Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Up to 70% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Sep 2010 10:50:24 BDT
I bought a used copy of SC2 and have been unable to activate it; I only write this so that resellers and buyers of used copies of SC2 are forewarned. Blizzard are slow to respond to emails and phone calls, and when you do get through to them be prepared to be fobbed off with all sorts of reasons as to why it is virtually impossible to transfer the license between battle.net accounts.

The long and the short of it is that Blizzard want to make more money and reduce piracy to such an extent that they have put in place such a burdensome process that most will just give up and buy a full price copy. As a seller you have no option of deactivating your license key, and as a buyer you cannot influence the transfer of an activated license to your battle.net account. Blizzard obviously have a process in place to handle such issues, but they have made it hard to discover (can you see it on their website?) and they support line will not explain it for fear of weakening the process. As a reseller you will have no knowledge of the buyers battle.net account details (why should you) and it was explained to me by a Blizzard support supervisor that for data protection reasons the reseller should not have access to such information, and yet I was told that because cases of license transfer are so irregular that the only way this can be achieved is through both parties contacting Blizzard and providing the details which they shouldn't have!

All I want to do is have a legitimate copy of SC2 to play on my laptop for when I'm away from home. If you want the easy option then don't try to save money buying a used copy of SC2; save yourself the hassle and pay full price.

Posted on 19 Sep 2010 14:06:42 BDT
DKL says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2010 09:31:39 BDT
Cheap skate? Well without knowing you and how you like to dispose of your wealth all I can say is that from my perspective the full price of SC2 is considerably more than I would have liked to pay in comparisson to the reduced price of used copies. I'm not an avid gamer. I don't have a large dispoable income. My laptop is a work laptop. I have a family and am the sole wage earner. I get no benefits, nor do I ask for any. I don't think of myself as wealthy, merely able to cover my expenditure, which is why I like to save money when I can.

The reason for my post was to ensure that people aren't mislead by comments made by StarCraft forum administrators saying that it's okay to buy a used copy of SC2 when it hasn't been the case for me. I do resent that I don't "own" the game when I buy the software and will not accept that you cannot transfer ownership of the license.

I do wonder where amazon stand in this situation as they are the middle-man facilitating the transaction? Perhaps as you're so smart you can answer that if you have time from catching out whiners who obviously (to you) have more money than they need and are just plain greedy.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2010 15:12:56 BDT
DKL says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 20 Sep 2010 18:47:01 BDT
Amazon will do nothing about this because it doesn't cost them anything and they lose nothing except some credibility.

I don't know how many games out there are reliant upon there being a server to support multiplayer game-play, but I know that it will only be a small percentage (of all games sold). Of the people buying SC2, only a small number of those will play online, and of that group there will be an even smaller subset who play (online) regularly. The resistance of Blizzard to facilitating license transfer has everything to do with revenue protection; this was evident from the answers given to me by the call handler when I spoke to Blizzard. Apparently it depends upon the reason the seller provides; if they have had the game for a few days and decide they don't like it then it "might" be possible to transfer the license, however if they have played the game through and have logged extensive time online in the multiplayer environment then Blizzard would "might not" transfer the license.

Now compare this to a console title; you can buy it on launch day, play through to get your rank points, then sell it and only make a small loss.

The post extract below was taken from http://www.amazon.com/sell-the-game-once-activated/forum/Fx2RW8IRFN8JW6J/Tx3UOEUM51UEEDX/1/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdMsgNo=16&asin=B000ZKA0J6&cdSort=oldest&cdMsgID=Mx3V63R3KRQSSGK#Mx3V63R3KRQSSGK

Jonathan R. Tietz says:
You CAN sell this game if you purchase a hard copy. The CD key is linked to your Battle.net account. So if you were to terminate your account you could then sell the game freely and whoever purchased it could then create their own account. This game CAN be re-sold in hard-copy format.

Good luck out there!

Jon
StarCraft2Forum.org Admin

Posted on 30 Oct 2010 00:08:46 BDT
H. Wong says:
StarCraft2Forum.org isn't a Blizzard owned website so isn't an official source. It's more a fansite.
The CD key - battle.net account system seems to be pretty rigid in order to gear it towards being a serious esport. To prevent things like getting a new account as a veteran player and dominating newer players (smurfing)- each new account requires a new purchase of the game, well at least the purchase of the CD-key and a free download of the game..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  16 Sep 2010
Latest post:  30 Oct 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac/PC DVD-ROM)
Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac/PC DVD-ROM) by Blizzard (Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Windows XP)
4.1 out of 5 stars (286)