Format: Hardcover-spiral|Change

on 12 April 2010
I'm so pleased with this book. Unlike so many others I've bought, it isn't trying to thrust the author's aesthetic on you. It gives you the tools to create your own style, but in a down to earth, totally makes sense kind of way. I haven't been sewing for long, but have so far found it really easy to follow.

The illustrations and instructions are really clear - it's a real shame there's no Amazon 'Look inside' tool for you to see these. For each of the three basic dress patterns, there are several projects and then suggested variations. It really helps you to understand the construction of the dresses and where you can take them.

I think this is going to be a book which I turn to again and again for years to come. Thanks Wendy!
on 30 July 2010
I read lots of reviews on this before I ordered & hesitated as so many said it only caters for smaller sized ladies & as a uk 16 was uncertain if it was worth purchasing. I am so pleased I did. The sizes are xs,s,m,l & xl & I fall into large which sounds about right to me. Some may have had problems as the patterns (or slopers) dont have seam allowences & you have to add these yourself which is easy enough to do but if you don't the garment will be too small!

Anyway is shows lots of different options that you could use to adapt three basic dress patterns. Eg. collars, cuffs, hems, pockets, trims etc. & then there are samples/ideas off how to do this. 25 in total. Suprizingly these 25 dresses are all very differnt.

I have never used anything from 'built by wendy' before but if this is format of her other books I would like them too!

It's very clear & easy to follow.

I can't decide whether its a + or - that there are no real photographes in the book - it is VERY well illustrated but nothing seems real. But then again real pictures may put you off certain designs or date or limit your own creativity???

All in a must for anyone that wants to make their own dresses.
on 6 April 2012
the book is nice and offers many ideas for customizing basic dresses, I'm sorry that it does not include a few more sizes (i'm a 16/18 and will need to adjust patterns if I want to use them)
on 12 August 2015
some sewing instructions quite sparse so need some dressmaking experience. Some necklines do not sit very well as they need to be cut on the curve of the neckline rather than straight. This ensures that they sit round the shoulders/neck rather than standing off from it. However some good basic shapes to play around with if you already have some skills.
on 19 February 2014
Loved it. Received in good condition and looking forward to putting this book to good use. Thank you very much.
on 30 June 2010
I just received the book, and was a bit dissappointed. The clothes/patterns look very 80's or something: very big and loose. I like clothes that fit, not a big bag on me. Well, I think many will love this book and the style of the clothes too, it is modern and temporary, I think. And of course I can change the patterns to make fitting and not too loose clothes.

I would have liked to see photographs of the clothes also, all the images are drawn. And I think the patterns are quite alike, not enough variation maybe.
on 18 March 2013
I do this this is a good book to help sewing enthusiasts make easy alterations to the patterns included,hopefully some will then start to enjoy pattern cutting itself
on 5 July 2015