• Bryn

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 October 2003
The world's greatest living Welshman delivers on all counts with this outstanding new album. Highlights include the beautiful Pearl Fishers' Duet with Andrea Bocelli, a moving rendition of "Shenandoah", and the touching theme tune from "The Vicar of Dibley" (The Lord Is My Shepherd). There's something for everyone here, whether it is Bryn's own rousing performance of the theme from Titanic (I love the Italian), or the spectacular Toreador Song. At 78 minutes, this new album is outstanding value.
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Out of all Bryn Terfel's recordings this is the one to have. The voice is given a very natural treatment. All the diction is clear and the power, the gravity, the joy, the tenderness of this voice is to the fore in these offerings. But also what sumptuous accompaniments - the London Symphony Orchestra, the London Voices, Catrin Finch on harp (track 3), Neil Martin on pipes (tracks 2 and 12) and Martin Taylor on guitar (track 18). Bryn duets beautifully with Andrea Bocelli (track 4) and Sissel (track 11). There are many lovely arrrangements by Chris Hazell.
This CD affirms life's significance- from outpouring of sadness, through joy, the sense of home and a position in the universe near to the throne of God. There are songs with spiritual statements - At the River, Swing Low Sweet Chariot, The Lord is my Shepherd, Abide with me, and Ave Maria. There are classics from Bizet, Brahms, Dvorak, Schubert and Tchaikovsky. But one message that seems to come across from the whole CD is summed up with 'If I can help somebody.' There are some tender love songs including Shenandoah, the Welsh - Bugeilio'r Gwenith Gwyn, Danny Boy, Bella Notte, and the Love Theme from 'Titanic'. From the opera come the Toreador's Song which introduces this CD and the Pearl Fishers duet. I have some favorite tracks. I did not know that Dvorak's 9th Symphony 2nd movement had been given words - 'Goin Home.' (track 8). And finally the last track with its complete simplicity 'Lazybones'.
The accompanying sleeve booklet is excellent and a joy. This is the CD to own and spend time with.
on 5 December 2003
This is a wonderful mix of classic and folk songs sung by a man with a voice from heaven. It is so refreshing to hear Bryn rather than thousands of Italians....! Such deep resonance and the choice of songs is fabulous.My father died this year...his favourite song, which he sang to me a child, was "Danny Boy", we played "The Lords my shepherd" at his funeral and as a soldier, "Abide with me" was the only song I ever saw him cry to at a Remembrance service. All in all, this CD ranks among my favourite already, and my father would have loved it too. A must for anyone for Christmas.
On this album, Bryn sings a selection of classical pieces, folk songs, movie songs, hymns and the occasional popular song that doesn't fit any of these categories. There's even a Christmas song (Ave Maria - the Schubert version), which features the brilliant Sissel as a duet partner.

The set opens in great style with Bryn's recording of the Toreador song (from Carmen). Other songs from the classical repertoire include Going home, None but the lonely heart and Brahms' lullaby. The two featured movie songs are Bella notte (from Lady and the tramp) and Il mio cuore va (from Titanic). Bryn is particularly good at singing hymns, here represented by The lord is my shepherd, Swing low sweet chariot and Abide with me. Shenandoah and Danny boy represent the folk song tradition in America and Ireland respectively. The set closes with Lazybones, a song co-written by Hoagy Carmichael and Johnny Mercer. I've heard several versions of this song and while this isn't my personal favorite, Bryn sings it brilliantly and I'm glad he recorded it.

This is yet another Bryn Terfel album that maintains a high quality from the very first track to the very last. If I haven't mentioned your favorite track, it's because they are all so great.
on 26 November 2004
Why have I decided to write a review of this CD? Well, I have found such happiness and peace listening to this music, I wanted to let anyone out there know it is a wonderful CD.
The song "The Lord is my Shepherd" on this CD is a lovely version, with a great choir singing in the background. Sometimes this makes me cry, sometimes it raises me up - I would recommend anyone who has not heard this, to give it a go - it is so uplifting and joyous. Bryn is a fabulous singer, he puts real feeling into his songs! Good man!
on 25 November 2003
My friend Phil and I love this album. The cover of 'The Lord is my Shepherd' is simply outstanding. But the ultimate highlight of this incredible masterpiece is the breath taking duet with Bocelli. We listen to it all the time; it changed our lives forever. We eagerly awaited this album for 3 years, but it was worth the wait.
Thank you Bryn for changing our lives,
your fans forever, Alex and Phil
on 22 August 2013
I heard Bryn sing Ave Maria from this CD on Classic FM and bought the CD on the strength of it, expecting the rest of the album to be as excellent, sadly it wasn't. Ave Maria was the best thing on it. I always enjoy watching Bryn on television and listening to him but was sadly, very disappointed with this CD and probably won't listen to it much. Such a shame.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2013
This man has an absolutely gorgeous natural voice - no fireworks yet is able to "Firework" when the aria requires. This cd covers a wide range varying from opera, musical, familiar and not-so-well known, Invaluable part of any collection for the pure tone alone.
on 3 November 2013
Bryn, Bryn, Bryn... what can I say but delightful, delicious, de-wonderful! This cd exceeded all my expectations, and the music was passable too! I heartily recommend this to all Terfel fans.
on 8 May 2014
I ORDERED THIS CD SO THAT I COULD USE TWO OF THE TUNES AT MY DADS FUNERAL.
SWING LOW SWEET CHARIOT AND THE 23RD PSALM.
ALL WENT WELL ON THE DAY.