on 28 October 2007
What I love about this book is that it covers a lot of ground, but makes it very easy to understand the debates around each of the 33 problems and the reasons why they are problems. Peter Cave's characteristically witty style also makes this a much easier read than it should be, given the complexity of the subjects of each chapter.
on 29 September 2007
Really enjoyed this book. A rare mixture of being genuinely thought provoking and genuinely funny. I found myself mulling over the philsophical ideas and paradoxes long after I'd put the book down.

Especially liked Zeno's tortoise finally coming out of his shell. ;-)

But its more than just a humourous look at ancient philsosphical paradoxes, as it relates many of the ideas to current arguements in politics, ethics, religion and sex.
on 12 January 2011
I got this as a present for a friend of mine who's a Philosophy teacher. He loved it ... he thought it would give him ideas to keep the teenage kids interested in class (the examples the book uses to explain things) as well as being interesting for him.
on 8 October 2007
Peter Cave manages to make his 33 'perplexing philosophy puzzles' at turns funny, touching and, believe it or not, sexy. His clear, pellucid style makes even the most difficult problem easier to understand.
on 16 January 2008
This is a brilliant read! wonderfully written by the author with great style and humour. This should interest everyone - as it covers a wide range of topics, from ethics to religion to science to metaphysics, but in an entertaining way (even with the odd cartoon).
on 26 February 2014
A light read and fun introduction to philosophical puzzles in a "choose your own adventure" style where the end of chapter gives you to two or three options of other related* chapters to read next.

*The follow-on chapters are related to the previous one you read in different ways. So, for example, if one chapter dealt with multiple dimensions, existentialism and ethics, you would pick the next chapter you want to read based on whichever of those topics interested you most about what you just read (eventually you get around to all the chapters in the book anyway though.

[...]
on 12 September 2008
Phantastic philosophical puzzles delivered with style and wit. A must for any reader who asks 'why' more than once on a daily basis.
on 1 March 2011
Before reading this book it seemed it must be good to have some opposing views about it. Perhaps I am stupid - despite having a degree including a unit in philosophy - but the questions kept me thinking and the discussions of them in the book struck me as thoughtful yet also entertaining. No doubt they are old hat to professional philosophers, but most were new to me. The lines taken were also new and opened my mind. I shall move onto his other philosophy books now - 5 star from me whatever those who think they know it all think.
on 17 January 2008
If you're inquisitive at all about your environment or why you're here or does a god exist then this book is a must. Written in a much simpler language than many of its counterparts it is a joy to read and should not be intimidating for even a new thinker.
on 11 September 2014
Makes you think. What can be better? My son appropriated it after I had read it. He keeps asking if I have anymore like it. No, I'm waiting for him to buy one. Who will crack first?