Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Britsh based Accountz company was established way back in 1985. This is their latest accounting software offering: Business Accountz Basic, the bottom of the Accountz Business range. There are 3 different versions in the Business Accountz Range. The look and feel is the same in all versions. The difference between versions is in the level and range of features. For example, Business Accountz Basic includes most of the table views, whereas Professional and Enterprise also include the Designer module for invoices and other document production. So if you want to produce invoices and need customer tracking, statements and quotations, then you will need Business Accountz Professional that costs £150 more retail. This Basic version offers: Simple & fast bookkeeping - it's fully editable, it has instant VAT returns, it can export data to spreadsheets, produce accountant ready reports, and it offers 'Free lifetime forum support'. It's Designed to keep the books for all types of business, whether sole-trader, partnership, limited company, VAT or non-VAT registered. Business Accountz Basic aims to 'make bookkeeping enjoyable and simple'. You can see and edit everything you enter, and using Accountz Rapid Data Entry system, you will apparently 'do it far more quickly than anything else currently available'. Business Accountz Basic is pure bookkeeping. That is, it is 100% transaction based, rather than form based which most other software is. The advantage is that you can take all your source documents (eg. invoices, receipts, bank statements etc) and enter them in one after another in any order directly into a table.

The disadvantage of this cheapest Basic version is although being simpler and easy to use, this is because it is short on features, and compares perhaps a little unfavourably with Microsoft's Office Accounting Professional 2009 that costs only a little more money, offers far more and has full integration into Microsoft Office 2003/2007. That said many small businesses stick to paper and Excel, so in this respect Accountz Basic offers more than Excel in terms of accounting features. Plus it's ease of use is it's top selling point, although I can't imaging many not hankering for that basic feature that Accountz Basic lacks, the ability to issue those quotes and invoices. But if you are happy to carry on doing that manually Accountz Basic might well be for you - and it's probably a lot easier than trying to get to grips with the likes of market leader Sage-50, so favoured by professional accountants. Plus, unlike Office Accounting 2009, Accountz Basic's box includes a very useful thick paper manual, not just a pdf version on the CD.

However with the more expensive Accounts Business Professional you can Manage customers, Design and print invoices, Send quotations and estimates, Track unpaid invoices, and do 'Pure, fast bookeeping'. This is more likely to be what small businesses want, and even many who are self employed. However the upgrade price from Basic to Professional is a little steep, so make sure you get the package that meets your needs. There's also Accountz Business Enterprise, retail £400, that adds in: managing suppliers, Designing and printing purchase orders, Tracking bills, an Organiser and event tracker, and the ability to Automate transactions. Trouble is this is similar in price to market leader 'Sage 50', also designed for the small business - although I'm pretty sure Accountz Enterprise will be easier to use by non-accountants. Plus Accountz also offer reasonably priced training courses for their software in Cambridgeshire or London.

So this Basic Accountz Business software is fairly cheap, but quite limited [actually not offering that much more than Excel]. Sadly Accountz don't offer a try before you buy, unlike Microsoft with their Accounting 2009, so you have to buy this product to see if it meets your needs [although Accountz direct offer a 14 day trial period during which you can claim a refund]. Chances are you'll find that you are tempted to buy the Professional or Enterprise version though, or simply try Microsoft Office Accounting 2009's free download - so overall 3* for features, 5* for ease of use. However Accountz software usefully runs on just about anything PC wise: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows Vista or XP, and Microsoft have just announced that Office Accounting 2009 will no longer be supported by them after November 2009. Also check out Sage's Instant Accounts v16, thats similar in price to Accountz Basic, is highly rated and has an invoicing tool included.
VINE VOICEon 11 June 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have tried Microsoft Small Business Accounting and Quickbooks but this package beats the others hands down. It installs and runs very easily and is easy to set up. It has a 280 page manual - so much better than looking through a PDF manual (although that is also provided) and it also has a really useful free on-line help forum. A couple of quick searches gave me the answers to some queries I had, such as how to deal with Paypal payments. The only snag is that with this Basic edition you cannot issue invoices - even though you can deal with VAT. I found this really surprising. I'm not sure what kind of business would be big enough to be registered for VAT but would not need to create invoices.
on 13 July 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In a nutshell this is far easier to setup and understand from the off than certain other big brand accounting packages and not only this but for once it understands all things british.

It takes a while to install even though it;s not too big but once ready to run for the first time it eases you through all the setup questions with explanations of what each thing means if your new to it all, should you make a mistake you can even modify your initial settings which I found to be a breath of fresh air.

Okay so it's not all rosie... The one thing that all Microsoft users will find annoying is a new interface that is not all that clear to use.

It is the basic version which you can see from the specifactions above of what it will and wont do so I wont bore you with that, quite simply put if you want a stable accounting package that works - designed for brits - easy to use - extremely affordable then this is for you.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am afraid that I couldn't get on well with this product, but I can see that many others would and at a fraction of the price of many similar products. It is relatively small in terms of hard disk space used, when compared to its competitors and even loaded on both my linux based and Vista based PC's. My problem is that I trialled this software after years of using Quickbooks and latterly a Sage accounting system: the product is pretty good, but I just couldn't get it to work in the same way that I can with Quickbooks and Sage.

I do think that it is a good product though and offers very good value for the business which is just starting up and which needs to utilise a package with which to maintain its accounts: one drawback may be that many accountants may still require you to provide them with hard copy, as they will not generally have this software within their library.

In time, if I had a need, I think that I could work quite happilly with this product and therefore have no hesitation in recommending it. One really positive point is that it is very stable in operation across both platforms that I use, is relatively quick and represents good value to those who need a cheap and reliable package that offers much of what a small business requires in terms of accounts and billing.
on 24 April 2010
We were looking for an accounts package for the Mac that would allow us to handle the VAT for our sports club.

We bought Business Accountz Basic as it seemed to fit our needs.

Unfortunately, its not very easy to set up and use and because of the cross platform nature of the software it is not very Mac like and a bit clunky.

However, one major omission in the software feature list is that you cannot print your accounts directly from Accountz Basic. Printing is only available if you buy the next version up. This is such a basic requirement, we never thought to check this out before buying it.

For us, this is a huge disadvantage as we needed to print some basic reports on the accounts for the committee. The only way to do this, is to export the various accounts as csv files and dump the files in another application to then print the information.

I can't think of any other application that does not allow some sort of basic printing (except perhaps if the software is on trial).

Consider this as trial software that you have to pay for. As such it only gets 1 star from me.

As an aside we found that Amazon was the cheapest place to buy, although that may change from time to time.
on 23 July 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Installed without problems. Straight forward to use. The VAT can be manually altered, which may be a usefull option to some. For a business for excample someone who has some shops and maybe runs a small taxi business. They can manage the data quite nicely using this package. This will indicate what the profits and loss is and what issues that may need attention. Recomended.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Basic Business Accountz is the entry level product in the Accountz range of business software; Professional additionally covers invoicing and customer management, and Enterprise is for those who also need purchase order and supplier management. All the versions have Rapid Data Entry technology including a one click VAT return. UK based Accountz have been producing well regarded software since 1985.

I have also used Accountz Personal finance package for a while and, although I have been a Quicken fan for many years, I am coming to like the Accountz product the more I use it. The same with this Business package, the more I find out what it can do the more impressed I become with it.

Basic Business Accountz is aimed at various business types whether sole-trader, partnership, limited company, VAT or non-VAT registered this software is suitable. The only thing to be aware of is the lack of an invoicing facility in this Basic version - you need Professional for that. Although I wouldn't go as far as agreeing that this software will make doing your accounts fun it will certainly take a lot of the hassle out of it!

At the time of writing Amazon is offering this product for less than fifty quid - well under half the recommended price. The price alone would lead to an unreserved recommendation, this, coupled to the features offered, makes an easy five stars! Amazon has provided a Manufacturers Description which gives additional information on the products features and is worth reading.
on 1 November 2008
Having purchased Personal Accountz in January this year for a small partnership business I'm in, I was pleasantly surprised at the simplicity and speed of entry in Personal Accountz also the reports,brilliant! Although I've been using Sage Line 50 (on my accountants recommendation) for my retail business for the past year, I purchased Business Accountz in the hope that it would be more user friendly on the basis of P/A. I have now put my last year's accounts on and have to say Business Accountz has given me a system that's quick and easy to understand and is fun to work with. There is superb back up through their online forum and are introducing new developments on a regular basis. I'm looking at my accounts with a new interest and enthusiasm.Very well done Accountz.
VINE VOICEon 17 June 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Most of us seem to think that in order to compile business accounts we either need to pay an accountant or invest in extremely expensive software to help us do it ourselves. Not so! I was flabbergasted by what I could actually do with this package, namely everything I needed to in order to get the job done. What's more it was all fantastically easy to do, no need to be an accountant or sit staring at the screen scratching one's head and wondering what to do. Brilliant.
VINE VOICEon 4 August 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I work for myself as a freelancer and therefore I need to keep on top of my own accounts and tax issues.

This program has made my life easier in that respect. It's easy to use, and quick to get to grips with. It looks like any standard Windows software, which helps to remove any teething problems, and logs any changes you make as soon as you have made them. Some have criticised it for looking a bit antiquated, a bit blocky, but then this isn't a computer game, it's an accounting tool. It does what I want it to do and it does it well. It looks about as exciting as it needs to look, and most importantly it's very clearly arranged and easy to get around.

I'd never used software before, having preferred to save money and do things manually, but this software has made my life so much easier already and really is worth the one-off outlay.