's the first thing you need to do.

Also, the tech specs for this product says that it "Works with Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Mac OSX 10.4.8 or higherUSB 2.0 or 1.1 port". So you shouldn't need to touch a PC in order to use it with a Mac. Connect it, format it as above, and away you go!

Posted on 30 Dec 2009 19:46:10 GMT
R. Loughlin says:
amplesamples you are 100% right - ive just done exactly wht you have said nd ll is working well.
I was a bit nervous when this arrived and only and said 'for pc' on the box as well as only having windows logos, works fine, although lack of installation instructions for mac users is annoying...

Posted on 31 Dec 2009 11:01:29 GMT
Dyffrynaeron says:
Another option for you is to partition the drive. This option allows you to use both Mac and Windows files from the same drive. Partitioning the drive using your Mac is very easy. If you intend to use the drive mainly on the Mac, make the OS Extended volume around 90-95% of the drive capacity, whilst formatting the other 5-10% as FAT32. I know this is sacrilege to most Mac users, but I own both a Mac and a PC, and that flexibility is essential. If you ever need to share your files with a PC user, just copy the files (using the Mac) from the Mac partition to the FAT partition.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2009 14:40:44 GMT
A. Ranson says:
Yes- It'll work out of the box- but it'd be best to erase the current partition with 'Disk Utilities' and
reformat as 'Mac OS Extended/Journalled'

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2009 21:03:13 GMT
Adam Lapicki says:
According to the manufacturer's document - "compatible with ...Mac OSX 10.4.8 or higher".
Ref: http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_ext_desktop.pdf

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2010 15:25:20 GMT
M. L. Waters says:
Cheers as, just did exactly that. You're a genius.

Posted on 16 Jan 2010 12:40:00 GMT
Hello could someone give me some advice please!

I just got my Seagate 1TB Drive out of the box, plugged it in - My Macbook saw it but won't let me use it - I can't drag any files onto it and such. So I read through this thread, did the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) thing but it still won't let me drag anything onto it?

I'm using a Macbook with OS X 10.4.11 so it should work - could I be doing something else wrong?

Posted on 24 Jan 2010 19:45:55 GMT
Lorna says:
I'm afraid I'm not sure what went wrong with yours Elizabeth, I run OS X 10.4.11 too and mine works fine now I've reformatted. I wasn't sure at first whether you needed to click 'Erase' once you get to the Erase tab and have selected Mac OS Extended (Journaled) [for me that came up automatically] but you do. Just in case anyone else is a bit hesitant to erase all the information documents etc that come with the drive.

Also, the drive needed to be plugged into a power socket before it would run. Having only used smaller drives previously I hadn't realised this was necessary.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2010 11:27:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jan 2010 11:27:43 GMT
J. Stubley says:
If you have managed to format the drive using disk utilities Elizabeth, then the computer must be able to write to it by some method. Have you tried the verify and repair options also on disk utilities?

I was tempted to buy the drive, but am having second thoughts mainly because I too have 10.4.11 and have recently purchased an 8gb usb memory stick, and I have had exactly the same problem as you describe. My iBook sees the memory and will format it but as soon as I try to copy files to it the system locks up.

I cant help with your problem I'm afraid, until I discover what is causing it but I suspect there may be a hidden file on the thing, which is conflicting with the finder. Unfortunately, being hidden it will be almost impossible to delete.

If I discover something on the Mac forums I will post a link on here.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jan 2010 13:17:50 GMT
James Bond says:
I have managed to ensure that my Mac is formatted as Amplesamples advises, but when I try to drag and drop a file into the hard drive I get the message "The item could not be moved because "Expansion Drive" cannot be modified".
Anyone come across this and know how to resolve the problem?

Posted on 4 Feb 2010 13:01:02 GMT
Find all of this very odd. I've just bought one of these and found it impossible to format or partition using OSX 10.5.8. I then tried it on Windows XP and it wouldn't even show an icon but finally succeeded in formatting it using OSX 10.4.11 and now it seems to work fine.

Posted on 4 Feb 2010 15:38:26 GMT
BreakingWind says:
For crying out loud - what's the matter with you Mac folk in UK...? Most of you seem to think it's OK that computer retail in this country treats Mac like it's something just landed from Mars. Even Amazon seems scared at mere mention of the word Mac - so that the technical spec of every peripheral accessory they offer for sale must be scoured down to its last minute detail for even the slightest hope of finding out if it will work with a Mac...!!!
What are we Mac-users then - second-class citizens...?? Most of the other Brit Mac-users on this discussion post seem remarkably relaxed about how tough it is simply to find out whether or not we're entitled to expect (DEMAND!) Mac compatibility! - or even Mac compatibility info!! - whenever we're trying to shop for accessories...!!!

Come on you Mac-using Brits. For Pete's sake start demanding some service - or all our needs and requirements are gonna be left out in the cold...!!!

Posted on 4 Feb 2010 16:43:22 GMT
Just an update - I managed to format it and it works like a dream now on my laptop and can safely recommend this product to any Mac users!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2010 19:36:07 GMT
D. Cameron says:
Worked fine for me. It appeared on the desktop as 'Expansion Drive" as soon as I plugged it in. I reformatted it with Disk Utility (in the Utlities folder within the Applications folder) and it now works very well.

I'm using a Mac Mini with OSX10.6.2

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2010 14:23:34 GMT
Schrodinger says:
I've just got my Seagate 1TB Expansion Ext HD, after plugging it it the iMac recognised it straight away as an Expansion Drive then I used Disk Utility to create 2 partitions one for the TM back-ups the other for normal data I'm running OSX 10.6.2 everything went without any problems.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2010 14:06:31 GMT
S. L. Morey says:
Amplesamples...................You're the best you have just saved me from sending my HD back to amazon lol.

Thanks Alot

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2010 13:59:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Feb 2010 14:05:06 GMT
J. Stubley says:
Breakingwind I cant see why you are whingeing so much. The high street retailers are PC orientated 100%, they know Windows and nothing else, so it is no use asking them.

The problem with drives such as these, and some larger memory sticks (flash drives or whatever the latest buzz word is) is they have pre installed PC software on them, this conflicts with the Mac OS in ways that I dont understand but I know it does, so until you can stop talking out of your breakingwind orifice and come up with the reason, may I suggest you shut up.

The important thing for Mac owners to recognise is to resist the temptation to double click any icons that appear when you open the drive icon.

As long as the hard drive icon appears on the desktop you should be ok, just leave well alone - go to the Disk Utilities (found in the Utilities folder, normally in Applications) and do exactly what others have said on here earlier, i.e. erase the drive and format as Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Posted on 19 Feb 2010 15:56:34 GMT
Got it. I bought this for audio work. initially I had the same difficulty erasing the disk or partitioning using disk utility. I dont understand how it works but found this in a forum. http://db.tidbits.com/article/10307
Basically on the partition page there is an options button. Pressing it gives you three options. The bottom one doesnt seem to allow the disc to work on my mac. The middle one :)
Thankyou everyone for the advice to date. Am amazing at how quiet this unit runs compared to my old one.

Posted on 3 Mar 2010 09:47:08 GMT
Reading all these comments, I am going to now buy one :) Thanks guys!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2010 20:53:55 BDT
J. Davies says:
I want to have half the drive formatted for PC and half for Mac
I have already partitioned half the drive for NTFS on a PC?
Will I be able to do as you've instructed when I plug into my MacPro?
Many thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2010 19:51:17 BDT
Spot on. Thanks Amplesamples. I bought this drive based on the post responses to the "Can I use this on a Mac?" thread. But have to admit, I was a bit concerned when the box arrived with PC Use plastered everywhere and absolutely nothing in the box or on the Seagate Website to confirm compatibility. I plugged the drive in to my Macbook Pro and was immediately prompted that the drive needed formating to use on the mac. One simple yes click and the mac started formatting for OX10. I am now (happily!) using the drive as my time machine back up drive.

Posted on 26 Jul 2010 13:54:15 BDT
Mine reads and writes just fine with iMac running Snow Leopard. Just needs reformatting for Time Machine backups, as I was previously on Windows. Thinking about buying a second and setting the two drives up as a RAID pair.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  26
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  25 Dec 2009
Latest post:  16 Sep 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Seagate Expansions 500GB External Desktop USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Seagate Expansions 500GB External Desktop USB 2.0 Hard Drive by Seagate
3.9 out of 5 stars   (1,218)