Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now Learn more

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 11 August 2011
Wow. I found this book... original, disturbing, horrific and completely nothing like I expected it to be.

Firstly, I didn't realise it was in verse form and when it arrived I was a bit reluctant to begin seeing as my past experiences with novels in verse are Dante's Inferno and Paradise Lost. Must I say anymore? But... I went against my initial instinct and found that I loved the way the style just flowed, I read page after page and suddenly realised I'd devoured half the book in less than an hour (this is a book with nearly 600 pages). The story wasn't lost in the poetry and, if anything, it only served to make the story more effective.

The basic plot is that of a strictly religious mormon family, the father is a violent drunk and the mother takes the beatings and verbal abuse simply because she is a woman and her husband is in charge of her. Yeah, seriously. My feminist stomach clenched with anger at that one. Especially when Brother Crandell (I think - I don't have the book to hand) told Pattyn that the only way she could be redeemed for being born female is to fulfill God's wishes and have lots of babies (because that's a woman's role). This is the kind of book that makes you want to tear your hair out with frustration and violently maim several of the characters. As a woman, I felt the indignity and anger with her. And yes, I'm sure you could argue that not all mormons believe that women are essentially useless without men (but Stephenie Meyer helped to spread the rumour) and this may not be the typical situation, but this does happen. Not in some other time, a couple of centuries ago, but right now. Even in the supposedly civilised West.

The plot takes a rebellious Pattyn, fuelled by teenage hormones, out of this strict, religious world. She is sent to live with her Aunt and finds how different life can be when a relationship is based on love, not fear. But good things can't last forever and eventually her past starts calling her back. I won't spoil the ending, but know this: Burned made me cry, made me angry, made me curious... it is a book I know I'll never forget.
on 1 November 2011
After finding Crank, Impulse and Identical in a book shop in the US which was shutting down, i couldn't believe my luck. I found them enthrallng and read all 3 within 4 days. This lead me to purchase 'burned' online and although i would by no means call it a 'bad' book, i would also not say that it is her best. So if you are a first time reader, i'd reccommend Identical first and them Impulse. However, if you have read these books already but find yourself feeling the need for another (i would understand completely haha) then you should definately still consider 'Burned.'
on 23 September 2014
I love the poetic prose Ellen Hopkins uses to tell her stories, and the content of her stories I find very true to life. Compelling stories, told with courage, and integrity, and absolute pageturners.
In burned, the terror of the religion, which let the father get away with abusing wife and daughter is horribly well told.
on 5 July 2015
A heartfelt & real story that stays with you long after reading.