The authors guide you through building full-featured Windows Store apps that merge the best aspects of desktop, web, and mobile apps into a single user and developer experience. You’ll learn how to leverage the full power of the Windows 8 platform and integrate services ranging from client-side state to offline storage. Leveraging these techniques, you can deliver information to users faster, more clearly, and more concisely, on whatever devices they prefer.
- Understanding powerful new improvements in Windows 8 developer experience
- Using Windows 8’s more flexible binding to update the UI as underlying data changes
- Creating layouts and typography that fit Windows 8 style and leverage its advantages
- Working with audio, video, captured media, animation, and HTML5 graphics
- Making your app “connectable” with PlayTo
- Integrating WinJS navigation services to improve UI control
- Maintaining app states built up over time, and sharing them across devices
- Writing highly responsive async apps
- Supporting true-touch metaphors and interactions, location data, and sensors
- Designing apps for the Windows 8 design language
- Discovering best practices for monetizing Windows Store apps
All of the downloadable examples can be created and run with Microsoft’s free Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8, which includes all you need to build, package, and deploy your Windows Store apps.