Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Jul 2007 14:28:31 BDT
C. Holmes says:
I'm almost resigned to the fact that this won't be able to match Antics. How can it? Antics was my album of 2005 - is this likely to be Album of 2007? I dunno. Will have wait and hear. If you've had a listen, let me know...

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2007 06:27:35 BDT
C. Hogarty says:
I, too, was afraid that Antics was untoppable - however, Antics itself was a strange album. More of a compilation of manufactured Interpol hits than an album in its own creative and artistic right. Turn on the Bright Lights has a more cohesive feel than Antics but suffers from a lack of focus at times, meandering a little in the latter half of the album, and although the raw nature of many of the songs works in their credit, the lack of polish can grate in these days of studio super-production-values. Anyway, Antics has more instant classics (Evil, Narc, Take You On A Cruise, Slow Hands) than Turn on the Bright Lights perhaps, but the highs of Turn on the Bright Lights are yet to be beaten (the triumvirate of Untitled/Obstacle1/NYC nearly blows the album's wad in 3 tracks, PDA manages to reel it back in without letting to go too far).
That said, after two listens to Our Love to Admire, I feel like this is their first true follow-up to a thematically consistent album like Turn on the Bright Lights; the opener "Pioneer to the Falls" is perhaps one of the most orchestral and sweeping track that Interpol has ever produced and sets the stage for a radical departure from their previous albums. One could argue that Antic and TotBL were very similar sounding, but that's only to an uneducated ear, yes, perhaps the melancholy and bare-sounding guitars and bass were similar but in terms of tone, production values and mainstream sensibilities, both albums were vastly different. No one can possibly comment (although some tin-eared fans already have) that this is "more of the same" or a continuation of the established Interpol sound, no more than Antics is exactly like TotBL, yes, the melancholy and bare guitar is there, but buried beneaths layers of richness and depth added by their new musical arsenal (including heavy use of keyboards).
This album has made a deep impression upon me, and already I can see immediate favourites (Pioneer to the Falls // The Heinrich Maneuver // Rest My Chemistry ) and favourites to come ( No I in Threesome // Pace is the Trick // Wrecking Ball // Lighthouse ), but more important than the instant hook of these tracks (which is what I feel preoccupied Antics) is the thematic consistency. Never more since Turn on the Bright Lights has Paul Banks belted out the sinister and melancholy lyrics in such a masterful way, at times ministerial, at others stalkerish and creepy, and also angrily rantish. Altogether Our Love to Admire looks set to become Interpol's new high water mark and another notch in the bedpost as they rack up another great album and create a further rabidness to their legion of fans.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  4 Jul 2007
Latest post:  6 Jul 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Our Love to Admire
Our Love to Admire by Interpol (Audio CD)
4.3 out of 5 stars (52)