on 28 June 2007
The book was challenging and could provoke thought for genuine people trying to find answers . there is a lot of logical arguments and expertise from people who originally approached christianity with skepticism.i used to be a christian but am trying to review all the evidence to make an informed choice.this book has helped to start to get my brain ticking and i have already passed it onto another friend.
on 26 October 2010
Having discussed some questions which I have about things I don't understand in the bible, some friends recommended that I get this book and read chapter 6. My main question is whether hell is God's way of taking revenge or whether he's doing it in order to punish (correct a problem). If it was revenge, which it seems to be, then it contradicts the idea of God being loving.

I read chapter 6, "A loving God would never torture people in hell". Lee Strobel doesn't really say much himself, but quotes other people; mainly someone named "Moreland".

At the end Lee comments ..."And I believed that Moreland's analysis, overall, was sufficient to knock down hell as an obstacle."

Unfortunately, the analysis was not good enough for me. The only positive I got from Moreland's analysis was that he had a few slightly reasonable arguments to suggest that hell might not be excruciatingly painful.

Some of the arguments I consider to be simply untrue, especially the concluding quote. For example, it explains that the reason people go to hell is because they... "want to be at the center of the universe." Of course the bible doesn't teach that; it teaches that people who don't believe in Jesus go to hell. I can't imagine anyone believing in hell, but choosing to go there because they "want to be at the center of the universe."

Another problem I have is that it doesn't attempt to answer my main question. I don't expect him to be psychic and read my mind, knowing exactly which question I'm asking, but I consider my question to logical enough to be considered in such a chapter. Instead, it assumes that some sort of hell / "punishment" is necessary, without explaining what good will come out of it.

Anyway, after all that, my point is that I am not yet convinced by Lee Strobel. I need simple, direct answers to my questions. For example, when hell is spoken of in the bible, it is referred to as punishment in some instances, but revenge in others. The two are completely different, so which is it... is it punishment, or revenge?

Stephen Oberauer
Author of The Mischievous Nerd's Guide to World Domination
66 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 November 2000
As a highschool philosophy student, lately I've faced an increased battle between what I know through my relationship with God and what I can understand through reason. I found this book very helpful. It's discussions about topics that few mainstream Christians address showed that faith can indeed stand under criticism. While I recognize that he was out prove that Christianity was a valid standpoint (so mabye an eensy-weensy biased), he DID ask some pretty pointed questions to competent Christian philosophers and scientists. While it may not engage hardcore philosophers, I personally appreciated its appeal to the everyday, casual thinker. I was also blown away by the story of Billy Graham's friend, an evangelist turned aggressive opponent of Christianity. I thought it was an effective opening example to what uncountered doubt can do to faith (or the possibility of faith). Well, I suggest this book, especially to those who remember that we can't approach God completely by human wisdom or reasoning anyway (hehehe).
on 1 June 2011
Following a format similar to his other books, Lee Strobel presents a strong challenge to the challengers of Christian faith. Is it reasonable, what about everything that's wrong with faith, why would you believe, what about...well, everything? Strobel deals with all this fairly, objectively, and with detailed investigation of both the facts and the emotions that drive the questions.

This book continues to be a strong defender of faith and will be a helpful aid to those who find their faith challenged. But more than that it will stand up to scrutiny by those who challenge the concept of faith in general and the truth of the Christian faith in particular. Highly recommended.
on 10 April 2011
Lee Strobel is a former atheist who some years ago set out to disprove the validity of the Christian faith and instead became a convert and the author of many books arguing the case for Christianity. In this book he gives some cogently reasoned responses to the eight most common objections raised by non-believers. Not always an easy read, it could in my opinion be quite substantially cut without losing substance, but is well worth the effort.
on 5 March 2015
I am a fairly new convert to Christianity, and i bought this book after reading about it on the internet. It is a very thought provoking book, and it does answer some questions, but not all. It is though a very interesting read and is great to discuss with others. I would definitely recommend this book to others who are thinking of converting or are struggling with their faith.
on 27 July 2014
Gives possibilities to some difficult questions, easy to read, very understandable. Book arrived when it was supposed to and inmuch better condition than I expected from description and price. Very pleased with the whole transaction.
on 27 May 2013
This book covers some very difficult questions with clarity and confidence.
The author doesn't claim to know everything but attempts to break down the barriers that keep so many people from investigating Christianity.
on 22 December 2011
Lee Strobel probes thoroughly and objectively the key questions that non Christians frequently ask about Christianity. Not an easy read, but a very rewarding one. Cetainly laid to rest several of the doubts I had.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2016
Great book. Worth a read if you have faith or if you don't.
It won't break anyone's presupposition (nothing can) but it's good to strengthen faith or have a little insight into people that believe.