Size: 22 ozColour: ClearChange

on 28 November 2009
I already have the larger, solid version of this bottle & that's so good it's always being taken out of the house by other members of my family, so I needed another one for the gym.

That's when I came across this. It has the same no leak Camelbak bite valve and a removeable internal straw, so you can drink from it vertically or with your head tilted back, whichever is your preference.

The advantages of this bottle over the Camelback solid version is that it is slightly smaller, so fits in the gym equipment holders easier. It is made of lighter, flexible plastic, which you can squeeze for faster water flow. And it is cheaper, but still of the same Camelbak quality.

The solid bottle's bite valve flips down to close the flow, whereas this bottle twists to close and the bite valve remains upright, I prefer this for sports & training as it is constantly in use and the closing mechanism seems to be more watertight for chucking in the gym bag.

Overall I'm really pleased with it & I'll be buying more.
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 September 2013
This is my favourite bottle for use with bottle cages on bicycles. It fits perfectly with all the cages I've used. The bite valve makes it easy to take a sip while on the move as you don't need to tilt the bottle or tug at a stopper with your teeth. Just bite gently on the soft "nipple" and suck. The coloured bottles are slightly translucent so you can see how much liquid is left.

A few negative points. The removable valve has a tendency to develop black mould on the inside if you don't keep it meticulously clean. And once the mould starts to grow it's near impossible to get out, even with special brushes. You can buy replacement valves in packs of two, but these cost about the same as a replacement bottle. I now only use water in the bottle (no sugary drinks, as these seem to encourage the mould) and disassemble and rinse it after each use.

Also, the valve can be knocked off inadvertantly. This happened once when I had a hard fall from my bike. I didn't notice it was gone till I got home. A few days later along the same route I found it lying by the side of the path and still usable (after a wash).

Lastly, the bottle isn't entirely leakproof even when "locked" by twisting the lid. This is because the valve retains a little liquid which can drip out if the bottle is inverted. It's not a problem if used upright on a bike, but I wouldn't advise tossing this bottle in a bag.
VINE VOICEon 30 October 2012
This is my second Camelbak bottle, after my 'better bottle' got a mouldy spout. Despite cleaning it, it had to be thrown away. I considered other bottles but decided that despite this, the Camelbak was the best brand for me.

This time I went for the 'Performance' bottle as it was cheaper and held more than my original (650ml compared to 500ml.) The other difference is that the spout doesn't fold away. This wasn't really an issue for me. The bottle has a lock, to stop the drink leaking in your bag.

My main issue with this bottle is it leaks! A few times now it has started leaking from the lid, despite not being tipped. This really isn't good enough for a bottle that is this pricey.

Camelbak aren't the cheapest brand but I would definitely buy another one, when this fails. I would, however, get another 'better bottle' rather than this one.
on 12 May 2013
Best water bottle evvvvverr.. the rubber bit at the top is locked so no water can come out.. to unlock, just bite the rubber bit and the water can run freely... ive used it everyday since i got it.. and it hasnt leaked once
44 comments4 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2011
This is an excellent product, used for the second time since christmas yesterday! Cleans easily and has a locking function so the drink doesn't spill out everywhere.
on 16 December 2015
I bought this bottle because I had misplaced my old Outback bottle. Camelbak is a brand I was familiar with, so I bought it on that basis. Unlike the Outback bottle, this has a soft body, which is nice to hold without feeling as though it might slip from your grasp.

The fixed loop handle is really sturdy and wide enough to hook a chunky finger through.

Initially, I really struggled with the bite valve a lot, as I felt like I was having to work exceptionally hard to get a small amount of water out of the bottle, until I worked out that it is best to bite the valve (near the top) to open it and squeeze the body of the bottle as you suck. Using this method is much better, but it still takes a little more effort that perhaps it should to drink from.

Other reviewers have mentioned the following issues:

Plastic taste: This is only very slight and generally barely noticeable, especially after filling it with fresh water.

Mould: I have been using this daily for about 4 months now, and I have seen no evidence of this. I do not wash it regularly. However, I do give it a quick rinse when refilling. I have had mould problems with other bottles (which, due to the complex moulding of the inside of the lid, were a nightmare to clean) the underside of this lid is very plain and flat by comparison and I feel that this would be easy to clean. [See picture] I would say a standard bottle brush and some Milton would be able to clean this bottle thoroughly and easily.

Leakage: I have tossed this bottle about without ever using the twist lock system and I have never noticed it spill a drop.

I do not use this in any "performance" capacity i.e. cycling or running, but It's comparatively light weight, robust construction and 650-700ml capacity would make it suitable for either activity.

I will definitely look to purchase one of these bottles again, despite my slight reservation about the bite valve. Overall a solid 4 stars in my experience.
review image
on 30 May 2013
I am trying to drink more water and this bottle is great for it as it has the measurements on the side. I love the mouthpiece too as you dont have to tip the bottle to drink just bite and also the no spill part is great too as it means I can take it with me in my bag and not worry that it will spill.
on 30 April 2013
This took a bit of getting used to because drinking from it is different than most sports bottles, but it's fine. I do wish it were just a little bit smaller, or that there were a smaller version--500ml would be perfect for me
on 20 November 2013
I only wished I bought this sports bottle in the first place, instead of wasting my money of three other sports bottles before buying this one! The problems with my other sports bottles is that the drinking piece also slides back, making taking a sip extremely difficult when I am running. Also with my other sports bottles, I always had to tip my head back to get a swig... not good when I'm running outside or treadmill!

I love my Camelbak, it's well made and feels good quality! The trademark bite valve makes it very easy to run and drink at the same time, without taking your eyes off the road. Its easy to clean, and has never leaked in my bag (I like the twist open-close functionality). The walls of the bottle made of a strong but flexible plastic (not the usual hard plastic Eddy's), which is a good thing as I've accidentally dropped my Camelbak twice, and it's skirted on the pavement... maybe I'm lucky, but I am surprised that I haven't got scratches or big gouges out on my bottle!

My top tip (for those who use hydration tablets), don't twist and close the top of the Camelbak bottle (after you've dropped a hydration tablet into the water), only close it after the hydration tablet has dissolved (usually 1.5 mins); reason being is that the pressure can build up so much, it'll take you by surprise!! It's like a shooting fountain in your mouth when you take your first bite onto the bite valve for your first drink!! You have been warned!! :-)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2012
My favorite bottle so far, the bottle is ergonomic, fits in a side pocket on my rook sack & in my bike cage, also it has useful hook on the lid which i have used a carabiner for easy access when walking, one thing that would top this off if they made a tube like the hydration packs for when out on short walks when a large bladder not appropriate. The components are good and easy to clean. One big plus for me is you dont need to tilt your head when near the bottom, all in all cant think of anything negative about this product

See one answered question