Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Board book|Change

on 19 September 2001
"Baa-ber, Baa-ber" (Brown Bear, Brown Bear), and I would pick up the rest! I have learned to read the text of this enchanting chanting book very fast, as my 14 month old daughter turns the pages so rapidly, in order to reach the next animal.
We make up names for all the childrens faces and she even learned to identify the animals and colours on the last page by asking her 'where's the yellow duck?' etc.
All in all, a very enjoyable and educational book from an accomplished (and understanding) author. More please.
on 12 April 2002
we bought this book when my son was 15 months old and he has loved it ever since! when asked to pick a book he will always find this one first among his pile. he loves to turn the pages faster and faster so we have to speed up to keep up with him. at first he loved all the animals,then the childrens faces and now he is fascinated by the colours so this is definitely a book he will love to come back to time and time again.
on 13 March 2006
Lovely book that is not only fun but really educational for the under 2's. My 17 month old daughter picked up all the animals and said what they were within two days of getting this book!!! (mind you we do seem to read it about 20 times a day).
on 11 December 2005
My babies are only 8 months old but they have been enjoying this book for a while now. The pictures are so bright, they cant wait for me to turn the next page, and everytime i do, a new smile appears. I highly recommend it for those who are looking for something for younger children. However, this is not a board or hardcover book, so careful because they will eat it...
on 26 April 2000
This is the best young children's book -EVER I have used this book for many years, both in Canada and in England, to introduce young children to the colour words and to the joy of reading. I am presently using it with children with severe learning difficulties and it is just as successful and popular. In fact it is so popular that I have laminated the pages of our current book to help it last out the year. I have made several games to accompany this book. "Polar Bear, Polar bear, What do you hear?" is also useful but somehow not as powerful or as popular as "Brown Bear" Many thanks to Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle for a wonderful teaching aid.
on 8 December 1999
TBT (18 months) asks for this book by name, and announces what he has pulled off the shelf as he comes over with it. 'Bro bairr,' is what he comes out with.
Here, just as in Jan Pienkowski's 'Dinner Time' there is a simple, though engaging, rhythm. Turning the pages and reading each line becomes a gentle, lilting mantra, a considered tumbling over of words. It is repetitive without being dull, each animal bringing with it a different colour, shape, texture and noise. The words, like the chorus of a song, hang together and acquire their own beat, so much so that you can find yourself bouncing the little ones on your knee.
It begins, 'Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? I see a .....' As Zozo (3 yrs 6 months) got older I would prompt her to guess what is coming next. Anna, her cousin, (8 yrs at the time) only had to hear me read it out a few times to know it off by heart.
Well presented information like this will stick to a child's brain like a fuzzy ball to a jumper. For me to learn it I'd have to write it all down and test my knowledge. We want Eric Carle prints on the wall!
I was amazed to find Eric Carle has illustrated so many books. Thanks Amazon. Several were purchased yesterday as gifts for four nephews and three nieces.
on 13 November 2014
The rhythm of this book makes it a pleasure to read to my son.

I've read this book over and over. The upbeat rhythm prevents it from ever getting monotonous - even after 6 months.

I can even recite this book to my son without looking at the book. Just keep to the rhythm and make up the animals... I see a purple duck, yellow zebra and so on.

I highly recommend this book for parents of newborns. Your child will eventually recognise this book from the way it's read.
on 20 February 2012
We lost our beloved boardbook copy of Brown Bear, Brown Bear so I came on Amazon to buy a new one. I thought that the slide book would be even a bigger hit than the original, but to our dismay the last page that has all of the animals on it, does not exist in this version. If you don't think you will miss that page, than you will enjoy this book, but my kids loved that page and we spent a lot of time on it. When my 18 month old read this with me for the first time, he got to the end and just kind of looked at me like, what happened? It is also a lot larger than the original board book, which makes it not as toddler friendly to carry around.
on 27 September 2001
This is a lovely colourful book and the children are delighted when it is read to them. It allows the children to recognise animals and colours. Instead of telling the children what the anmials sees you can turn over the page and ask the children what the animal is. They love to tell you the animal and the colour. Even though the animals are not the correct colour it teaches the child many colours. At the end it shows all the animals and the children can go over all the animals and colours on one page. A great book to read with a group of children.
on 15 November 2014
My 10 month old daughter LOVES this book. She always seeks it out from the pile and has done since she was 6 months or so. Lovely great colours and animals for younger babies too. Just the right length and sturdy board quality