From the Back Cover
Making the move to C++ is easy and fast with this concise, on-target book by C/C++ expert Ira Pohl. By building on the programmer's knowledge of C, the book provides a seamless transition to C++. Extensive exercises and frequent language comparisons teach concepts quickly and introduce the language's powerful object-oriented features. In addition, Pohl's trademark "Dissection" technique illustrates the underlying structure of programs and helps readers understand design tradeoffs. Based on the proposed ANSI C++ standard, the book covers the latest language features including detailed discussions of templates and exception handling.Features
- Provides a smooth transition to C++ and object-oriented programming for programmers already familiar with C
- Discusses in detail new C++ language features including two new chapters on templates and exception handling
- Contains a new comprehensive reference appendix to C++
- Uses "Dissections," the author's trademark approach, to explain new programming elements and idioms
- Implements a consistent and standard coding style accepted by professionals in the C++ community
- Includes fully-tested code in all example programs.
- Tests conceptual and practical understanding through excellent end-of-chapter exercises
About the Author
Ira Pohl is a Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Santa Cruz and holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Stanford University. His research interests include artificial intelligence, the C and C++ programming languages, practical complexity problems, heuristic search methods, deductive algorithms, and educational and social issues. He originated error analysis in heuristic search methods and deductive algorithms.
Professor Pohl was formerly a Mackay professor at University of California- Berkeley and a ZWO fellow in the Netherlands. He is the author or co-author of Object-Oriented Programming Using C++, C++ Distilled: A Concise Ansi/Iso Reference and Style Guide, C by Dissection: The Essentials of C Programming, A Book on C: Programming in C, C++ for C Programmers, C++ for Fortran Programmers, C++ for Pascal Programmers, and Turbo C: The Essentials of C Programming, all published by Addison-Wesley.