on 10 April 2008
This set of 4 cd's contains extremely sensible advice that actually makes you think about HOW and WHY you eat. I was sceptical both of the effects of the plan and also a little intimidated at the thought of 'mind programming'. But having bought it, went ahead, listened and realised I was completely aware of all surrounding sounds but able to dismiss them. It turned out to be a really lovely sensation.

Through these relaxation and hypnosis exercises (which I did daily as suggested), within a week I had noticed my eating patterns had changed. I also feel a lot more relaxed and comfortable with myself. I do have a way to go, but honestly, I am eating a full diet & it IS working....

If you have issues with your weight and have tried many diets, which I have, try this - you might just be very surprised!
on 24 February 2010
I have been a couple of stone overweight since I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid 10 years ago, I genuinely do have a slow metabolism controlled by daily medicine and thought I would never be the slim person I once was. The book is concise to the point and makes sense, it is like someone opened my eyes to the diet industry and I will never go on another diet again. I haven't touched chocolate in four weeks the mere thought of it makes me ill now. The CD has given me a desire for exercising which I didn't have before and a confidence to believe in myself that I can do this. I am eating what I want, and after the initial two weeks I have lost 7lbs. My husband was laughing at me for listening to the CD everyday, but now he is desperate to give it ago.
on 20 January 2009
I was very uncertain about this system when I first bought it I did not think for one second that it would work...boy was I wrong.

After 4 days of listening to the cds I found that my eating habits had begun to change without me even noticing. My flat mate had noticed I was eating slower and leaving food on my plate unable to eat it all, something I have not done for years.

I have been using this cd system and the "cook yourself thin book" and in 3 weeks I have lost 8 pounds so far and this is without exercising!!

I cant recommend this system enough paul offers some really sound sensible advice that you really take on board...fantastic
on 18 April 2010
I know that its usual to get your review in on a book as quickly as possible, but with this book I thought what would be the point? Yes, I could tell everyone know how well it was written, what it said made sound sense, good layout, etc etc. But what I wouldn't have been able to tell you is whether or not it worked. I couldn't have done that without testing PKs theories first. So that's what I've been doing for the past four weeks. I gave it a fair go so that I could pass on exactly whether or not the book will do what it says it will do.
Background - Female, 54 years old, menopausal and of course overweight! And as we all know ladies, when Mrs Menopause comes aknocking on your door she brings with her several girlfriends, one of which is Mistress Weight Gain - bitch! And you know that weight gain at our time of life is nigh on impossible to get rid of. Yes, like you all I've tried every conceivable diet, fad going but the golden rule of thumb during the menopause is not to diet isn't it - Menopause without Weight Gain: The 5 Step Solution to Challenge Your Changing Hormones. What's a girl to do? I'll tell you what she does - she follows PKs instructions to the letter and DOES NOT DIET!!!!! THIS IS NOT A DIET.

Four weeks ago I weighed - 11st 12lbs (with clothes on) so say 11st 8lbs naked and I started on the 90 day programme that I hoped would be the beginning of a new way of viewing food. Today (18 April) was my second weigh in and lo and behold I was exactly 11st (naked). I have lost 8lbs in four weeks and never, ever in my entire life has that ever happened before. But here's the best bit: I've not once ever felt that hungry I was near to feinting (as you usually do on diets), I've not counted calories, I've not had to suffer the gagging reflex trying to swallow dry pieces of cardboard! I've not had to practically kill myself in the gym in the hope of losing a few ounces. I've lost 8lbs in four weeks just by being committed to giving this system a fair trial. And in short - IT WORKED FOR ME! What ran through my mind reading the book was - If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got! - Try something different - it just might work. It worked for me and the reason being was I was prepared to give this 100% commitment. I read the instructions, practiced the lessons and stayed with the programme and will continue to do so for the next 60 days. After which, this will be the way I will live with food for the rest of my life hopefully.

But all this doesn't mean that you don't have to put in a little bit of effort. You do. Effort into the programme, effort into staying with the four golden rules, effort into listening to the CD and effort into getting off your backside and doing something! For me its walking, sometimes, 30mins a day, sometimes a whole hour at as brisk a pace as I can manage. That's all you need to do honestly. But if you're feint of heart, don't have 100% commitment and still want to give the `Cabbage Soup' another go - then this book isn't for you.
1414 comments|369 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2005
Ok, like many people I just thought of Paul McKenna as a cheap TV hypnotist and mentally filed him away as such. So I didn't take any interest in this book at first....
....my problem is that I've always been about 20 or so pounds overweight since about puberty. Most of my family are overweight too, and I had come to accept my condition as 'normal' in that it was in our family genes. Sure, I've lost it a few times with strict dieting and tough exercise regimes, but whenever I slacked off the regime( as I had to eventually) it came back on with a couple of extra pounds for good measure.
I came across this book while browsing Amazon, decided to take the plunge after reading so many other positive reviews and reasoned that even if it was useless, it was only 10 pounds down the drain....what a surprise! I read the book in about 4 hours, listened to the CD and started doing what was recommended. After about a week my previously tight trousers felt slacker, and I had more get up and go...it has now been about a month since I started and I've lost half a stone! I haven't done anything drastic: just followed the 4 Golden Rules and walked a bit more in my daily life.
Please give this a try if you're at the end of your tether with being overweight. It seems to work for many people and is NOT a diet. McKenna is a genius!
on 24 December 2005
Like all the other reviews here... this book and cd simply work. And I've worked out why it only works for 70% of people and not the others.
In my enthusiasm for this CD, I have pushed it on friends of mine and leant it to them and copied the cd (sorry Paul). But it never works as well for them.
It only works for the ones who make the decision themselves to buy it.
So... if you are one of the ones searching it out now... you have made that decision yourself and YES, it will work for you.
So pleased was I with the weight loss in the summer that I bought Change Your Life in 7 Days by Paul McKenna. It was impossible to follow so soon after the Weight Loss one and also being in a busy family enviroment.
I took it away with me on a week's holiday 2 weeks ago, and I can honestly say it has changed my complete outlook. I have never felt so energised. It was like 3 great therapy sessions a day.
His books and CD's are worth their weight in gold!
on 10 August 2006
This is my first review of any amazon product, despite being an avid buyer, but I wanted to say something about this book/cd combo since I've genuinely had such a great experience with it.

Since my teens I've always been a little bit overweight. Although not madly upset by it I have tried all the usual diets, but I've never been able to stick to them for more than a few days at a time and always ended up binging to make up for my loss and putting on more weight! Still, I wasn't huge (average size 14) so it wasn't too much cause for concern past the usual New Year's resolution (we've all been there!).

But anyway, over the past year due to personal and professional stresses and a rather unhealthy lifestyle enforced by late nights at the office, I slowly put on about two and a half stone - naturally a big shock and blow when it finally hit me in May of this year.

I tried the usual things, but as usual they didn't work and made matters worse. Then I found Paul McKenna's book. I came on amazon, dubious, but after reading the reviews (the majority of which are very positive, and in my opinion rightly so) I thought I could at least give it a go.

And I'm really glad I did.

Four months later I've nearly lost all the extra weight I put on over the past year, and what's more I'm not hungry, grouchy, unhappy or exhausted from crazy exercise routines and eating plans!

His method is really simple, and the book and CD really helpful and motivating, especially in the early days when I needed the boost.

Eat what you want, when you want, but only if hungry and until satisfied.

If you're not hungry, ask yourself what you really want - I was shocked to discover how often I ate when actually not hungry; just bored or wanting a distraction or something to do! Or often - extraordinarily thirsty!!!

Simple.

Although in the first two months I slipped twice, I was able to slip right back into the method.

But here's the big thing: it works. While I've been doing it, I have lost weight and continued to lose weight - the times I slipped (mainly due to my being exhausted from work and not listening to what my body was telling me!) I didn't barate myself, I just reread his passage on "You Will At Some Point Slip" and felt tonnes better and just got on with it.

Now, I do all the points without thinking. I'm still losing weight, slowly but surely, and it's working. I'm happy, my clothes fit tonnes better and in fact in a recent shopping trip (my first since I started) I was able to fit comfortably into a size 10 button-up skirt - a first for me, ever! And my old 'usual' size 14s were a bit big, and I found I fit better generally in size 12s!

I don't listen to the CD so much anymore, but that's because I find I don't need to. The method is fabulous and really works - I eat what I want, when I want [the real shock was that I genuinely wasn't hungry a lot of the time when I was eating in the early days] and life is good.

My advice to anyone is go for it. If it worked for me, someone who has never managed to stick to a diet for more than a few days at a time and someone who has never managed to lose weight - then there's a chance it'll work for you :D
33 comments|165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2007
I've never been compelled to write a review about anything in my life, but honestly, this is the most life changing and inspirational book I have ever read!

Four stone slowly crept up on me over the past 20 years, each gain was as a result of dieting. I always knew conventional dieting was not the way forward, and subconsiously, I already knew most of the information in the book, BUT, I needed to have it written in black and white, and broken down into manageable pieces for me to get that 'EUREKA' moment while reading it on that fateful day on 5th July 2006!

Since then I have lost 4 stone and am now down to 9 stone. I have never felt so good (in the past I was always unhappy and hungry!), and never before felt confident that I would maintain this correct weight since it didn't require any effort! The CD was also inspirational and for me, definitely helped back up the information in the book.

Sure, like anything, you need to WANT to lose weight for this to work, BUT it requires none of the willpower and determination required when on a horrible diet! If you have been as depressed as me over weight issues - buy this book and STOP dieting!
11 comment|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2005
I'm sure the title of this tome could have been improved upon, but I doubt very much if the contents could be. This is, without a doubt, the very best book I have ever come across with regard to tackling the issues underlying overeating and resultant weight problems. It is well written, friendly and easy to read. The information is sensible, practical and a pleasure to implement. Contrary to first appearances, this is NOT just another diet plan. Paul obviously has a thorough understanding of the psychological and physiological processes involved in eating, and instead of putting these across in a way that only academics would understand, provides the answers which will guide you almost too easily towards healthy eating habits and resultant weight loss with the added bonus of feeling great generally! There are no lists of what you should and shouldn't eat and no recipe plans. The book comes with a mind programming CD, designed to undo whatever faulty conditioning set you up to have the problems with food which you do now. It works and should be played every day (mornings, before you get up is best). I cannot recommend this book and CD more highly. And that is an understatement.
0Comment|361 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2007
There are those who suggest that they way to "lose weight is to exercise more and consume fewer calories". Sure, it's easy to say that. Unfortunately, we live in a world where many sometimes can't help themselves. We eat too much. We know we do. We need that extra little bit of help in order to know when to stop.

This isn't a "diet" book. It doesn't tell you to only eat nuts, or avoid carbs. It's not about liquidising everything or only eating food beginning with the letter C.

This is about learning to control yourself. Knowing when to eat and when not to. The control of your mind.

It was helpful for me. It may not be helpful to everyone. That's the thing with many of these products. You may respond better to different ideas. This product is definitely worth trying though.