4.5 out of 5 stars2,321

on 19 January 2015
 I would definitely recommend this backpack. I am pleased about it's size and I'm able to fit a lot in it. I've used it for the gym, for weekends away and for grocery shopping. I've also used it in the rain and found that it is suitably waterproof. I've not experienced any problems with stitching and overall I think the quality is good.

Pros:

Large space (actually 44L) and able to carry heavy loads (i.e 10kg)
Comfortable to carry on back
Compartments for separate documents
Large and sturdy zips

Con:

Has quite a plastic sound (see video)
Unsure if it'll last longer than 1-2 years.

Please see the video for full comments. If you have any questions please reply to this review.

UPDATE 01-12-2015: I used this bag for approximately 8 months before the seams started to rip. The tear did not prevent me from using the bag but did prevent me from separating out stuff between the large pocket and the small secondary pocket. Overall you get what you pay for, the bag was good initially, and if you only use it one or twice every few months (for a holiday) then I'm sure it'll last you a while. But if like me you used it nearly every day then you'll get wear and tear very quickly. I've taken off a star for this and bought a more expensive branded backpack.
66 comments|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2012
I regularly fly with Ryanair and have been looking for the perfect hand luggage bag which will allow me to pack enough luggage for a week, thus avoiding the extortinate fees they charge for checked-in luggage...The Cabin Max backpack is, in my opinion, the perfect solution.

If you are considering buying this backpack, I thought it may help to give you a better idea of how much it can actually hold. Here is a list of what I packed for my latest week long trip abroad:

Waterproof jacket,1 pair cargo pants, 1 pair of jeans, 3 pairs of leggings, 2 hoodies, 5 vest tops, 3 jumpers/tops, 2 cardigans, pair of PJs, undies and socks, pair of walking boots, 2 pairs of ballet pump style shoes, toiletries, make up and hair straighteners. There was still room to fit my small cross-body bag, enabling me to meet Ryanair's strict "One item of hand luggage only" rule. All of this gear still weighed in under the 10kg allowance and the bag fitted easily in and out of the Ryanair luggage gauge at the airport.

The zip up pocket on the front is perfect for keeping flight tickets, passport and other important items close to hand.

The bag is comfortable to carry - it has padded straps which can easily be adjusted to suit the individual.

The bag looks well made and the zips have a solid heavy duty feel to them.

I highly recommend this bag, it is well worth the money. I can't imagine travelling without it now!
22 comments|223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2010
Ordered this before taking three low-cost flights and so glad I did. It's easy to pack a week's worth of holiday stuff including a laptop and travel documents in this bag. I've also got the Dussel Cabin Backpack which is the same size/price but has better padding for laptops and definitely worth a look.

Originally I was intending to buy a trolley style wheelie case, but having read the other reviews decided this bag would be a better option. The advantages are threefold. Firstly, this bag totally compresses when you're not using it so takes up little space for storage. Second, the bag is a lot lighter than a hard case trolley, and third, a wheelie case does not have a pocket in the front for documents. Important because Easyjet are now getting really strict about the 'one bag only' rule. Someone in front of me in the queue got asked to find room in her bag for the handbag she was carrying, which involved unzipping her entire case. Nightmare!

The only criticism I would make of this bag is that it's so spacious that you'll undoubtably end up carrying some of your travel companions' stuff that they can't fit in their own bag. Or otherwise, you'll take more stuff than you would have otherwise and the bag will be heavy on your back.

Overall though, this is definitely a smart choice for travellers. Thumbs up!
33 comments|187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2010
A great product at the price. With some well known budget airlines now charging for hold baggage but lifting weight restrictions on cabin bags, the Cabin Max does what it says and allows you to make full use of the available space whilst staying within the size limits. Once loaded the straps are tensioned to condense the bag to the required size. There are lots of inner pockets and compartments to stow toiletries and possibly wet clothing. On a week long stay in Spain I was able to fit everything I needed into the Cabin Max and still have room for a tea pot and baby clothes. The lack of wheels and pull out handle reduces weight and was not a problem as the shoulder straps are perfectly adequate. The Cabin Max is excellent value for money.
2424 comments|322 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2012
I bought this bag for my recent trip to Tenerife. I managed a complete week, with clothes, make-up, hair styler etc all in this backpack. And it saved £70 each way on a suitcase!! Highly recommend
on 5 July 2011
Unfortunately the Cabin Max Backpack Flight bag I purchased was very poor quality. First the seam split open the complete length of the small front pocket where I was keeping travel documents. Second the adjoining seam started to split open thus allowing valuables in the internal zipped mesh pocket to slip out. Third the seam along the top into the main compartment started to open.
I have only used the bag a few times, it was never filled and as I was carrying valuables and personal effects it was always treated gently.
A big disappointment.
review image review image review image
22 comments|219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2015
I purchased this item for a single, 12 day trip to Brazil, from which I have just returned. In total I have purchased 4 of these bags from you (we are a family of 4, traveling as a group). This particular bag fell apart. First the interior pocket spilt. Then the section separating the pocket from the main bag split. Then one carry strap broke.

Given the light use (12 days, one holiday), and the inconvenience this caused myself and my family, on what was meant to be a "holiday of a lifetime" I am not only upset that the policy is not to communicate in person, but not to allow a return beyond 30 days - given it is normal to buy luggage a few day, or weeks before you need it........
review image review image review image review image
22 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 July 2012
Six months ago, my partner and I bought two of these backpacks just before we moved from the UK to Chiang Mai. The plan was that we'd check in the bulk of our luggage but use our backpacks for essentials (including our laptops, which are very light), plus also for a few days' worth of clothes, should our hold luggage become mislaid or delayed (it's never happened yet but it pays to plan for every eventuality, right?!). We also thought they would be ideal for our trips to Laos and Cambodia, for weekends away to other parts of Thailand, and for day-trips etc. Size-wise, we were right; we could easily get enough clothing for a week into the backpacks, including towels, swimming gear, and toiletries. In this respect, yes, these are good pieces of kit. There are plenty of pockets too, which means you don't have to rummage around for documents, money, mossie spray, etc., and there is plenty of padding on the back and on the straps, making them pretty comfortable backpacks.

Unfortunately, the materials and construction leave a lot to be desired, particularly at the points where the horizontal security straps are attached; these do not take stress well, and mine had torn before we'd even boarded the 'plane at Heathrow. My partner's tore within a couple of days of arriving in Thailand. During the following fortnight, the seams became progressively weaker, despite never overloading the backpacks, nor putting anything particularly heavy in them. Next to go was the lining in the pockets, followed by the zips coming away, and then the carry straps themselves began to pull away from the body. If these things had happened to just one backpack, I'd chalk it up to a random faulty item; however, the fact that the same faults have occurred in both of them suggests to me that this kind of thing is the norm for this model.

In conclusion, given the lack of longevity and the inferior materials, I really cannot say that these backpacks are worth the money. While I didn't expect them to be as tough as those designed specifically for backpacking, I did expect them to last the journey from our home in the UK to our new home in Thailand. As it is, I really cannot recommend them for anything other than transporting a couple of towels and some swimming gear... in which case, why would you need something so large?
66 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2011
I bought one 5 months ago, I used it for one trip.

Pulled it out cupboard last week for another trip and the seams are comeing apart, no info on manufacturer website for returns or waranty.
on 19 January 2013
We bought one of these and one Düssel Laptop Backpack for Aircraft Cabin 55 X 40 X 20 cm for a trip to Sardinia in January. The main advantage is that you save time and money checking in bags into the hold (Ryanair now charges up to fifty pounds for the privilege). And in terms of carry-on options, a bag like this is good because it frees your hands up to wrestle with passports, print-outs and restaurant trays. You're also not going to get stopped by the "queue police" with a bag on your back; as far as I can tell only people with wheelie cases seem to get harassed.

The two bags differ mainly in terms of weight. Whereas the Cabinmax is ultra-light, it's not waterproof. The Düssel bag provides a lot more padding and protection (actually, it's designed to protect laptops), and is also water resistant. However, it is quite a bit heavier and therefore harder to store.

Another difference between these products is the size - CabinMax can be totally stuffed and still not be over the size limit whereas you'd have to be a bit more careful with the Düssel bag because the outer dimensions are the maximum allowed. Price-wise I'm afraid Düssel wins hands down. And the quality of the Düssel bag is actually better in my opinion.

But if you want a lightweight cabin bag that's easy to store and has one main pocket with a few external ones for passports and things, this Cabin Max is great!
44 comments|150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse