on 23 October 2000
I have only had this CD about 6 hours but already it is making it's third circuit of the CD player. Bryn is singing at his best. From the rousing "We'll Keep a Welcome" to the peace and tranquiity of Ar Lan Y Mor. He is a Welsh man so singing in his own language must be a thrill for him. It is certainly a thrill for me, and I don't understand a word of the Welsh Language. I don't have to, the music and Bryns wonderful bass voice tells it's own story. It has landed me with a problem, I used to think he would never produce anything better than "Something Wonderful", now I'm not so sure. His "classical" albums such as his "Opera Arias" are also magnificant, but this Welsh man sounds so natural singing in his own environment and with his own people I think I would have to say this is better than any of his previous albums. It contains so much music familiar to all, his "Welsh" version of AR HYD Y NOS, All through the night, is truely superb. Oh to be born with a voice like his.
on 26 December 2003
I was given this album as a Christmas present, and I can only say it's one of the best presents I've ever received! Lots of old favourites are here, including 'Sosban fach' and of course 'Land of my Fathers'. But for me the highlights are a truly rousing rendering of 'Men of Harlech' (enough to make even an army of the dead want to rise and fight!)and Bryn's impassioned delivery of one of the greatest of hymns, 'Cwm Rhondda (Bread of Heaven)'. Even if one is not religious (and I am not), this must surely move all who hear it - it had me in tears. It comes from the guts, and it goes straight to the guts. Terrific stuff!
on 23 December 2001
As an ex pat Welsh girl living in NZ, just to listen to it made me imagine I was back amongst the hills and valleys of Wales. My NZ husband revels in the rousing chorus of Men of Harlech, and I sobbed to my little Welsh home. Fantastic!!! I'll be playing this when we 'Come home again to Wales' in two years.
on 30 September 2001
Bryn Terfyl and the other musicians have produced a tour de force of Welsh popular and historical music. Terfyl is superlative and he ranges his voice from his natural bass-baritone to almost tenor - moving along the scale as the songs require. If one is Welsh these songs vary between a soaring rendition to fight for language and culture to a sentimetal journey through what Welshness is. However, even if one is not Welsh then the sheer quality and power of these recordings is a joy to wallow in. (Although medieval anglo-saxons might be chilled by some of the lyrics!). One simply cannot praise this album sufficiently, let alone too much. Mike Gable
on 28 October 2000
As a Welsh person living away from my homeland of Wales, listening to Bryn's marvellous choice of songs has been wonderful. The ballards sung in Welsh - Ar Lan Y Mor, Suo Gan and Myfanwy are particularly haunting and bring back fond memories. The whole CD is a treat to listen to!
on 31 August 2001
Bryn has excelled himself once again with this moving, rousing and patriotic offering. Technically wonderful, precise yet human and warm, his voice and repertoire continue to improve and mature. He sings with pride, warmth depth and compassion on this wonderful CD.
on 16 November 2000
This is a superb CD with classical and lesser known Welsh hymns and folk songs. The music is sung by the artist and choir without the silly tricksiness of comtemporary CDs with similar content. It was a joy to hear the songs as I remember them, with the song as star and not lost in an attempt on the singer's behalf to "do something new" with the standards. The lyrics are clear and the singing so full of passion that it stirs the soul of a fellow countryman.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 September 2013
My task: find a Terfel CD for my Dad. Now I know little about male voice choirs, Terfel, etc. even though I am half Welsh, and know the power bit of hwyl! Choosing a present for the old boy was tough - what to choose? It looked all similar, I was at a loss: some of the repertoire was as on other albums, which stymied me, so I took a punt. Glad to report Pater was DELIGHTED! He says that this is a very WELSH CD with oodles of info on the very useful pamphlet/booklet included. Clearly he was impressed by the care taken; he also said that the songs are different in that he uses small choirs, Which are North Welsh ones, thus it is not a CD which duplicates what you have, it will complement other versions of it, at 'worse'. So on my Dad's say-so, if you want a present and know the possible recipient has the songs on other discs, as long as this is not already in their hands I strongly recommend you buy this. After all, Father is never wrong! I know; he told me.
I might be slightly biased here being Welsh but this is a fantastic album of Welsh songs Bryn terfel has one of those voices that you can listen to continuously as he and the choir melt your heart I would highly recommend this.
on 17 August 2015
I love to listen to Bryn Terfel singing, to me he is the voice of Wales . I totally love Welsh songs even though I am not from Wales.I can listen to this cd over and over again.