Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 August 2001
Herbie Hancock's beautiful foreword prepares the reader for a wonderfully written, refreshingly practical introduction to Nichiren Buddhism. This book is an easy-to-read rendering of profound Buddhist concepts. My favorite aspect of this book is that the authors have made various complex Buddhist theories easily applicable to our daily lives. It teaches that enlightenment is not an unreachable goal but a real state of life, and one that is available to each of us, here and now, just as we are. I also highly recommended "Open Your Mind, Open Your Life: A Little Book of Eastern Wisdom" by Taro Gold which contains many rare quotations by the Buddhist teachers discussed in "The Buddha in Your Mirror." Excellent!
on 19 February 2006
The Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin (or Mahayana Buddhism) is explained so perfectly in this book and it is very easy to encompass into your daily life without much effort at all. You don't have to change a thing about yourself! Described as a philosophy of life rather than a religion (i.e. no praying to a God involved!), the authors explain all of the deep meaningful practice in every-day, easy-to-understand words. Basically the book explains that when you chant NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO twice a day you become enlightened and bring forth your budda nature (which lies inherent in everyone) and you start to see your life in a very different way. Therefore meaning you are in rhythm with life. Then you start to realise that yourself and your environment are one and you start to cope with life's hardships and blows full-on with wisdom, compassion and courage. Basically from my experience this really works and is something you can try for about 3 months and then stop if you notice no change. There are no rules! In fact I really feel that people are actually put off by the words Buddhism or Buddha and therefore neglect to realise their great potential. I'm in my mid 20's and I never thought I would change so many negative thoughts and feelings I was having on a daily basis; but now I just feel so refreshed and positive! It's great! So buy this book and have a go!
You will come to realise that the only thing you can rely on in this life to make you truly happy - is YOU!! GO FOR IT!
on 17 September 2008
This book is far easier to understand than the Causton one, for anyone struggling to understand the basic principles of Nichiren Buddhism. It is clear and easy to read, conveying all you need to know to satisfy your interest and answer your questions
on 3 October 2010
very good quick easy reading for people who are broad minded and looking for an opportunity to improve ones quality of life. A definite read.
on 19 September 2008
THIS BOOK IS "SIMPLE" YET "PROFOUND" AND DOES NOT IMPOSE "RELIGION" PER SE ON YOU. FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER APPROACHED THE PHILOSPHY'S OF BUDDHA BEFORE IT EXPLAINS THE BELIEFS AND TECHNIQUES IN AN EASY TO UNDERSTAND AND PRACTISE FORMULA. ON A DEEPER LEVEL IT IS PROFOUND BEYOND ANYTHING I HAVE PREVIOUSLY ENCOUNTERED INCLUDING ALL PURPORTIDLY LIFE CHANGING TEXTS. THIS BOOK HAS NOT ONLY CHANGED MY LIFE BUT LITERALLY SAVED MY LIFE. I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM AN ILLNESS IN BOTH MY EARS AND HAVE BEEN DEAF FOR EIGHTEEN MONTHS.
DOCTORS HAVE DONE ALL THEY CAN BUT NOTHING HAS HELPED ME. I GOT TO THE POINT WHERE I HAD LOST ALL HOPE AND WAS WITHIN DAYS OF LOSING THE JOB I HAVE STRUGGLED TO KEEP TO MAINTAIN AS NORMAL A LIFESTYLE AS POSSIBLE WHILST SUFFERING DEAFNESS IN BOTH EARS WHICH HAS MANIFESTED TO BE MENIERES SYNDROME AND SEVERE TINNITUS. HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES OF EVERY KIND HAD BEEN TRIED WITHOUT SUCCESS. WITHIN DAYS OF PRACTISING THE THOUGHT PROCESSES METHODS AND TECHNIQUES EXPOUNDED IN THIS BOOK MY HEARING HAS RECOVERED TO A DEGREE WHERE I CAN FUNCTION WITH CLEAR HEARING (WITH A HEARING AID WHICH PREVIOUSLY HAD NOT HELPED EITHER). I URGE ANYONE WHO IS SUFFERING ANY KIND OF PERSONAL STRESS STRAIN OF ANY KIND WHETHER MARITAL.. HEALTH... WORK .....SOCIAL... WHATEVER.. TO BUY THIS BOOK AND REGAIN THEIR LIVES. AS HERBIE HANCOCK SAYS IN THE EXCELLENT INTRODUCTION "WHAT HAVE YOU TO LOSE BUT YOUR BLUES" IF IT'S NOT FOR YOU IT'S NOT BUT IT HAS TRULY GIVEN ME MY LIFE BACK.
on 23 July 2015
I have been practicing Buddhism for just under 4 years now and this book was the starting point on my journey. I have recently spoken to someone who had been practising Buddhism for 28 years and that person said that he would have never believed at the beginning if someone had told him how much his life would change for the better. I know the feeling now and I attributle the success I've experienced in both my professional and personal lives over the last 4 years to my practice. Ultimately, like with everything in life, one gets out what one puts in. The book itself raises an awareness and points in the right direction; the task of putting the principles in one's life is that person's responsibility. But the results are well worth it. I also recommend Buddha in Daily Life by Richard G Causton and Good Life, Good Death: Tibetan Wisdom on Reincarnation by Gehlek Nawang.
on 27 December 2010
A good first book for those interested in the search for the meaning of life. I still recite the lotus mantra and find it somehow reassuring.
on 27 April 2014
This book has been read over and over. I always find something relevant. A must read for any one starting Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism.
on 30 October 2013
This is the book to read if you're interested in Nichiren Buddhism. It is very easy to read and explains everything in very clearly. I know I will read it again and again. This is definitely the best book on this subject and I would highly recommend it.
on 28 August 2014
Very thought provoking As a Buddhist I already was aware of a lot of the concepts but this is written well and makes them easy to understand, so useful for someone new to Buddhism and as a reminder to others